Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Looking good, we have a 82 PA but not the Eleganza. I plan on doing the same to my ceiling. Aot lot of the wall paper that was on the paneling looks terrible, so I'm just going to take it off.
Tim
This stucco beadboard from home depot and Fuze it by liquid nails are great! The stucco panels are like $30 each, but they are mold and water proof. I used rivets to attach everything as well, for good measure..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #16

Hi there. We have almost the same rv. Mine is an '87 Pace Arrow Y27 while your's is an '86 Pace Arrow Eleganza Y27. So I have a few questions; 1) is yours carb or was it upgraded to TBI? 2) was the original interior the rose color code? 3) is your power center the original Progressive Dynamics PD737002RL128? And I do have a couple of pieces of info for you; the original alternator required a separate voltage regulator. It should be mounted on one of the engine bulkheads. If it's still connected, you have the original; if not, then it has been upgraded. And find out what electrical shop you local Catapillar heavy equipment dealer uses to rebuild their starters because you can't buy a replacement anymore. Your starter is a direct cross-over for one that Cat used to use.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #17

BTW, on your roof, did you have about a 1/4-3/8 inch lip created by the metal edge trim to original fiberglass roof? And if so, did your reproof project eliminate that lip?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmaddog View Post
Hi there. We have almost the same rv. Mine is an '87 Pace Arrow Y27 while your's is an '86 Pace Arrow Eleganza Y27. So I have a few questions; 1) is yours carb or was it upgraded to TBI? 2) was the original interior the rose color code? 3) is your power center the original Progressive Dynamics PD737002RL128? And I do have a couple of pieces of info for you; the original alternator required a separate voltage regulator. It should be mounted on one of the engine bulkheads. If it's still connected, you have the original; if not, then it has been upgraded. And find out what electrical shop you local Catapillar heavy equipment dealer uses to rebuild their starters because you can't buy a replacement anymore. Your starter is a direct cross-over for one that Cat used to use.
As a matter of fact I just had the qjet rebuilt and put it back on today!.. I wish I had TBI... I belive the color code was the rose.. I will check tomorrow! The power center in the original model that came with the RV.. it hasn't given me any problems yet.. I still get good charge from the alternator.. the noise makes me curious.. I have an extra alternator that came with the rv, it looks to be a unit without a built in regulator..
Old 08-26-2016, 11:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmaddog View Post
BTW, on your roof, did you have about a 1/4-3/8 inch lip created by the metal edge trim to original fiberglass roof? And if so, did your reproof project eliminate that lip?
There was a raised portion from the trim going over the fiberglass.. I caulked it will self leveling dicor, then trimmed the excess off and applied fiber sealant over top of it.
The surface is level now.. enough that condensation from the ac no longer pools there anymore..
Old 08-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #20

Be very glad you still have the carb setup. When they started using TBI, it added all sorts of electronic engine controls that require special equipment to test/repair systems. And even though mine is officially listed as an '87, the motor and drive train are all '86 and pre-TBI! This means I can do most work without paying mechanics. And I did lose a starter so that's how I know about rebuild on it. Hell, rebuild cost me $5 in parts and that included the fuel to go get the parts! But you can't get the high torque/low rpm starters that they used back then; and new 7.4L Vortec starters use a different bolt pattern. As for converter, P.D. no longer makes anything to service the old ones like ours. And ours is a bit odd; it's a 48Amp output. So if it goes bad, you have to go up to 55-60A ones. And get a hardwired surge protector ASAP!!! I'm going to have to replace mine because I didn't have one. And take the spare alternator to Autozone or similar to get it checked. If it's good, you may delay the inevitable switch for a while. And as for roof, the condensate pooling is least of my worries. When it rain, I have a pond up on mine. That's why I asked if you had eliminated the lip.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #21

BTW, could you post a pic of the kitchen floor in yours? I'm curious because I suspect that the previous owner really FUBAR'ed the cover over the water/electric/LP crossover cover. I may be able to remanufacture to original if I see what it SHOULD be. And mine wasn't in as good a shape as yours when I bought mine.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #22

Here is a video update!!

https://youtu.be/oyqLDCVy2B4
Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #23

Nice work! BTW, noticed you said the heater doesn't work. Check your combustion air in/out vents. Bet the seals are shot just like mine are. So be glad the heater doesn't work. Would hate to lose an interesting interior design team and a classic rv. My old suburban heater is dead too. Plan to replace that big box with an Atwood 8900 series when I get enough cash together. Until then, I'm using a pair of 1500W ceramic heaters. They are a bit safer than the one I saw in the video.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:54 AM   #24

With all the manor work you're doing, this is trivial, but in one of the first pictures, I saw a pack of White Cloud toilet paper. Great for hkuse, bad for RV!

You should use thin, 1 ply paper or it will clump up and clog.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:15 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking good, I'm still working on the exterior of our 82 PA,
Did you say you have the paint codes? The ones I have are no good so I have been told. Mine are located under the kitchen sink on the Cabinet door. I see your furnace isn't working. I'm lucky mine works flawlessly. I also installed a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm. So far it has only gone off when I burn my toast!!!!!
We now have 60,000 mile on ours. It had 44,000 when we bought her, and just under 300 hour's on the genie. On your alt- generator, did you check the belt tightness? Our's was a little lose after we changed it last spring, squealed nonstop with the headlights on. Tighten it up but haven't tried yet? Have you gotten a price on a replacement on yours yet?
Thanks for your posts, enjoyable.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
With all the manor work you're doing, this is trivial, but in one of the first pictures, I saw a pack of White Cloud toilet paper. Great for hkuse, bad for RV!

You should use thin, 1 ply paper or it will clump up and clog.
It's white cloud rv safe single ply
Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #27

I will take a picture of the paint codes
Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Looking good, I'm still working on the exterior of our 82 PA,
Did you say you have the paint codes? The ones I have are no good so I have been told. Mine are located under the kitchen sink on the Cabinet door. I see your furnace isn't working. I'm lucky mine works flawlessly. I also installed a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm. So far it has only gone off when I burn my toast!!!!!
We now have 60,000 mile on ours. It had 44,000 when we bought her, and just under 300 hour's on the genie. On your alt- generator, did you check the belt tightness? Our's was a little lose after we changed it last spring, squealed nonstop with the headlights on. Tighten it up but haven't tried yet? Have you gotten a price on a replacement on yours yet?
Thanks for your posts, enjoyable.
Tim
Our coach has 60k on it and 269h on the genset. Belts are good. I will post a pic of the paint codes.