Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
5,000+ mile trip in the Bounder

Just got back on Friday from the first big trip my Bounder (1988) has ever been on. She was a lawn ornament for 20+ years in Florida before coming up north.

Left NJ 6/22, to Salt Lake City in 3 1/2 days, rest of week there, then south to Moab/Arches/Canyonlands/Dead Horse, then east home through Vail, Denver, KC, St Louis and so on.

She only skipped a beat two times - in Nebraska, I mistakenly pumped in about 70 gallons of E-85 gas, and I think the combination of ethanol concentration and 100+ temps gave her a vapor lock whenever we came to a stop - we were using US 50 for a couple of dozen miles just for a change of scenery from I-80, and she'd die at the stop signs. Started right back up though, and as soon as we figured out the problem, I pumped in about 40 gallons of Shell V-Power Super, and no more vapor locks. But boy did that tank pass gas when I unscrewed the cap!

I haven't done the full calculations, but I got between 7 and 8 mpg overall, and that's averaging about 53MPH (moving) by my GPS. We had the gennie running a LOT as well, due to the heat. Had a lot of wind both going out (Nebraska and Wyoming on I-80) and coming home (eastern Co. and Kansas on I-70.).

Did the I-70 run up past Vail and Eisenhower Tunnel, no problems, she chugged along at 27 MPH the whole way up! Down into Denver was no problem either, even in the rain at rush hour! But that run from Denver to KC is loooooooooooooong and booooooooooooooooring...

We went South Jersey - Hagerstown - Wheeling - Indianapolis - Quad Cities - Cheyenne - Evanston route, then I-84 from Echo to Ogden, UT, as we hit the Lake before getting down in to SLC. After four days in SLC, it was I-15 to Salina, then US 50, I-70, and Utah RT 191 to Moab for the parks. Then up to I-70, through CO, KS and MO, then picked up I-64 in St Louis, east to Norfolk, then the CBBT and Delmarva home.

Worst roads? I-64 around Charleston WV and Richmond VA. Other than random construction here and there, the only big slowdown we hit at all was a killer 3-hour backup on I-70 east of Cambridge, OH where it meets I-74. Traffic was not bad at all anywhere else, even I-15 from SLC to Provo which was supposed to be bad. Lot of fire smoke in the air, unfortunately.

Gas prices ranged from $3.09 to $3.79, not counting the $4.29 or so I paid for the Shell V-Power Super. Diesel was always 6-12 cents higher.

As a word of warning, for us folks driving older, carburetted engines in extreme heat - check the octane ratings on pumps in the midwest and Rocky Mountain area - much, if not all of the 'regular' gas was graded at 85 octane, not the more common 87 we see here in the east, and, I presume, in the far west. I pumped almost exclusively the 88 octane "mid-grade" once we wised up and had no problems.

Overall, the old gal didn't give us any real problems but for the vapor lock, and that wasn't her fault...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

Thanks for the ride along!

How much/where'd you camp, gen use while camped etc. Glad your trip was a good one.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you had a great trip and all went well. Yeah, I can recall the loooooooong boooooooring road betwen KC and Denver as well. We'll be headed that way possibly next year if all works out. Have a great rving season.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

Big one

Good for you,what a inspiration.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post

As a word of warning, for us folks driving older, carburetted engines in extreme heat - check the octane ratings on pumps in the midwest and Rocky Mountain area - much, if not all of the 'regular' gas was graded at 85 octane, not the more common 87 we see here in the east, and, I presume, in the far west. I pumped almost exclusively the 88 octane "mid-grade" once we wised up and had no problems.

Overall, the old gal didn't give us any real problems but for the vapor lock, and that wasn't her fault...
Octane requirements go down as the altitude increases so 85 octane is fine in higer areas. You MIGHT run into problems if you fill up with 85 then head to a much lower area and still have 85 octane to run on. But usually you'll fill up sooner so no problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Octane requirements go down as the altitude increases so 85 octane is fine in higer areas. You MIGHT run into problems if you fill up with 85 then head to a much lower area and still have 85 octane to run on. But usually you'll fill up sooner so no problem.
Yeah, true - as noted, we had our problems in Nebraska along the Platte, between Kearney and North Platte - elevation was probably around 1-2K?

Still, there's a big difference between the E10 we get here on the east coast, and E85 sold in the midwest. I guess it's important to realize that the "85" is not an OCTANE rating, but a PERCENTAGE. Supposedly, E85 is a 'higher' octane than 'regular' gasoline, but I think its efficiency in older vehicles not designed for flex-fuel is still under consideration.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Thanks for the ride along!

How much/where'd you camp, gen use while camped etc. Glad your trip was a good one.
Day 1 - Pilot, somewhere west of Columbus. - $0
Day 2 - Walmart, Atlantic Iowa - $0
Day 3 - Walmart, Laramie, Wyoming - $0
Day 4 - Century RV Park, Ogden UT (very nice!) - about $32 for full hookup
Day 5-7 - Salt Lake City KOA - $44/night, I think
Day 8-9 - Private farm, Mona UT - $0
Day 10 - Moab KOA - $34 for full hookup
Day 11 - Walmart, Rifle, CO - $0
Day 12 - Goodland, KS KOA - very nice - $32
Day 13 - Cottonwoods RV, Columbia MO - $34
Day 14 - Cracker Barrel, Beckley WV - 0

So less than $250 for all paid sites. We could have gone the Walmart route more often but The Wife really likes her hot showers, and after the first one in the Bounder when black gunk came out of the shower hose, she was, shall we say, reluctant to use it until I put a new hose on, and flush the system about 83 times.. I'll get to it.

We had the gennie on almost all the time when not hooked up, since the heat was pretty intense across the Midwest. SLC had a couple of 95+ days while we were there, and it didn't get much better as we headed east. The only time we had really cool temps was in Idaho Springs after the Eisenhower, when it was raining - about 65' for a couple of miles.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Got a big picture of that RV? I would love to see it. It's great to see an older unit like that all over the country.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Got a big picture of that RV? I would love to see it. It's great to see an older unit like that all over the country.
Shure due! I tried to take one at various stops - Sideling Hill in MD, Indiana Welcome Center, gassing up in Nebraska, etc etc. Here are a couple.
1 - I-80 Rest stop somewhere west of Des Moines
2 - Century RV Park, Ogden
3 - Mona, UT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 2-Iowa-Rest Stop, Saturday PM.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	23401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 4 - Century RV Park, Ogden.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	549.4 KB
ID:	23402  

Name:	Day 8-Mona, UT.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	23403  
Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Shure due! I tried to take one at various stops - Sideling Hill in MD, Indiana Welcome Center, gassing up in Nebraska, etc etc. Here are a couple.
3 - Mona, UT
Very nice, Old Rigs Rock!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
3 - Mona, UT
Nice rig and a great trip!

We try to take pictures of each of our campsites and any notable things in the area as we ramble along, specifically for DW's mom. She's in her 80s, and DW emails her every night with new pix, so she can "travel" along with us. The pictures get shared with other members of the family- we find this helps a bit with those who don't quite "get" our full-timing lifestyle.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very good! Now, that is adventure!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just realized I have a misprint/typo in my first post - the traffic tie up east of Cambridge OH was where I-70 and I-77 meet, not I-74 as posted. And it was of course US-30 in Nebraska, not US-50.

Here's Little America, and I-80 in western Wyoming...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Little America-13.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	23539   Click image for larger version

Name:	I-80, Western WY-5.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	23540  

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #14

we just finished a three trip to nashville tenn.i look at the last picture and boy does it bring back memories. plus it was HOT

Tags
bounder