Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

85' Holiday Rambler Fuel Problems

Hello all! Noob here!
Recently purchased a 1985 Holiday Rambler, Chevy 454, tag axle and rides good. Installed new cap, rotor, wires, fuel and oil filters. At week 2 carb (#1411-750cfm) flooded out on way home. Installed new richer carb (Edelbrock carb #1413-800 cfm). Ran fine on the way home (down hill). On the way to work next day (up hill) backfired through carb, right side exhaust red hot (some say running lean). On the way home new carb flooded out. Installed simple fuel pressure regulator. Set it to 2 psi, ran for a few seconds and starved out. Set it to 2.5 ran for a few seconds then fuel started pouring into carb and flooded out. No manual pump. Do not understand, electric pump on rail close to tank says 5.5-9 psi. Edelbrock says 6.5 is max and according to my inexpensive fuel pressure reg, 2.5 psi floods it out. Sitting on side of road 15 miles from home. Was not covered by AAA. Close enough to that I am able to work on it. But time and money running out. Fortunately not wifes patience What should I do next? Do I hunt better reg or is the electric pump freaking out? Any help greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayRoad View Post
Hello all! Noob here!
Recently purchased a 1985 Holiday Rambler, Chevy 454, tag axle and rides good. Installed new cap, rotor, wires, fuel and oil filters. At week 2 carb (#1411-750cfm) flooded out on way home. Installed new richer carb (Edelbrock carb #1413-800 cfm). Ran fine on the way home (down hill). On the way to work next day (up hill) backfired through carb, right side exhaust red hot (some say running lean). On the way home new carb flooded out. Installed simple fuel pressure regulator. Set it to 2 psi, ran for a few seconds and starved out. Set it to 2.5 ran for a few seconds then fuel started pouring into carb and flooded out. No manual pump. Do not understand, electric pump on rail close to tank says 5.5-9 psi. Edelbrock says 6.5 is max and according to my inexpensive fuel pressure reg, 2.5 psi floods it out. Sitting on side of road 15 miles from home. Was not covered by AAA. Close enough to that I am able to work on it. But time and money running out. Fortunately not wifes patience What should I do next? Do I hunt better reg or is the electric pump freaking out? Any help greatly appreciated.
The only fuel problem I had with my 454 was with the fuel filter, I had to replace it twice a year !!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

You are using a very high performance carb on your 440. 800 cfm is a carb for a built engine and I would imagine your engine can't handle the amount of gas it is getting.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Myself, if I still had the original carb, I'd rebuild it, install an easily changed filter ahead of it, and put it back to stock? I know it worked that way. With the Holley carbs you're never sure?

Tags
fuel