Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
What is the number of that filter?
Since stores carry many different numbers for ALL filters and also for the sizes I would just ask for XXXX filter and tell them what size (1-2) quart you prefer.....
Even "Carquest" has had a recent number change in my area...Why? I have NO idea.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #44

ill look this afternoon for the # i got one about $15

Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
can I use the Delo in my 454 as it only has 5300 mi's on it. it's a 1978 and no the milage has not turned over, this is actuall miles. it wasn't used much and then it sat for 10 yrs. i have only put about 700 mi on it since dec.. it needs an oil change. thanks

Outlaw
Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post
can I use the Delo in my 454 as it only has 5300 mi's on it. it's a 1978 and no the milage has not turned over, this is actuall miles. it wasn't used much and then it sat for 10 yrs. i have only put about 700 mi on it since dec.. it needs an oil change. thanks

Outlaw
I can see NO reason why not to use the "Delo 15-40" on your rig, The engines back in those days were kinda loose and the valve seat spring pressures were also much lower than todays roller cams....

Some of the "Big dawgs" strip cars are running even thicker oils but again those engines are spinning up beyond 7,000 RPMs

Jim
Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
thanks Jim, will do.

Outlaw
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #48

Thumbs up It's good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post

Outlaw
The Delo can be used at any mileage since it is not synthetic; in fact the company that built my engine said to use it as a break-in oil because it would protect the engine better than other oils. With that kind of recommendation, I'm using it as my regular oil in my MH.
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
now thats good news. so a Delo here I come.lol

Outlaw
Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #50

Just out of curiosity has anyone used shell rotella diesel HD oil? Think that's 15w40 aswell,would of thought it had similar advantages as the Delo which sounds pretty decent oil.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes rottela is basicaly the same,i switched from delo to rottela ,because it was getting harder to get delo at my parts store.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy14 View Post
Yes rottela is basicaly the same,i switched from delo to rottela ,because it was getting harder to get delo at my parts store.
Like Grumpy sez, Rotella 15-40 is very close to Delo 15-40.

The only thing I'm not up to date on is the amount of "ZDDP" between the two which is important with the usage of the mandated lesser oils.....

Jim
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
See and I have the exact opposite problem, mine doesn't heat up enough to blow heat. I live in the hills of western Pa. and drove to a campground after midnite. It was getting a little chilly on the way so I turned the heater on but the engine temp doesn't get high enough to blow warm air. Being that I park it for the winter I'm happy with it just the way it is. And mine is a 1986 27' winnie with 454cid.
And you have a stuck thermostat, probably, which will cause you to burn more gas than you should
Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
And you have a stuck thermostat, probably, which will cause you to burn more gas than you should

I'm getting more than 11mpg on a 454 driving in the hills of western Pa which is pretty good for a 1986 27ft winnie. I never said it doesn't warm up but it barely does which is fine with me. Why would I change anything when it runs good and doesn't overheat and gets great mileage?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #55

jim i just did 2000 miles new dist i dont know where its set but just under 8 mpg so i nee to tweek it as i puled the truck ill try to email you
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #56

My trusty 1990 28' Southwind is still runs great and I have kept it going for the last 20+ years. Over the last 5 years or so, it has been running hotter and hotter during hill climbing or when pulling a load. I have read numerous blogs and forums about now to fix this problem but now the radiator has a fairly significant leak and will need to be repaired/replaced.

I am going to try the replacement myself and just need a few tips on how to get started and any things to watch out for. Don't need the obvious step-by-step stuff. It looks like the front will have to be jacked up to drop the radiator out the bottom The transmission cooler will have to be detached along with the other obvious stuff like the electric fans, hoses, shroud, etc. It looks like the transmission cooler has enough flex in the hoses to just hinge forward to clear the radiator.

Now that I have it out, should I get a new one? Get it rodded out and repaired? Or, buy an expensive replacement with more cores, etc. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.