Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
74 Winniebago Batteries...

Hey folks, I'm not sure if this should be under the Winnie thread but the coach I'm talking about is over 20 years old so I figured I would just post it here. I was just wondering what type of batteries you folks are putting in your RV's. I know I want a deep cycle battery but what brand, amp hour, and type are you folks using? The specs call for a 70 amp hour deep cycle but that was back in the 70's. Time and load requirements change. Thanks in advance...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
Hey folks, I'm not sure if this should be under the Winnie thread but the coach I'm talking about is over 20 years old so I figured I would just post it here. I was just wondering what type of batteries you folks are putting in your RV's. I know I want a deep cycle battery but what brand, amp hour, and type are you folks using? The specs call for a 70 amp hour deep cycle but that was back in the 70's. Time and load requirements change. Thanks in advance...
My recommendation is the same for any coach - put in the biggest battery that will fit. If you can put in 2 golf cart batteries (6V in series) do so. Trojan is the best brand, but you might want to do Sam's club first and see if they have a large battery that will fit, so you don't spend too much for something that eventually proves unsuitable. If can only put in one 12V battery, be sure it is deep-cycle, the kind intended for trolling motors on boats.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hmm ok, I did read this on a battery site. However, it said to refrain from using batteries for boats as they are normally gel type and are not good for fast or frequent charges. I have plenty of room for atleast four deep cycle batteries. Wiring would be another issue though. Not much room left for that...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Hmm ok, I did read this on a battery site. However, it said to refrain from using batteries for boats as they are normally gel type and are not good for fast or frequent charges. I have plenty of room for atleast four deep cycle batteries. Wiring would be another issue though. Not much room left for that...
No, no, don't get fancy - just a good set of flooded-cell batteries will last several years if they are properly maintained and charged.

Speaking of "charged", be sure you invest in a good three-stage charger. The third stage is a trickle charge that won't boil your batteries in storage - you DO have a place to plug in a charger in storage, right?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes the battery site did say that deep cycle wet was the way to go. I was just wondering what brand and amp hours. I guess I can check with Tri State Battery near my shop and see what they have. They are great on prices and normally warranty the batteries they sell...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Yes the battery site did say that deep cycle wet was the way to go. I was just wondering what brand and amp hours. I guess I can check with Tri State Battery near my shop and see what they have. They are great on prices and normally warranty the batteries they sell...
Golf cart batteries are about 200 AH at 6V, so 2 are also 200 AH at 12V. That's about three times the capacity of one 70 AH 12V battery. I believe that even "deep cycle" 12V batteries are compromises, with more but thinner plates than golf carts. Incidentally, you can compare the weight of quality batteries, like Trojan, with cheaper ones like Sam's club - the Trojans have more lead in them, so they can shed more and still keep on tickin'. But since you're experimenting anyway, why not just buy 2 golf cart batteries from Sam, put the rest of the $$$ into a good charger, and find out how you go? As I said, you should be three times better off than the OE.

By the way, if there is only ONE battery for both house lights and chassis power, all bets are off. I've been assuming you have a separate 12V battery for starting the engine. Golf cart batteries do not make good starting batteries.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I agree, but I think you folks need to check into the Trojan batteries a bit more. From what I understand switching out my pops golf cart batteries a few months ago the battery shop said that Trojans are now rated the #2 and US Battery has taking the top. As soon as I talk to them again I will post up what the difference is as I have a short term memory... lol