Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #15

Quietwater, It could very well be the same, I was just relating what I did about 10 yrs. ago, long before I ever heard of IRV2. Just trying to pass along some info,didn't mean to upset you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #16

Ksagal, My old Southwind had only 1 selector switch. In the front cabinet right behind the drivers head. It allowed you to select front or rear AC, or none. This was for shore power. On generator both AC would work, no other switch. If yours is different it may take a bit more investigation.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
Ksagal, My old Southwind had only 1 selector switch. In the front cabinet right behind the drivers head. It allowed you to select front or rear AC, or none. This was for shore power. On generator both AC would work, no other switch. If yours is different it may take a bit more investigation.
My two switches are in the next cabinet back, but I have not yet experimented yet. Once this weather clears, I will be able to check it out better.

Additionally, my generator starts, but fails 10 seconds later. First plan is to get that running first, so I can then investigate the air conditioners...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #18

Karl, common causes of gennie starting but only running for a short time are a collapsing rubber fuel line, failing fuel pump or loose crud in the fuel filter.

Excellent troubleshooting guide here

and my favorite outfit for good advice and parts.

Incidentally, Napa parts interchange for all the motor and ignition parts- no need to pay Onan prices.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #19

Also, most gennie problems are related to not enough exercise. They simply don't do well if not run once a month or so with at least a half load.

Make sure that the gennie is not trying to start under load- throw the 2 little breakers on the gen itself or make sure the AC and any other loads are OFF . Always let the gen warm up for a few minutes before putting it under load.

The gen's fuel line reaches to about the 1/4 level on your main gas tank, so you can never run your tank dry inadvertantly. If your fuel level is at or near the 1/4 mark, it will make starting the gen problematic.

A good start with an older gennie is to take a one gallon can of gas and put in one or 2 containers of SeaFoam. Disconnect the gennie's fuel line from the gas tank side, and submerge in the gas can. Good time to replace the fuel line.

If it starts and runs, its a fuel line/filter issue. If it starts and dies, its likely a failing fuel pump- cheap and easy to replace. Run the entire gallon through the gennie; this will do wonders for cleaning out the varnish in the carb that occurs from gas evaporating out (the major cause of surging when the gennie runs.)

Keep note of how long your gen will run on this gallon of gas- good info to have for times when you're boondocking and you need to know what fuel consumption you cn expect from your gen.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Got it, I only saw the first picture with only one outlet box. You'd still have to figure out how to protect the second a/c when on shorepower though.
Do you mean low/high voltage protection or over current protection.. Most RV's do not provide the first by default.. (Only after market add-ons)

The second however is provided by a 20 amp breaker

And when you plug your 12 ga cord into the 15/20 amp outlet in the park box.....It is protected by a (Drum Roll Please) 20 amp breaker....So...Where is the problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Do you mean low/high voltage protection or over current protection.. Most RV's do not provide the first by default.. (Only after market add-ons)

The second however is provided by a 20 amp breaker

And when you plug your 12 ga cord into the 15/20 amp outlet in the park box.....It is protected by a (Drum Roll Please) 20 amp breaker....So...Where is the problem.

The surge protector (or what some may call EMS) is what I'm referring to. Some made by Progressive and Some TRC...everybody should have one. Now, if you break out the second a/c's connection and isolating it to a stand alone outlet box (so that you can power it up independently) and providing you also have said surge protection on shore power and you do not have a second one dedicated to this stand alone outlet- you will not be protected with the second generator. This isn't the only reason most rigs are designed the way they are but it is a good one.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Karl, common causes of gennie starting but only running for a short time are a collapsing rubber fuel line, failing fuel pump or loose crud in the fuel filter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Also, most gennie problems are related to not enough exercise. They simply don't do well if not run once a month or so with at least a half load...
Great posts! Thanks.

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator