Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #1

460 motor

So I have an older 1988 RV that has a 460 motor with roughly 75,000 miles on it, I would like to buy a 460 motor and rebuild it slowly, I want to make sure I find the right motor for this unit, any ideas on where to start, does the motor have to be approx the same year? Carburated motor
Also, any suggestions on how to build it, Performance cam? Pistons?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #2

You might want to ask your questions on a Ford engine forum. You'll be in direct contact with the guys that eat, drink, sleep and breathe these 460s. I do know it is a good inexpensive platform to build/rebuild upon as these blocks are in abundance since the 429 and 460 differences were in the crankshaft. Prior experience reminds me not to overbuild the engine by going crazy with high performance camshaft profiles! Ask around and I'm sure there is a balancing or tipping point of how much compression and camshaft you can introduce before reducing your MPG even more. Sounds like a fun project.. good luck with it!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
i would start by checking your vin and serial #s i have a 87 with 460 and
had a hard time finding gaskits after going to ford and running my numbers
i was told my motor came from factory with high flow heads had to special order the parts so i known now its not a run of the mill 460 hope this helps
you may have a standerd 460 but checking numbers will tell you
Old 11-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Hey thanks for information, I will do a little more research, not ready to pull the trigger for a while, just trying to figure out what I need

Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

If you buy a motor just make sure you get one with open chamber heads or otherwise you will have a problem with the high compression. You will have to run premium gas all the time and may not even get by with that. Late 70's on up should not be an issue with compression since they were all emissions engines. If you are going to modify it you want to go with a package from one manufacturer, I always use Edelbrock because I have always had good results from their products. They make a RV cam, manifold, carburetor combination for the 460 which has been tested many times over. I don't know if anyone still makes headers for big R/V's anymore but that would be the iceing on the cake. If you get the headers be sure to have them Jet-hot coated. Not cheap but they will last forever and run cooler. I have a cracked manifold on my 454 and I would love to find a set of heavy 14 gauge headers.

Rick
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
My first question would be, what is wrong with the engine in your rig now?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
X2

If you must rebuild a motor do not make it a high performance one . You need low rpm torque rv cam and low rpm tuned headers. Check out the motor specs as a 460 car engine maybe way diffident than a truck 460. Most truck engines have stronger rods/cranks/pistons.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
X2 I agree as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
X2

If you must rebuild a motor do not make it a high performance one . You need low rpm torque rv cam and low rpm tuned headers. Check out the motor specs as a 460 car engine maybe way diffident than a truck 460. Most truck engines have stronger rods/cranks/pistons.
any changes from stock configuration make it a higher performance engine which can be or not a good thing depending on the combination.
The 460s Ford put in RVs and F-350 isn't that different than a 460 in a LTD back in 1977. There ones that usually are much stronger are the HD engines like the 370-429 used in the F650s-F750s over the years.
460s Never came in these trucks from Ford.

I can advise you of a very good combination for you engine. (this was once my fulltime job doing this)
I worked at Crane Cams and my nickname there was Henry (because of my Ford knowledge) My real name is Jim
But there a few more things I need to know.

Does the RV have the Ford EFI or is it carbed?
I would assume it has a the 3 speed auto C6 Trans?
If you have a tach what RPM does the trans shift at @ WOT?
What is the Rear Gear ratio?
What is the weight?
Are you primarily at a high altitude(above 5,000 feet)?
What is your budget?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm with Phobos about asking the question as to what is wrong with the existing motor? I have an 88 Fleetwood Limited with 88,000 miles and it has an 87 carbureted 460. I just finished rebuilding the carburetor and it runs great. Doesn't use any oil and has good power. Unless the engine has tossed a rod or spun a crank bearing, etc., I would look to fix the one you have.

John
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #10

We need to talk. I pulled my 460 EFI from my 89 Fleetwood Limited Edition. It has the same mileage as yours. It's been setting in the back of my shop for close to.8 years now. I'd make you a heck of a deal on it if you want it. The C6 transmission is still attached. I re powered my big girl to diesel because of the places I try to go. And wanted to run bio diesel. So PM me and we'll see if I have what you want. The engine was running fine when it came out. I just needed More Power. So I swapped in a stronger motor.
I live in North Central Texas.