Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #1

84 chieftain remod.

I have an 84 chieftain, 30ft with 2 a/c's, everything works for the most part. I have a few questions and would love some input from you guys. First the generator button on dash will not light up and start genny, I have to start outside of MH. Second, i need suggestions on flooring, vinyl or carpet? third, my ceiling looks very old like a smokers ceiling, I would like to clean it or put something over it. I am also interested in painting the MH myself and would like some input. I also thought about putting some thin paneling up in the living area, any suggestions here? the one important thing I need is a hub cap for my front wheel. the previous owner lost one and the ugly wheel is an eye sore.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #2

Take a pic and send it to colaw rv joplin mo, they had one for my buddy. Check the 6 wire plug at the gen and it might need to be cleaned and reset. I put in pergo in all but the driver area and it was wonderful.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman74 View Post
I have an 84 chieftain, 30ft with 2 a/c's, everything works for the most part. I have a few questions and would love some input from you guys. First the generator button on dash will not light up and start genny, I have to start outside of MH. Second, i need suggestions on flooring, vinyl or carpet? third, my ceiling looks very old like a smokers ceiling, I would like to clean it or put something over it. I am also interested in painting the MH myself and would like some input. I also thought about putting some thin paneling up in the living area, any suggestions here? the one important thing I need is a hub cap for my front wheel. the previous owner lost one and the ugly wheel is an eye sore.
Welcome lawman, to answer some of your questions,
with flooring, its your personal choice on what your preferr..
with the ceiling..you can always clean it..as far as replaces it, thats a bigger job, but it can be done. and you can paint almost anything. and replace any wall.
my suggestion, work from the top to the bottom. find out what you want to do and search the threads, alot of people redo vintage rvs..including me as im doing now.check my thread..Post some pics up if you can!!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Lawman and Welcome to the Forum!

For your wheel cover, check eBay or an RV recycler/junkyard.
As to painting the coach yourself, do you have the equipment and facilities to spray it? If not, do a Google search on Roll and Tip Paint job.
Have fun remodeling your Winnie!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Definitely Ebay for the single hubcap. As to vinyl or carpet, obviously the choice is yours to make, but between those two options, I'd choose vinyl just for ease of maintenance. I'm a bigger fan of laminate, but to each his/her own. Painting it on your own is definitely doable, just put a lot of energy into preparation as that's the real key to a quality job. Tons of videos online with instructions on using Rustoleum cut with mineral spirits, just Google "$50.00 paint job" and you can spend most of the afternoon reading and watching videos.

I 2nd the "get some pics up" motion as the rule around here is, "pics or it didn't happen". Good luck and welcome to irv2
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post

I 2nd the "get some pics up" motion as the rule around here is, "pics or it didn't happen". Good luck and welcome to irv2
Too funny
Old 03-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

chieftain remod

I will get some pics up and I have decided to stick with the retro look but put new items in place. shag carpet and a new counter top. I also bought a couple of sheets of cedar paneling for the walls in the living room. I am having trouble taking the stove out to replace the countertop. Maybe I will figure it out.....thanks for all you yalls knowledge.

Lawman74
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I too have a "gen start/stop" switch on our dash with wires attached but it was never hooked into the gen its self as this motorhome came with "gen delete" ie: no gen. have yet to find the other end of the wire bundle.