Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
73 Winnie Radiator Removal...

I'm not sure if anyone remembers but almost a year ago I had radiator issues with my 73 Winnie Class A. Well I still have the issues. I took the unit to a radiator shop thinking they would be able to take care of it for me. Well it's been there almost a year and he has yet to really touch it. He tells me he can't figure out how to pull the radiator and he wants me to give him some more time. Well I didn't mind @ first as I didn't really have the room @ the house for it but damn. I want it back.

I really don't have any other options on where to take it around here and the unit can't be driving to long as the radiator leaks that bad it will just make it home.

I have a 73 Winnie 22' Indian and it has the Dodge 440. Can anyone please offer me some pointers on how to get this thing out? I even told the guy to just cut the bolt heads and weld the new one in place.

I've talk to a few people who have these units and they say it's a SOB to do.

There isn't any room to remove the radiator frame bolts as the heads rest up on the frame of the unit. I just don't see how they installed the dang thing...

poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

While I have 78 M400 with a 440, I had no problem removing the mounting bolts. You do however have to remove all the front grill center section components. What bolt are you having trouble accessing?

The metal mounting shroud (part the bolts attach to) around the core, top tank, and bottom tank is all soldered together and comes out as a single unit. You only remove the bolts shown in the picture. The radiator rebuilder has to reattach the top tank, bottom tank and metal mounting shroud to the new core.

BTW - There was no "house" on the chassis when Dodge built it.

Link to someone who took a little different approach: http://www.mywinnebago.com/blog/inde...y090726-211323. That is howerver a 413 not a 440. You can at least see what the old radiator does look like out of the chassis.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I will stop by the place tom and take a few shots. But the bracket that you see on your picture behind the spacer word runs the entire height of my radiator. Then there is a metal frame that looks like it's part of the unit that is butt up against the head of the bolts making it impossible to remove...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #4

Then you have the later model radiator setup

Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yup, that's it!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #6

On my 78 M400, once I had it unbolted I did have to manuver it out of the area but it did come out the front with not much trouble. Front end on yours is simular to mine. Removing the grill work and center section is necessary though.

Dave

Tags
radiator