Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Oldvet View Post
The mechanic asked me if i`d run any ethanol in it and I said that I probably had, he said that it will clog up a carburetor and that it won`t show in the filter but will form this slime like I found in the bowl.
I think he may be on to something, my filter was clean as a whistle both times but the float bowl had this junk floating around in it. I`m going to run premium in everything from now on and nothing with ethanol in it. Take that info for what it`s worth as I can`t swear that`s what caused it but i haven`t had the problem since.
If you can safely do so try kicking it into four barrel and see if it takes off, if so you know your getting plenty of gas and that the low side of the carb is plugged up.
I'm with you on the use of premium fuel - it's the only non-ethanol fuel available in our area - hate the extra cost, but these older pre-ethanol engines and fuel systems probably appreciate the difference - and of course, the Onan genset benefits as well. The actual cost increase just MIGHT be cheaper in the long run, if fuel related problems are avoided!

John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
Exclamation Carefull when adding electric pumps.

If the MH did not have a factory installed pump (some that were factory installed as well) there could be a HUGE safety concern as the fuel flow is only controlled by the float in the carb.

If the pump is at the engine end it is not as much of a problem as the fuel path is visible, but if the pump is mounted near the tank you could have big problems.

Given the following.
Older MH that is poor starting and fuel starved under power
Runs ok when idle after it finally starts up.
New fuel filter and hose from engine mounted pump to carb.
Older MH, check valves in engine fuel pump may not seat real well and unit not able to pull good vacuum.
(it must have been ok when new...)

Situation A
Electric pump added at engine end
Pump runs for awhile then stops, pulls fuel from tank and charges the system, engine starts like new and power is restored.

Situation B
Electric pump added near tank
Pump runs for awhile fast and charges the system
Engine runs fine and power is restored
MH does not seem to get the same mileage as before?
Funny smell of gas when we stop?

First off, if an electric fuel pump is added anywhere in the system it needs to have a safety system, simply put, it needs to only be running when the engine is running or starting (safety bypassed), this is simple as an oil pressure switch to countrol the pump, when oil pressure is present then the pump can function. During STARTING this is bypassed via power from the starter relay, this allows the pump to charge the carb in the seconds that the engine is cranking, then once oil pressure is present it can resume.

If there is an accident, broken line or other issue that causes the engine to stop the pump will stop so there is not a constant fuel bath from the leak.

Loss of fuel?
If the MH is older there is likely small hairline cracks in the fuel line, these allow air into the line which reduces the ability of the engine mounted pump to pull the fuel up under the slow cranking speeds and also allows the fuel to drain back into the tank.

Adding a pressure to the line via the new electric pump mounted at the tank gets the fuel to the engine but also sprays or seeps the fuel out of the above holes and causes loss of fuel and coating things with the gas, now with fuel and air all one needs is a spark to light it up, and if there is no oil pressure interlock the engine will die when the fuel line melts, but the pump will continue to feed the fire until one turns off the key, but since the fire is under the MH and it is rolling down the road turning off the key is not the usual first action.

So, fix it correctly as the factory intended.
REPLACE the fuel line end to end (all rubber and non-metal parts).
Replace the fuel pump, filter and all clamps.

TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote