Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #1

454 TBI question....

Our Bounder with 11K miles appears to run fine. However, when climbing up grades, there is this delicate edge regarding the throttle that if you use too much throttle you hear and feel a drop off of power. Throttle back a bit and performance picks up. I have to be very aware of how much throttle is being used.

Is this throttle dead zone pretty normal or could there be something amiss regarding the vacuum advance or timing issue. Or something else? Plugs, wires, dist cap were new in 2014. Not sure about vacuum hoses.

Also any recommendations regarding installing a tach!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

Is it in 3rd when it does this? What happens if you shift it to 2nd? Or from 2nd to 1st? Does it fall on it's face? Sounds like you may have a fuel delivery issue... I would start by putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and "seeing" what is going on pressure wise. Even though it's fuel injected, I believe there is a fuel filter on the frame rail.

Just a thought... do you have more that say, a 1/4 tank of fuel when climbing those grades? If low on fuel the coach could be running out of gas until level again as the tube pickup may be located towards the front of the tank like my coach's is.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

I think alot depends on the grade and the speed/RPM's. I have a 92 with the same motor. Yours is bigger and heavier. I run up 6% grades at 3200 rpm and that gives me about 40 mph or so. If I am towing more like 35. I agree that there is a "sweet" spot in the throttle. I back off the throttle so that the motor is happy and at a steady speed. There is really no chance of increasing speed unless you drop a gear and increase RPM's up to 4000(or more) which I try never to do. My motor has about 20k miles and is bored .030. I have an aftermarket tach, to me it is more important than the speedo. I think what you are experiencing is normal.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #4

As mentioned in post #2 sounds like a fuel problem.

You mention changing many things but not the gas filter.

Although not scheduled by mileage, it is well over due by years.

Beside its a cheap test.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

I had a 96 Storm, same motor, same issue. It was the fuel filter. The secondaries would open and not get nuff gas, just air.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with the others, change the fuel filter, when you are asking for more power, the motor is starving for fuel. That's why when you back off a little it runs fine.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #7

Had not thought of a fuel delivery issue as the engine run fine at all times except the drop in performance at WOT. Also doesn't matter which gear I am in. Really would like to install a tach. Any idea where the fuel filter would be located?
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The fuel filter should be along the frame railin the middle of the fuel line. Make sure you get a filter made for fuel injection and not a carb. The FI requires much higher pressure.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

To me it sounds like a throttle position sensor.
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags