Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
New guy here...

Your discussion raises two questions for me:

I have a 30 amp RV. How likely is it that I will come across a park hookup that has ONLY 50amp service? I'm wondering if it's necessary to carry a 50amp-->30amp adapter.

Also, there was a mention of a power management system. Are you talking about a surge suppressor, or something more elaborate with power conditioning? What device would you recommend for basic system protection?

--DonK
It costs little to have adapters so you can utilize, 15, 30 and 50 amp outlets. I am at a 50 amp only outlet now.

I would recommend the Progressive Industries power protection equipment. Use the search window for lots more info on this.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Don,

My my experience (about 65 parks so far) I have not seen 50 amp only. HOWEVER, I suggest you get a quality 50 to 30 convertor and carry it always. Just last week (and that was not the first time) the power pole at a Texas State Park had 50 and 30 but the 30 amp was not working. I suspect the breaker needing replacing. So I plugged into the 50 and used my convertor and all was fine. This need has happened with me a few times.

I use a surge protector at the pole and it will check (takes 180 seconds) that all is ok before allowing power to pass to the RV. If the voltage drops too much or raises too much it will also shut down power to the RV. Well worth the money in my view - about $300.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #17

Wow, two answers already, and in perfect agreement. I know what to do!

Thank you both.

--Don K
Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple answer: With a 30 amp RV you are limited to 30 amps. YOU Can use a dogbone adapter and plug into the 50 amp outlet which may be necessary if the 30 amp outlet is defective,, but you are still limited to 30 amps. since that is all your RV can use safely..

HOWEVER...

You can snag an additional 12-20 amps.... Here is how....

Find the wire that comes off your main breaker panel to the Air Conditioner.. Disconnect it and remove it from the breaker box. if necessary use a junction box and additional wire to bring it to an area that is accessable from the OUTSIDE of your RV.

Install an INLET (This is a plug that is mounted in a box) at this point

Run a 2nd line from teh breaker to a pigtail with OUTLET,, SEE NOTE BELOW.

Get a device I'll try to link to (Below) I call a "Splitter" or Y connector. it splits 50 amp into two 30 amp outlets.. And you will need one more adapter to do it right but we can get around that easily enough. (Actually I'll tell you how to bulid it)

Plug most of RV into one 30 amp "leg" plug Air Conditioenr via the next paragraph into the other.

Building the adapter; You need a small box with a 15/20 amp DUPLEX outlet a 20 amp breaker or 120 volt fuse (I recommend breaker, a PUSH TO RESET kind is ok) and a short 30 amp male pigtaile

30 amp black wire to breaker, 12ga short lead from other breaker terminal to the copper screw on outlet, white wire to slivery screw on outlet, green to green.

Now using a 12 ga Extension cord.. I like to replace teh ends with 20 amp plugs and sockets (The blades are not parallel) use that to connect the the adapter you just made to the INLET for the A/C. Inlet can have any type of 20 amp conector either the perpendular blades or a twist lock.

the 30+30 to 50 adapter you need, DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH CHEATER BOXES which have two 30 amp plugs and do not work.

Amazon.com : Conntek RV Y Adatper Cord with 50 Amp Male Plug To (2) 30 Amp RV Female Connector (3-Feet) : Boating Shore Power Cords : Sports & Outdoors

Oh, alternate 20 amp adapter option.. Cut 30 amp end off the above adapter (one) and wire it direct to the box with the breaker and outlet.. NOTE: I do not recommend this cause some day you may need to switch legs due to outlet wear.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #19

That sounds like a fun project--right up my alley. Thanks for the detail.

I'm a little surprised to hear that 30 Amps might be inadequate fir general use. It's it common to overload a 30 amp breaker if you only have one AC?

--DonK
Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
I have a 30 amp RV. How likely is it that I will come across a park hookup that has ONLY 50amp service?
--DonK
DonK
In my experience... not likely, (and maybe never).
I carry a 50amp-->30amp dog-bone adapter, (which I have never needed)!
In 250k+ miles, (over 30 years), of RV travel, I've found 50A/30A/20A campground pedestal receptacles, 30A/20A pedestals, (and sometimes only a 20A receptacle)....but NEVER only a 50A.
Mel
'96 Safrai, 132k miles
Old 06-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #21

Thanks Mel, I don't have any experience yet, but what you just said is really what I was expecting.

--DonK
Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #22

Lots of good ideas here on upgrading/managing your 30 amp service. Lots of miles behind me now but it took awhile as a newbie to understand all the ins/outs of RVing. A 50 amp only park is unusual in my experience--more likely to find underpowered 30s or even 20s. Key here is that 30 amp is on one leg so thats all you have to work with while 50 amp is on two legs, so 100 amps total--over 3 times the amps.
Typical A/C can draw 20 amps to start and 12-15 to run. Depending on what you have, water heater and bat charger can pull 15 or more amps; add in a micrco wave or momma's hair dryer and you can quickly overwhelm 30 amps. Other than surge and quality voltage protection, you dont need fancy equip to manage your amps. Keep a good volt wall display meter [$15--Camping World] plugged in to monitor voltage, then manage what you have plugged in manually---good luck.
PS--a 50 to 30 dogbone can work but remember -- if you are plugged into 50 amps you are bringing 50 amps on one leg to you unit, probably on the std 30 amp cord you are using. Your 30 amp distro box will keep you from pulling more than your cord can handle but if you modify your service to pull more amps, your old 30 amp cord wont handle it.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #23

My new rig has been sitting in my driveway for just a few days while we get it set up. I've got it hooked up to an extension cord connected to a 20 amp circuit from the garage.. I've been running everything available while showing it off to the neighbors--no blown breaker.

I think I won't sweat over the amperage being adequate at 30 amps. Now it's just a question of keeping things protected. A portable surge protector/manager seems most convenient, but vulnerable. Has anyone ACTUALLY had one stolen? I know everyone worries about it, and there is lots of talk about securing them, but do they ever REALLY get stolen?

--DonK
Old 06-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
On my travels throughout the NA Continent I have stayed in only one RV Resort that was 50 amp only. For the rigs that come in with 30 amp, they loan out an 50 to 30 amp adapter. You turn it in when you leave.

This resort is called Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort in Flagler Beach Florida. One of the premier ocean-side resorts on the Atlantic side.

I have stayed there a few times and it's great.

Where I am currently volunteering the pedestal is 50 amp only but this is not a campground or RV Park. There is ONLY one pedestal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Also, there was a mention of a power management system. Are you talking about a surge suppressor, or something more elaborate with power conditioning?
--DonK

Energy management is not a surge suppressor.

Check out this article for a good explanation
http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...telligent-ems/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402240583.088758.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	64893
Old 06-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert331983 View Post
Can all three outlets be used at a site at the same time the 50,30,20. or is there a max for the whole pole.
Well, the answer sadly is YES, (I know that does not help)

In most parks you can indeed use all 3 at one time and I know folks who do it.. But you may run up against a park where that is not possible.. I do, 2x a year.

As to Ham Radio operators: My 100 Watt Kenwood TS-2000 is fed off the house fuse panel a few feet away.. It runs on DC, not AC.