Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Exclamation 70's Wilderness Travel Trailer light wiring question NEED HELP QUICK!

Hi all, I'm working on finishing up the back end of my 70's wilderness trailer as you can see further down in the threads but have a quick question I want to try and get answered faster than updating that thread. I did a bad thing and did not take a good close picture of the wiring to the back brake lights to remember but I can tell you what I can see and what wires come out of the lights.. I need to know what I need and don't need.

Basicallylooking at the back of the trailer from the inside I have on the left side, which would be passenger truck side I have Green, Brown, Red, White, Blue wires coming from the frame up through the floor, back of the light I have Red, Green. On the Right side, Driver side. I have White, Green and Red wires also a Black ground coming off the frame through the floor. On the back of the light with plate holder I have Red, Green and 2 Black wires, one thicker than the other.. What wires do I need?

Looking online I see anywhere from Green and Yellow, to Green, Red and black and so on.. I will try and get some pictures up if you need them but any help would be greatly appreciated! I do have green and white going to the running lights at the top and side of the camper that I can see and remember close up, These I cannot. HELP PLEASE!! I'd like to get this back wall closed up today if possible!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Easiest way to make sure it's right is to start at the plug at the hitch. Hook up long test wire to each pin, one at a time, and use a multimeter to find out what color wire connects to each pin. If you have the plug wired correctly, then the wires at the back will have to be correct.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

I guess I should Have been more specific, I wanted to make sure I had the wires run back correctly to the light holes, not really whether they were connected in line. I wanted to be sure that before I close it up that I have at least the minimum colors needed at each light to work appropriately. I will have to try and see what was there by zooming really far in on some of the pictures...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You'll need a ground wire to each light(white). The left, right, marker and license light need a 12 v + source. (brown) Left brake gets a wire (yellow) and right brake gets a wire (green) In addition, the brown wire is split off for a side or front marker lights. The ground should be tied to ground in the trailer plug and the frame of the trailer. It's often nice to start with fresh wires that won't give any problems that old, multiple spliced wires can cause. I've done it with something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-...kit-93861.html for about $20 or they even have just a 23 foot wire harness that you can connect to your lights.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You'll need a ground wire to each light(white). The left, right, marker and license light need a 12 v + source. (brown) Left brake gets a wire (yellow) and right brake gets a wire (green) In addition, the brown wire is split off for a side or front marker lights. The ground should be tied to ground in the trailer plug and the frame of the trailer. It's often nice to start with fresh wires that won't give any problems that old, multiple spliced wires can cause. I've done it with something like this:
Deluxe 12 Volt Trailer Light Kit for about $20 or they even have just a 23 foot wire harness that you can connect to your lights.
On the bold, this code is used for utility, boat, car dolly, whatever, trailers. RV's use a different code. For those -

On the left side you'll need-
Red = Left Turn/brake
Green = Running light
Yellow = Back Up
White = Ground

On the right side you'll need
Brown = Right turn/brake
Green = Running
Yellow = Back Up
White = Ground

Marker lights (sides and across back) should have green and white wires to them.

For help locating what pin is what on the plug ends (tow vehicle and trailer) google "bargman wiring diagram". That should get you some diagrams to answer about any other question you might have.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
On the bold, this code is used for utility, boat, car dolly, whatever, trailers. RV's use a different code. For those -

On the left side you'll need-
Red = Left Turn/brake
Green = Running light
Yellow = Back Up
White = Ground

On the right side you'll need
Brown = Right turn/brake
Green = Running
Yellow = Back Up
White = Ground

Marker lights (sides and across back) should have green and white wires to them.

For help locating what pin is what on the plug ends (tow vehicle and trailer) google "bargman wiring diagram". That should get you some diagrams to answer about any other question you might have.
Sweet Thank you! That lowers my fears a bit! I am tackling the light connection and test this evening, so hopefully everything is good again! I have updates to my other thread I need to add.Stay tuned!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Ok.. Huston We Have a Slight Problem...

Heres what I have found today.. During hookup.. Right side of camper brake light, connecting what I thought was a straight line connection brown is only a short lead from the light location to the inside floor where it connected to something before but not sure what.. Looking my best at old pictures it looks like there were white wires and green wires coming out of the holes the light was in.

Here is what I am finding. If I connect the white wire to the red wire of the light and the green to the green wire of the light I have running lights on the right side brake light.. No Brake light, No turn signal.
If I connect the red to red and green to green on the brake light, I get brake but no turn and no running lights... Now inside at the floor I do have a black wire coming through the floor that I am not sure what it connects to and a light blue wire coming up also no connected to anything..

Now the fun continues.. goto left side of camper.
I have red, green and white coming out of the camper. If I connect Red to red and green to green I get brake but no running and no turn. Now there are 2 black wires coming out of the back of the light.. What do I connect these too?

Am I really buggered or is there a way to fix all of this? HELP AGAIN and thank you in advance! I can provide pictures if need..
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
CHECK YOUR GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good ground is a must, Im talking about a wire ground not just grounding off your hitch ball

Pics may help

Are you clearance/side makers on the back/front/sides working??
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
CHECK YOUR GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good ground is a must, Im talking about a wire ground not just grounding off your hitch ball

Pics may help

Are you clearance/side makers on the back/front/sides working??
Side clearance and front clearance lights yes, top clearance havent gotten to fully check.. The ground might be the issue but I am not sure were it is grounded at.. I have one solid ground that I see on the left side of the rear floor tied to the frame but I don't remember this being connected.. Where do I tie that ground in?

It started raining on me so I could not get pictures of what i'm working with. I will do first thing I can get to working on it tomorrow again

I do happen to see a white wire hanging down to where the black ground is tied to the frame in one of the old pics.. they are not connected but near each other... could this be it? If so.. I'm going to be saying choice words at myself
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne29th View Post
Side clearance and front clearance lights yes, top clearance havent gotten to fully check.. The ground might be the issue but I am not sure were it is grounded at.. I have one solid ground that I see on the left side of the rear floor tied to the frame but I don't remember this being connected.. Where do I tie that ground in?

It started raining on me so I could not get pictures of what i'm working with. I will do first thing I can get to working on it tomorrow again

I do happen to see a white wire hanging down to where the black ground is tied to the frame in one of the old pics.. they are not connected but near each other... could this be it? If so.. I'm going to be saying choice words at myself

It could be it, more than likely if you other clearance/sides work I would think the ground would be ok, and would ground the back section of aluminum.

A multi meter may help you trace some wires

If it were me I would re wire the back clearance lights and STT (stop turn tail) and run the wires to known colored wires as mentioned above. You may want to take and run a wire to one of the mounting/grounding screws of each tail and 5 clearance (you can connect all 5 to one wire) to the chassis if you still have probems. A little bit of grease on the brass base of each bulb can do wonders too

The other colors in you main loom are going to be

Blue -Brakes
Black - Battery + / charge
Yellow -Back up
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #11

Ok, the more I'm looking at the pictures I'm thinking they were individually grounded at each corner, it looks like the right side had a brown wire coming out of the light and down to a ground on the right frame, and the left side had a white wire hanging down to a black wire ground on the left frame, the question I have now is, on the right light I have a red and green connection and that is it.. where do I connect the ground to the light it self? And on the left I have red, green, a thick black, and a thin black..

The other wires you say I understand, not sure as to why a light blue one would come to the back corner of the camper though if it was used for the brakes.. That same blue wire comes out to my fuse block.. I need to see if I can find the labels that correlated to the fuses.., that might have been for the water pump? It was in the same area that the wire is now.

I have a multi meter, just not sure the basics of testing the wires..

Also, not sure if you can see them better, but my thread on here about the redoing of my camper has some of the demo pictures with the wires shown where the lights were connected, till I can get the current pictures taken tomorrow. Thanks for all the help by the way!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out you tube for video on how to check continuity using a multi meter, lot easier than a lot of typing, Also look for videos on checking for 12VDC if you are un sure of that too. A simple test light my help too!!

Keep us posted
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #13

Thanks.. hopefully I will come back with good news tomorrow.. if the right light has to be gounded also.. any idea on where if all I have is red and green from the light itself?

Also to add... a dumb thought just hit me.. I did not have the trailer hitched to the truck.. just rand the connector wire to test lights... Could this cause a bad ground issue without the ball/hitch connection? Trying to rule everything out.. I did not even think about that..
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #14

If I might make a suggestion? To get a better understanding of what you have going on, get a test light and use it on the wires coming from the back of the trailer?

Using the information you have in post #5 not sure you came up with what you're talking about regarding the right side wiring? (red and white wires together?)

Maybe if you just took it a little at a time, getting one of the 2 elements in the bulb to light up at a time? You should see when hooked up with a ground and one other wire, the light will light up dim one way, bright when you use the other wire? The dim would be your running light, when bright, your combination brake/turn.

Tags
travel, wiring