Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #1

'83 Pace Arrow - Towing car with it?

I think I might be in a pickle.

I have a 1983 Pace Arrow 30', Chevy P30 Chassis (454 Gas, Carb).

I've read Gross Weights of 4500 lbs being tossed around for towing, and a tongue weight of around 250 lbs, which is pretty considerable I suppose..

My vehicle is a 1991 WW Jetta diesel which weighs 3400lbs. That's a lot of car... I never had a simple car that weighed this much.

I feel like towing the Jetta, even flat towing, would possibly be too much and could increase the braking distance to dangerous amounts.

My father is readily convinced that I need to have a full sized car hauler, but I'm reading these haulers to be 2700 lbs by themselves.

I feel that the Jetta and a car hauler would be way more than it should be pulling. I really need the car, that's the simple thing about it..

I can get a car hauler for little to no extra cash, but a flat tow or a tow dolly will be costing me money I don't have.

Anyone have any insight or advice?

Thanks everyone c:

---

The engine in this Motorhome has approximately 10k miles on it, the transmission is original. The rear suspension is in semi-rough shape, the front air bags are not usable. The vehicle has disc brakes on all four wheels, which.. actually really suck even though they are all new. Calipers are new. Replaced the rear axle seals. Replaced one front suspension part due to tolerance issues (bell crank arm?).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
there is a guy on hear that flat tows a vintage cadillac with his so you will be ok
his name is tim

Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoal View Post
I think I might be in a pickle.

I have a 1983 Pace Arrow 30', Chevy P30 Chassis (454 Gas, Carb).

I've read Gross Weights of 4500 lbs being tossed around for towing, and a tongue weight of around 250 lbs, which is pretty considerable I suppose..

My vehicle is a 1991 WW Jetta diesel which weighs 3400lbs. That's a lot of car... I never had a simple car that weighed this much.

I feel like towing the Jetta, even flat towing, would possibly be too much and could increase the braking distance to dangerous amounts.

My father is readily convinced that I need to have a full sized car hauler, but I'm reading these haulers to be 2700 lbs by themselves.

I feel that the Jetta and a car hauler would be way more than it should be pulling. I really need the car, that's the simple thing about it..

I can get a car hauler for little to no extra cash, but a flat tow or a tow dolly will be costing me money I don't have.

Anyone have any insight or advice?

Thanks everyone c:

---

The engine in this Motorhome has approximately 10k miles on it, the transmission is original. The rear suspension is in semi-rough shape, the front air bags are not usable. The vehicle has disc brakes on all four wheels, which.. actually really suck even though they are all new. Calipers are new. Replaced the rear axle seals. Replaced one front suspension part due to tolerance issues (bell crank arm?).

I had a 95 Winnebago Brave 27' P30 454

I flat towed my CJ7 with it 3850LBS

I am pretty sure you have a 5000LBS hitch, if you had a car hauler to your towed vehicle weight you will be OVERWEIGHT, not saying it can be done.

There are extentions that are welded onto the frame to make it longer, that must be considered as well

If it was me, I would just flat tow it, so you would be within your towing weight

Sometimes you have to consider that just because its cheaper for you does not make it the better choice.

As for your Father, just add up the weight of your Jetta plus the car hauler and tell him its over weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150813_163945.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	135588  
Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
I do feel better about this.

I actually looked up prices with uhaul for renting a tow dolly, for a five day trip (max) it'd price out pretty well (125 usd, they'll probably want a deposit as well.. knowing them). I have ready access to some top notch welders, as long as I supply the materials.. it's free to install whatever extensions I desire.

But I think I will look to either building or obtaining flat tow equipment for the Jetta, because I do want to stay well within my towing tolerances. My previous cars were older, but not as solid metal as this Jetta is. This Jetta takes weighing a ton and a half to new heights in such a small package.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 AM   #5

Hi. I owned the same motorhome you did. AKA "The Space Arrow" lol

Loved the thing! Camped all over the Rocky mountains of Alberta here.

I looked into towing my at the time jeep Jk Unlimited( 4 door) and a car hauler. Everywhere I looked and people I talked to said the hitch was only rated to pull 3500lbs. I never did pull that Jeep but I did end up flat towing my 96 Cherokee with it loaded with gear and a boat on the roof. It towed it pretty good and I was in some steep hills! Definitely knew it was back there though.
I have heard about guys towing heavier loads but they beefed up the hitch. The engine is easy to mod ( do a search in here for 83 Pace Arrow mods) I would be more concerned with braking. I had drums on the rear. Having a tow dolly with brakes would be the ticket i'd say.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:57 AM   #6

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470902230.038987.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	135599
Old 08-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #7

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470902281.694800.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	135600
Old 08-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello,
I'm towing a 1999 Caddie Deville concours, on a KarKAddySS with surge brakes towed it to AZ and back. I had the dolly lose a bolt and then broke the weld on the way there. Got it fixed by a bunch of guys from Texas with welders in the back of there pickups, on a Sunday If I remember there were 6 guys. they took the KarKaddy off the hitch tipped it on the end and a guy welded it then added a steel plate and welded right there in the parking lot. I found the bolt at a Auto Parts store.
They charged me $50.00,have had no problems since. My tounge weight is 350 lbs and the dolly is 100 lbs. and the caddie is under the 4500 lb limit. My MH is a 1982 Pace Arrow 454 4 barrel. Besides take off from a dead stop I can hardly tell its back there, until you hit a mountain then its a little slow but I keep my foot out of it. I'm retired and am in no hurry to get anywhere.
I do have a 1964 caddie but she won't fit on the Dolly and it would be way over weight.
My plans are to replace the 82 PA with a 40 Foot Alfa and look for a enclosed trailer maybe even a stacker so I can take the 64 and put the 99 in storage.
We are going too go Fulltime. It's your call but I would look for a Dolly and of course That's my opinion.
Enjoy what ever you decide.

Tim
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5.../IMG_08851.JPG
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Hello,

I'm towing a 1999 Caddie Deville concours, on a KarKAddySS with surge brakes towed it to AZ and back. I had the dolly lose a bolt and then broke the weld on the way there. Got it fixed by a bunch of guys from Texas with welders in the back of there pickups, on a Sunday If I remember there were 6 guys. they took the KarKaddy off the hitch tipped it on the end and a guy welded it then added a steel plate and welded right there in the parking lot. I found the bolt at a Auto Parts store.

They charged me $50.00,have had no problems since. My tounge weight is 350 lbs and the dolly is 100 lbs. and the caddie is under the 4500 lb limit. My MH is a 1982 Pace Arrow 454 4 barrel. Besides take off from a dead stop I can hardly tell its back there, until you hit a mountain then its a little slow but I keep my foot out of it. I'm retired and am in no hurry to get anywhere.

I do have a 1964 caddie but she won't fit on the Dolly and it would be way over weight.

My plans are to replace the 82 PA with a 40 Foot Alfa and look for a enclosed trailer maybe even a stacker so I can take the 64 and put the 99 in storage.

We are going too go Fulltime. It's your call but I would look for a Dolly and of course That's my opinion.

Enjoy what ever you decide.

Tim

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5.../IMG_08851.JPG

Tim if you don't have headers try some Doug Thorley ceramic coated headers... They will make a nice difference... I know u said you're not in a hurry but nice to have a bit more power.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nope no Headers, My mechanic tried to get me to have them installed but I didn't think I needed them.
What I do think I need is a tranny with one more gear.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:52 AM   #11

I have towed a 5000lb Wakeboard boat with my old Pace Arrow. Ours was a 1984. Just keep an eye on the hitch as I broke mine. I did install another and towed the boat everywhere. Towing is not the problem. The old GM chassis just had no strength out there. No frame past the rear end (ours was a 35 footer) and the hitch was original hitch was junk.

joe

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
JOE PLAZEK
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Nope no Headers, My mechanic tried to get me to have them installed but I didn't think I needed them.
Tim
Tim, I agree more gears would be better. In my case I'm running a 5.13 differential, that alone says something about how underpowered my 460 V8 is for its required task. Extra gears would certainly be nice! However, when I replaced my engine last year a friend helping me talked me into adding headers. They do indeed make a noticeable positive performance difference. On my first trip going from San Marcos TX to Sierra Vista AZ on I-10 I kept finding myself rolling along at +75mph and not even realizing it!

Steve
Old 08-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:

Tim

You could put in a gear vendors over drive and it basically turns your 3 speed into a 6 speed and you electrically shift it. But they are expensive to buy.

Tags
ace, pace arrow, tow, towing