Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #1

454 P30 exhaust manifold leak

Hi,

My RH side exhaust manifold is leaking. I hate that noise. Tried putting in a new manifold gasket but leaks even worse now. I guess these warp. Any ideas ?? Is there a gasket material / cement to help seal the leaks?

Thanks
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Get a product by Permatex called Right Stuff, I have used it for manifold gaskets for years, plain the manifold down with a file get a new gasket ( fiber not steel shim) and new bolts help. I needed a header gasket on our ARCA race truck at the track one night and didn't have one, everybody laughed at me when I gooped it up with Right Stuff and bolted it on. It never leaked all season.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

What type of gasket did you use? Try using a metal multi wafer type, torque it once and you're done.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with the make sure the head and manifold mating surface is flat, then the multi wafer gasket. Also make sure that the manifold is not cracked.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #5

Make sure it is flat and smooth surface.

Replace all studs with high grade of correct type.

Race guys can suggest good product there.

Correct gasket and careful tightening the correct torque order and level.

Wrong hardware may break or expand when hot so heed advice of the pros regarding parts.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
What type of gasket did you use? Try using a metal multi wafer type, torque it once and you're done.
X'S 2 had the same problem they used the standard type that didn't last a year. They then replaced it with the metal/wafer type and have had no problems since. Going on 4 years now.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Warped manifolds are very common in RVs, and well known to everyone who has a 454. Most of the wiser folk give up the first time and just convert to headers. Thorley has a weird rubberized gasket that is nothing short of amazing. I've not seen it anywhere else. I installed them on my 454, no leaks. When I pulled the 454 and went to the 502, I re-used the SAME OLD gasket. That was probably 5 years and still no leaks. Not sure what the material is, but to be able to remove the headers after 4 years, and have the gasket still look and function like new is pretty incredible.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
is it the same stuff that we see on TV.?
I just bought a can but not the same brand.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #9

Gus68, I don't know if you've solved or accepted your exhaust leak problem but I have a pair of NOS GM welded stainless steel exhaust manifolds for the 454. I bought them before diving into my exhaust leak. I was lucky, my problem was with the A.I.R. plumbing and a heat wrench, 6-point socket, 3/4" electric impact wrench and finally a M22X1.5mm tap and 8 oil drain plugs for a Dodge Ram diesel truck solved my problem.

I'd like to move these manifolds to a new home. Interested?

P.S. I can talk at some length of why GM made these.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #10

manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToolmaker View Post
Gus68, I don't know if you've solved or accepted your exhaust leak problem but I have a pair of NOS GM welded stainless steel exhaust manifolds for the 454. I bought them before diving into my exhaust leak. I was lucky, my problem was with the A.I.R. plumbing and a heat wrench, 6-point socket, 3/4" electric impact wrench and finally a M22X1.5mm tap and 8 oil drain plugs for a Dodge Ram diesel truck solved my problem.

I'd like to move these manifolds to a new home. Interested?

P.S. I can talk at some length of why GM made these.
I gave up on mine. Can you send me some pics? How much for yours?
Old 12-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs up

You say you tried putting in a new manifold gasket. Did you do it your self or did you pay to have it done. If you did it your self then we can talk. If you get the manifold off you will see it is warped. Make a 1/8 cut in the webbing between the ports. You will find that it will come back straight and also let it flex some. There was a GM tech service bulletin out back in the day stating this very method to cure manifold problems. On new replacement manifolds the webbing is already cut. I have done this very thing on different big blocks that i have owned and it works.
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsides View Post
You say you tried putting in a new manifold gasket. Did you do it your self or did you pay to have it done. If you did it your self then we can talk. If you get the manifold off you will see it is warped. Make a 1/8 cut in the webbing between the ports. You will find that it will come back straight and also let it flex some. There was a GM tech service bulletin out back in the day stating this very method to cure manifold problems. On new replacement manifolds the webbing is already cut. I have done this very thing on different big blocks that i have owned and it works.
I will get it a try in the spring.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #13

545 gasket leak

The 454 heads have lots of expansion and elongation. Very important to get the manifold sealed with the proper bolt tightening sequence and proper torque. Important to have the header surfaced at a tuning shop. The longer you wait to correct the blown gasket the greater probability permanent damage will occur on the mating surfaces. Probably would help to install a flex pipe where the header meets the exhaust. The constant torquing of the chassis and vibration coupled with heat cooling cycles contributes to burned out gaskets. I also know that tuned headers can stop the problem of burned gaskets, while providing additional output horse power, if you want to go for the additional expense. Good luck with your
Professorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #14

Just an added note. When I bought my old HR the 454 had an awful exhaust leak. I just took it to a local shop and had the gasket and a couple of studs replaced. It was great for about a year. Then the noise started coming back. I crawled up under there and found the point that has the donut gaskets were getting loose. I re torqued them myself and have had no further issues.
glennj3cub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, leak, p30