Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

84 fleetwood southwind seatbelt upgrade

This 84 has the old lap belts can i upgrade the front two captains chairs. Has anyone else upgraded seatbelts?

Thanks jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy5 View Post
This 84 has the old lap belts can i upgrade the front two captains chairs. Has anyone else upgraded seatbelts?

Thanks jim
If you just want upgrade to a nicer lap belt then check out Replacement Seatbelts, Seat Belts, Retractable Seat Belts, and Seatbelt Extenders @ SeatBeltsPlus.co. They can send you color swatches so you can pick the best ones to match your interior colors.

If you want to upgrade to a shoulder harness, the research I did led me to believe that you can't. We replaced all the furniture in our motorhome and wanted to update the captains chairs to a style with an integrated shoulder harness. While checking into that we were told that to order the seats we had to provide VIN # for our coach and with the provided VIN # they had to be able to prove that it originally came with shoulder harness belts. To say the least we still have lap harnesses

Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I've seen mods around before that integrate shoulder belts into captains chairs, but I don't know if it is doable for any motorhome. Most I have seen them for was Class-C's using seat belt systems from compatible vans (Ford for Ford, Dodge for Dodge, etc). Best of luck, I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

I was not about to try to fabricate shoulder belts. You pretty much have to upgrade seats.

I did however change my old lap belts. The originals hung down on the floor and were a pain. I bought new ones from here.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
3 Point Retractable Seat Belts with Long Sash Guide

About half way down..: Retractable Seat Belts
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
3 Point Retractable Seat Belts with Long Sash Guide

About half way down..: Retractable Seat Belts
The problem with this approach is that the coach structure is not designed as a shoulder belt attach point. If you use this approach, you run the risk of having the upper attach point break free in a collision and having no seat belt protection.

The only real way to do it would be to retrofit seats with belt attach points in the seat back. Even then, if your current belt attach points are in the floor, you may not have sufficient structure for the seat attach.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Well.. you would need to reinforce any way..
Old 10-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
So if you figure about a 20g impact load and a 200 lb occupant, you need to reinforce the attach point to hold a 4000lb load + 150% safety factor, so that means a structure that would hold 6000 lbs going forward from the attach point. That's going to take some interesting bracing!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I see I am gonna have to actually engineer one for you..

However, depending on the type and model, I dont see where it would be all that hard. Even if a different type from what I showed was used and attached behind the seat to a hard point. Whether you used a seat with a shoulder belt hole, or used the side wall as a shoulder sash guide anchor attachment point (look at how flimsy this is on your car), it could be done.. all it takes is a little research, time, and few modifications.