Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
50a to 30a

I have a 30 amp RV and most camps around me offer 50 amp. I had this idea on how to utilize the full 50 amps and wanted to run it by the more experienced RV guys. I have a 50 amp to dual 30 amp adapter. My idea is to hook my RV to one of the 30 amp connections. I also have a 30 amp to dual 15 amp adapter. My idea was to hook this to the other 30 amp plug then just hook 2 surge power strips to the 2 15 amp outlets. The purpose is to plug in extra things like cellphone and ipad chargers and additional items I may have. So my question is has anyone done this and also what kind of problems am I looking at. Also the reason I put this in the vintage section was I figured you guys have more experience rigging stuff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

Doesn't matter how many amps you have at the post the main breaker in the RV is 30 amp. You would have to run a separate wire into the RV, and by-pass the main breaker to get any more usable power.
EDIT: On re-reading that's what you said.
JMHO: Unless you've added a second A/C to your 30 amp RV, you shouldn't need more amps, and if your only plugging in cell phones & computers you should be fine .
NOW, if your cold weather rving and need to use a couple of electric space heaters to stay warm , then the hook up you propose may be worth the effort.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As Skip said it would work...not sure why you would need it but it would work as long as you bypass your trailer wiring with the 2nd line....me, I need all 50 amps!
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two air conditioner without an EMS (energy management system) usually drives the need for 50a service. Else 30a is typically more than adequate. Not sure the effort for the usage described is worth it. On the occasion that a second electric heater would be utilized simultaneously, and you coach circuits won't handle, a separate extension coed could be run from the pedestal.

I have 30a. Two AC with EMS. And sometimes run two electric heaters on cold nights. No problems.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks

These were the replies I was hoping to get. I knew it was over kill but was just wanting to look at it as a just in case type measure. I was thinking maybe I could use it for a second small portable AC unit since the generator runs my second ac. So I could just use shore power.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
OK - guys help me on this because this brings up a question for me also.

I also have a 30 amp RV. However, I run a ham radio station and that pushes the power consumption. So, what I have been doing is running a separate hd extension cord from the pedestal 20 amp to a quality power strip with surge protector, etc. I run it though the window of the cab (Class C) and seal with a specially designed piece of pipe insulation. I use that line for my ham equipment so it bypasses the RV 30 amp circuits.

However, this post makes me wonder if that is the best way to do this. In places that have 50, 30 and 20 amp would it be better to run my 50 to 30 convertor for the RV and then a 30 to 20 amp convertor for my extra line. I am not sure of the need for the 50 to split 30 convertor because I don't recall a pedestal that has 50 but no 30 (but maybe there is some). So, it seems I could do this several ways. What is the best is your views?

1. 30 to RV and 20 for separate line as I described.
2. 50 to 30 convertor to RV and 30 to 20 convertor for separate line.
3. 50 to two 30's and one for RV and one with 30 to 20 (as described in this post)

Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

Depends what you are running. If it's a modern 100 W solid state rig you are probably not drawing more than a few amps AC so no problem. If you are running a solid state KW then you are the equivalent of the microwave or AC and it gets interesting. If you are running a tube KW you need the direct line.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Can all three outlets be used at a site at the same time the 50,30,20. or is there a max for the whole pole.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For ham radio I run a typical 100w HF transceiver and related accessories. I plug into a 120vac 20a outlet in the coach that is lightly loaded otherwise. I use a APC power conditioner in front of all equipment.

I am in the process of redoing my MH setup, using a HF radio with separate head unit inside the coach, and with the radio unit mounted in a rear storage compartment near the antennas. I will power the radio unit directly from the house batteries so as not to invert just to go backstop 12vdc again. Bypassing the inefficiency of inverting when dry camping.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #10

Think it would get kind of messy in a hurry trying to mod your existing 30 amp wiring in your rig to get more amps. Agree, just use one or more extension cords to drive the "extra" accessories. Only word of caution is the need for protection from surges and other campground power issues. Any line that isnt protected by a modern power mgt system is subject to bad [expensive] things happening.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Depends what you are running. If it's a modern 100 W solid state rig you are probably not drawing more than a few amps AC so no problem. If you are running a solid state KW then you are the equivalent of the microwave or AC and it gets interesting. If you are running a tube KW you need the direct line.
I prefer a separate line and just wondering the best way to do that with your typical campground pedestal that has 50, 30 and 20. I am thinking to run a 50 to 20 convertor so that I can use an old surge protector I have (50 amp by TRC).

So (when running an extra 20 amp line) it seems to me the best (but love to hear from others):

A. If pedestal has 50 and 30 and 20: (My RV is 30) Run my old 50 amp surge on the 50 and then convert to 20 line. Run RV on the 30 with my TRC surge protectgor.

B. If pedestal has only 30 and 20 - don't have much choice.

Sound right?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

What I would be concerned about is how the pedestal is wired. It is probably a 50 A 230 V with one leg wired to provide the 30 A 115 V. The question then becomes whether they wired the same leg to the 20 A outlet or the other leg to the 20 A outlet. If I was wiring the park I would wire the 20 and 30 A sockets to the same leg so the customer could not effectively get free 50 A service. You can check if they are wired that way be measuring between the hot legs of the socket. If you get 230V nominal then you can do what you want.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
OK - guys help me on this because this brings up a question for me also.

I also have a 30 amp RV. However, I run a ham radio station and that pushes the power consumption. So, what I have been doing is running a separate hd extension cord from the pedestal 20 amp to a quality power strip with surge protector, etc. I run it though the window of the cab (Class C) and seal with a specially designed piece of pipe insulation. I use that line for my ham equipment so it bypasses the RV 30 amp circuits.

However, this post makes me wonder if that is the best way to do this. In places that have 50, 30 and 20 amp would it be better to run my 50 to 30 convertor for the RV and then a 30 to 20 amp convertor for my extra line. I am not sure of the need for the 50 to split 30 convertor because I don't recall a pedestal that has 50 but no 30 (but maybe there is some). So, it seems I could do this several ways. What is the best is your views?

1. 30 to RV and 20 for separate line as I described.
2. 50 to 30 convertor to RV and 30 to 20 convertor for separate line.
3. 50 to two 30's and one for RV and one with 30 to 20 (as described in this post)

Thanks
#1 only.

The reason to use a converter is when there isn't the correct plug available. IF you are using a 30 to 20 converter and you need 30 you NEED a 30a cable. 30 to 20 is when you only need 20 but only 30 is available.

Example - Right now my rig is in the barn, I have a 50a to 30a converter then a 30a to 20a converter which is plugged into an extension cord. This is fine because all I need is 5amps for the battery charger/maintainer. This would NOT be fine if I actually tried to fire up the power sucking wonder that is a Wanderlodge and all it's systems
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #14

New guy here...

Your discussion raises two questions for me:

I have a 30 amp RV. How likely is it that I will come across a park hookup that has ONLY 50amp service? I'm wondering if it's necessary to carry a 50amp-->30amp adapter.

Also, there was a mention of a power management system. Are you talking about a surge suppressor, or something more elaborate with power conditioning? What device would you recommend for basic system protection?

--DonK