RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

76 Itasca fresh water level

Howdy from the pretty good state of Ohio

I got a 1976 Itasca C25A with a 454 big block. She runs good and nearly everything on the chassis and coach works; we put 3000 miles on her this summer and had a lot of fun camping. We are first time RVers so we had and still have a lot to learn but we are figuring it out as we go.

Anyway there is always something that needs worked on so the latest is this drawer underneath the stovetop where the drawer slide mount broke at the exterior wall. Thatís a whole nother thing and not what Iím posting about. But while I had it out of its slot I did find something interesting.

The coach has a panel toward the back where you can adjust the thermostat, turn the water pump on, and check the fresh water and holding tank levels. The previous owner told me that the momentary switches that let you check the levels ďdonít work anymoreĒ. But while I was in there with that drawer out I saw that the wires for the tank sensor had just broken off or gotten pulled off the tank somehow. So I fumbled around in there and found what I believe to be the wires that had hooked to the terminals on the tank. Now I have 5 wires and 4 terminals. And I donít know how this setup works but Iím assuming that when you push the switch on the console to check the level you get a little voltage through the switch onto the common terminals (wire 1) and if there is level at the height of the terminals (wires 2-5) you get voltage all the way back to the console and you get a little indicator lamp for each one.

So here is the question. Does anyone have wiring diagram for the coach or know where to get one? Or does anyone have any clever ideas on how I might determine which wire does what. I suppose I could tape the switch down and check for voltage 12v on the wires. If I find that I could attach it to the common side and then touch the other wires to the terminals randomly and watch the lights go on and off until I get them in the right order. What do yíall think? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	265798  
Attached Images

linelock_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

Figure out which wire has 12V, that would be your common. Once you know that, the rest is just trial and error.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #3
FFG

When I recently added a fresh water level sensor and gauge, as I didn't have one, there was a live, an earth, a feed from the sensor in the tank and 2 wires which provided a light on the gauge, so I could have a yellow or red backlit gauge. Suspect you have the first 3 but the other 2 could be unused and just a generic cable they have used. You should be able to find the live and earth easily and the feed from the sensor should give you a resistance. Try these first and if it works tape up the other 2 wires.
FFG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, itasca, water