Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

6.2 diesel problems

Hi Folks.
I wonder if anyone has seen this before. I have a82 Winnebago brave with 6.2 diesel in it. The injection pump began coming apart so it was removed overhauled and replaced... Initially it ran great. Now I am on vacation. The problem started when I left it idle for 15 minutes. It began surging and eventually quit. It started right up again and ran fine. It continues to run down the road great. But at idle it seems to “foul” 1 or 2 cylinders before it quits. It generals surges rpm before it quits. Now I can only get it started with wd40 when that happens. If I shut it off if it looks like a long idle I don’t have a problem I can shut it off and start it with out problem. But now it is getting worse. I am having problems at stop lights. I now have one foot on the brake and one on the throttle. I made the mistake of not having the injectors rebuilt at the same time. I will do that in a couple weeks when I get home. I have one buddy saying he thinks an injector is allowing gasses back into the pump thereby cavitating it. Another says something similar however the injector return allowing return fuel to the inlet of the pump again cavititing it. I have rechecked all the connections I disturbed when working on everything and all seems tight. Anyone seem this???????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know even less about diesels than anything else but I think I'd be looking for a vacuum hose issue.

loose, cracked, worn, shifted from where it was sitting and behaving fine for 20 years and now being ornery... that sort of thing.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, I don't have the "absolute" answer for you but I had a 6.2 in a Suburban so I have some knowledge of these engines.

1st - You say you overhauled the pump. I assume you mean you had a diesel shop overhaul the pump. If you did it yourself, please take it to a competent diesel injection shop for overhaul.

2nd - letting it sit idling for 15 minutes shouldn't hurt anything.

3rd - One buddy says, "an injector is allowing gasses back into the pump thereby cavitating it".An interesting theory but unless your buddy has evidence of this happening to other diesel engines - my feeling is unlikely.

4th - Another buddy says, "the injector return allowing return fuel to the inlet of the pump again cavititing it".There is no "return" fuel line from the injector to the pump on these engines - theory busted.

5th - You say you plan to have the injectors rebuilt soon. GOOD IDEA! That is the likely cause and corrective action. In the process of removing and reinstalling the pump you may have introduced a few crumbs of dirt into the system which can cause havoc with injectors.

6th - Sorry, there are no engine-related vacuum lines on the 6.2.

It could certainly be something else causing your trouble but the injectors are the likely culprit. A dose of diesel fuel system cleaner/treatment wouldn't hurt. If you can find "Stanadyne Power Formula" grab some. In case you hadn't noticed, "Stanadyne" is the company that designed and manufactured your injector pump.

For all the info you can eat concerning the 6.2 diesel engine, go here:
The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #4

6.2 diesel

I owned a 6.5 diesel Winnebago Brave in Switzerland. I learned a lot from a forum called "the diesel page" There is a separate section on the mechanical 6.2 diesel. Go there and repeat your question.In the meantime check whether all the injection lines are correctly connected since the pump was removed and reinstalled. This has happened before and not for thr first time. All the best.
John
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #5

Have you checked all your fuel lines to the injector pump? I had to replace a fuel line on mine and forgot to tighten it all the way, and it would have a tough time idling but would run ok down the road. When was the last time you replaced the glow plugs?
TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #6

Don't think it is a glow plug as it starts o.k. . The plugs are energized with electricity to get them hot before cranking. Think soldering iron and that is very similar to a glow plug. I have actually made 12v soldering irons out of them.
Either you have one or more injectors dumping fuel at idle, which they will do, or a possible pump head not making enough pressure at idle. Pressure created by the injection pump opens the injectors which are set to a certain "pop-off" pressure.
We used to have alot of trouble with worn pump heads here in Phx. in the summer caused by the fuel getting so thin in the summer.
Id there more smoke than normal at idle when it starts acting up? The smoke could be a light gray color if the injectors are dumping.
We used to add transmission fluid to the fuel tanks in the summer to give the fuel more lubricity in the summer.
This is unlikely but there is probably a booster electric pump in the tank that supplies fuel to the mechanical injection pump. Pressure has to be correct on this also, but don't remember what it is supposed to be. If you changed the fuel filters make sure any o-rings or seals are in place, as a leak sucking air into the fuel system can cause similar problems and may not leak extrnally.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

I second the recommendation for The Diesel Pages. I used their 6.5 TD trouble shooting manual for my 1995 Safari TREK. This won't help you on your current road trip, but it will be worth the $20 or so when you get home. In the meantime, use your computer to get on the forum and search around the 6.2 section. I think you can view the forums at no cost, but it's around $15 to join and post. This will be money well spent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
OK, I don't have the "absolute" answer for you but I had a 6.2 in a Suburban so I have some knowledge of these engines.

1st - You say you overhauled the pump. I assume you mean you had a diesel shop overhaul the pump. If you did it yourself, please take it to a competent diesel injection shop for overhaul.

2nd - letting it sit idling for 15 minutes shouldn't hurt anything.

3rd - One buddy says, "an injector is allowing gasses back into the pump thereby cavitating it".An interesting theory but unless your buddy has evidence of this happening to other diesel engines - my feeling is unlikely.

4th - Another buddy says, "the injector return allowing return fuel to the inlet of the pump again cavititing it".There is no "return" fuel line from the injector to the pump on these engines - theory busted.

5th - You say you plan to have the injectors rebuilt soon. GOOD IDEA! That is the likely cause and corrective action. In the process of removing and reinstalling the pump you may have introduced a few crumbs of dirt into the system which can cause havoc with injectors.

6th - Sorry, there are no engine-related vacuum lines on the 6.2.

It could certainly be something else causing your trouble but the injectors are the likely culprit. A dose of diesel fuel system cleaner/treatment wouldn't hurt. If you can find "Stanadyne Power Formula" grab some. In case you hadn't noticed, "Stanadyne" is the company that designed and manufactured your injector pump.

For all the info you can eat concerning the 6.2 diesel engine, go here:
The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #8

6.2 Diesel repaired

Thanks all for the helpful replies. The problem has been fixed and the results are in. It turned out the lift pump, the one on the lower right part of the block, had a ruptured diaphram. It still pumped fuel but had a small air leak in it so it also pumped air. While replacing that I found the worm gear clamp had broken and also damaged the lift pump fuel line "in" hose , so it too was able to get air. After replacing both, the ol beast ran as well as it ever did, and problably a bit better. It was just a "short between the headset" that told me look where you last were. That is why i thought i had an injector issue. I had not been in this area, therefore I figured there should not have been a problem there. Once again mechanics 101 wins out.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you found the problem and it wasn't too hard or expensive to fix. So often we (that includes me) get focused on the complexities of a problem and miss the simple solutions.

Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote