Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #1

460 Exhaust Manifold Gasket replace

Howdy all. I have just purchased a 1997 Southwind 32V on the F53 chassis with a 460 engine. One of the manifold gaskets has a leak and the annoying clicking sound that goes with it. Just wondering what I am looking at $ wise to have them replaced. The motor home has a little over 26000 miles on it and drives great. I know that 460's are famous for breaking off studs. Don't know if that is the case here. Thanks for any input you can give me. This is our first motor home and I drove it home today after two weeks of myself and two friends have put new brakes on it all the way around and removing rust from the entire chassis spraying it with rust reformer and undercoating. I am having new tires installed tomorrow including a new spare at my local Les Schwab Tire Center. Then off to have the exterior detailed. I am exhausted working on it every day for the past two weeks and want to hire this done. Thanks my Friends. Magnafique

Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

I know you stated that you wanted to farm this job out but you might want to reconsider it. I have a 88 Gulfstream with the 460 and was replacing the heads a while back. I doused the studs with "Liquid Wrench Blaster" for a week daily and still snapped three total. I'm a mechanic by trade and used every trick picked up over the years and still lost. The three broken bolts had no evidence of Buster on them. The rest of the story.. I also broke a head bolt off on the left head. At todays labor costs, unless you could get a written up front price no matter what happens, I could see it getting very expensive.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 97 Class C with a 460 in it. Under Warranty I had 1 head replace and then had to replace a 2nd one on my dime and pulled the first one back off to replace the exhaust gasket. I guess I was lucky and didn't break a single bolt but still not an easy job because access was tight. A Class A may be different.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can do the job yourself. Back in ~1999 when I did the one myself I think it cost $450.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

I have a 1988 E350 holiday rambler with a 460. It had 26,000 with three broken exhaust manifold bolts. I wound up drilling one out and had to weld nuts on the other two to get them out. Luckily it was the bolts in the rear so I could get to them easier. If it had been the front I probably would had to pull the head to fix it. I bought a dorman bolt kit and put copper manifold gaskets on it and so far no more problems.
Zoom45
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #5

My thanks to you all. After working underneath my vintage Southwind and replacing the starter and solonoid, it noticed that I can see most of the heat shields from under the MH and there appears to be a lot of access to the engine under the valve covers. So when my good friend ( Master Mechanic ) gets back from Alaska next month I think we will tackle it together in his well equipped heavy duty shop.
I also need to remove the front left jack because it has a torn seal caused by rust on the ram. So we will remove it as well and repair it. Getting closer to a complete and working motor-home. I also had all seven tires replaced with some 60,000 mile warranty tires $ 1700 ouch. I was trying to extend the slide and one of the two hydraulic hoses blew so am having them both replaced. Glad it happened on my RV Pad and not on the road. So I am getting to know the old girl better each day.

Ta Ta, Magnafique
Old 09-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #6

Don't be surprised if you have a cracked manifold. They are famous for that as well. I changed 2 on mine while I had it and the pass side was cracked again when I sold it last year.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #7

Removing the front wheels will open up a lot more room to work with. I would start spraying down the bolts once a week now. I would also spray where the manifold and head meet above each bolt location. It doesn't always work but sometimes the liquid will seep between and hit the bolt threads at the head (what you want).
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

460 exhaust manifold gaskets

Thanks PONY, yes I will begin doing that. I bought some AeroKroil that I have found to be very effective in loosening fasteners. Thanks for you suggestion.

Magnafique
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Equal parts acetone and ATF come highly recommended for the best ability to loosen rusty fasteners.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #10

You are so right Minicepter86. That is pretty much what Aero-Kroil is made of and I have only been using since starting work on my motor-home and it really does loosen up stuck screws etc. It is not a lubricant just a GREAT loosener. Magnafique
Old 10-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post
You are so right Minicepter86. That is pretty much what Aero-Kroil is made of and I have only been using since starting work on my motor-home and it really does loosen up stuck screws etc. It is not a lubricant just a GREAT loosener. Magnafique
I'll have to see if I can find Aero-Kroil the instead of mixing my own.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #12

Bought mine at NAPA.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
No manifold gaskets from the factory on your 460. The leak is probably a broken rear bolt on the right manifold. If you chassis is truly a 97 model year chassis, you will have easy access to the left manifold. 96 and earlier chassis had the master cylinder and hydro boost on the left frame rail.

Richard
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #14

Thanks Richard, do the heat shields mount above the exhaust manifolds???

Tom

Tags
ace, gas, replace