Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

'86 Elandan starting issues

This is probably a no brainer to some of you. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I'd like to bounce it off of some others.

454 Chevy engine. Starts fine when cold, but then won't start back when it warms up. It'll crank VERY slowly sometimes, but other times the solenoid will just click (weakly). Trickle charging the battery doesn't seem to help; the only thing that seems to make it start better is letting it sit long enough to cool off. Jumping it doesn't help, either.

So.....starter problem, or connection to the starter, or....?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

p.
padraig1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How about the ground strap from motor to chassis frame and ground wire from battery to frame!!
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

I thought about the grounding strap, but I checked it and it appears to be fine. Not half rusted or half there, good solid connection to the frame and the motor.....

I gave the battery ground a once over, but I could have missed a loose connection. I'll give that a shot and see. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometime the brushes & armatures just wear down to the point it's time for a rebuild or new starter.......
I prefer the high torque mini starters and place a heat shield between the starter & exhaust manifold.....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Jim, that's the first thing that came to mind....starter rebuild. With as many miles as I have on the engine, it wouldn't shock me at all if that wasn't the problem. I was hoping it was simpler than that, but not really expecting it to be.

I'll start sniffing around for that high torque starter you mentioned. Thanks for the comments!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padraig1066 View Post
Jim, that's the first thing that came to mind....starter rebuild. With as many miles as I have on the engine, it wouldn't shock me at all if that wasn't the problem. I was hoping it was simpler than that, but not really expecting it to be.

I'll start sniffing around for that high torque starter you mentioned. Thanks for the comments!
If you decide on the mini starter please check the length of the bolts they send with the starter, Mine bottomed out so a thin shim washer was needed....
Those blind holes can bottom out real easy and crack the block area...

Jim
Old 08-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

That's good to know, thanks for that very valuable tip!

What brand starter did you go with?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
That's good to know, thanks for that very valuable tip!

What brand starter did you go with?
The starters are modified "Chebby" new, The shop (RB Performance) machines up new bearings for both ends of the starter eliminating the bushings....
I would pick them up (a few years back) at the Long Beach swap meet, Also got a dealor discount ($125.00) per unit but like I said that was a few years back....
I purchased e'nuf and kept them on the shelf but now I'm low BUT retired. If they are still in business they are located in Parker Arizona, 521 West 11th street 85344 (928) 669-6411

Jim
Old 08-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #9

Thanks Jim....I'll try to track 'em down. Appreciate the info!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #10

Another question. I've seen some comments here and there about being given the wrong starter, some with a longer throwout, different number of teeth, etc. So....my first thought would be to take my starter off and take it with me to match up. But should I do anything else, or is this really not a likely issue at all?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Another question. I've seen some comments here and there about being given the wrong starter, some with a longer throwout, different number of teeth, etc. So....my first thought would be to take my starter off and take it with me to match up. But should I do anything else, or is this really not a likely issue at all?
The flex plates are 168 tooth and I've never seen one different, The bolts are different though.....Are your straight or staggard, Mine are staggard.

Jim
Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #12

Jim, right now I have no idea....the Elandan is about 7 hours away, getting brake work done. First thing I'll check though, when I get ready to replace the starter.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "no hot start" is a common older-Chevy problem.
Sometimes fixed by:
* new solenoid
* rebuilt starter
* new hi-torque starter
* insulating blanket between starter and exhaust manifold
BUT not always.
I had an older Chevy Suburban that plagued me with this issue for YEARS. What finally fixed it was running a new wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch on the dash.
Good Luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #14

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info! Hopefully the fix will be simple (and cheap!). I figure I'll just plan on taking a nice rest every time I need to stop, as I bring this one home.