Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW assuming you are not interested in throwing a lot of money at what you have or rewiring the system.. Start by checking your generator specifications. If you have 30 A 120 on one leg and 20 A 120 on the other are they separate windings or one winding with two breakers off the buss? If separate windings do they have a common neutral? Depending on the answers to that one side of a standard 50 Amp shore cord would probably give you what you want. Alternatively, assuming they can be the same neutral you could use a 50 A cord to feed each side with the common neutral. Just add a disconnect that can be breakered or fused for the correct current to the loads involved. You won't get the full power a properly set up modern system provides but you probably won't care either. You will have all the power you are used to now with the generator but have it all the time.
Thanks to everyone. I have learned a lot.

First off, the blue schematic on post number 6 is the item in particular that has helped the most, in addition to the post above being close to what I am looking to do...

In that schematic of the 30A transfer switch, with the 50A gen set, anyone can see that just outside the generator dotted line, before the transfer switch, there are 5 wires. A green ground, to hot blacks, and two neutral whites.

My plan was/is/possibly may be, to replace that straight run with a 50A RV style socket/plug. Starting from the left, I will cut the wires coming out of the generator and put in a female socket. In the Schematic, there are two circuits, one that goes up to the rear airconditioner, and one that goes right into the transfer switch. To these, I will add a 35 foot extension with a male 50A RV plug.

Then, when the male is plugged into the female, I will have the exact same circuit that I have now.

But, when the male is unplugged from the female, I will have no output for the generator, and if on, it will will power an outlet with nothing in it.

For now, lets leave the generator off.

With that circuit unplugged from the generator circuit, I can then plug that male plug into a campground outlet. It will be able to provide more power than I need, but it will provide the exact same power that is currently available, but also more amperage, if I were to need it. OF course, that current may be too much for the RV systems.

To compensate for this, I can add a 30A and 20A breaker in line with that cord. That way, even though the campground breaker may provide 50A per leg, I can limit it in the generator bay (or where ever I place this outlet with the circuit breakers) to what the camper can deal with.

So, plugged into the campground 50A outlet, I would supply the camper with exactly what the generator would have supplied. The transfer switch will cut off the 30A cord, and the power distribution will be indistinguishable from generator on...

Then when the new cord is plugged into the new outlet, my camper will work exactly as it does now. I can plug in the 30A or not, use the generator or not (like boondocking). The only difference at all, if using the generator, is that the power will travel 35 feet further (all coiled up) and instead of the 30A and 20A on the generator body as the only circuit breakers, I will also have a 2nd set in line.

This, while perhaps not well presented, was my plan all along. The part I learned about was the fact that the 50A from the campground will have the capacity for 50A on each circuit, and I also believe that this may cause a heat issue, if I were to try to draw that much current. However, if I do not change the energy using components in the camper, even if hooked to 50A, I would not draw that much. (unless there is a fault, which is why I would also limit by the 30 and 20 respectively.)

I hope you all have noticed that I have not mentioned that at some point I want to add a washer and dryer... Oops, now I have gone and done it. That is a totally different topic for another thread...

Thanks again for all the help. I appreciate the education. Please feel free to comment on my plan, and if you see any holes in it...

Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #16
After an admitted fast look I think I need more coffee. It looks like it would work but I would fuse the cord and have a disconnect as well as the plug. The disconnect would be "free" as it would be the termination of the power cord.

Make sure the dryer is 120 VAC. ;-)

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote