Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

86 Holiday Rambler Aluma lite - 2 Questions

Well, I probably have a lot more than two questions, but I don't want to scare anyone - lol. I just got this Holiday Rambler, and am getting acquainted with it. I need to replace the bathroom sink. The outer measurements seem to be about 16 inches x 12 inches, but those dimensions do not seem to match any of the replacement sinks I have found. I can re-measure, but many of them I see are 17 x 20, which is too big. I could use some guidance on where to locate a sink to replace the ugly nasty one I have now.

Also, I have a few things that do not seem to have any power to them at all, and yet all the breakers seem to be ok. I have a 30 amp plug. I talked with an RV dealer who said that with a 30 amp plug you can run either the rear or the front air conditioner, but not both, and that there is a switch "somewhere" to change this over. I have searched high and low for the switch. Any suggestions are appreciated. A couple of other things seem to have no power to them at all like the stove vent hood and the electric steps. I'll dig into the wiring some more, but if I am missing something obvious I'd like to start there.

Thanks - new to the forum and to RVs. The Holiday Rambler seems to be a great way to start!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not sure about the sink but on the electrical side I had the whole back half of my 84 HR not working if it was AC. Breakers were good with power thru it. It was the outside receptacle's box. The box's are of poor design. A wire was loose on the back side and the outside outlet was the first outlet in the series from the breaker box so nothing had power past that. I replaced it with a GFCI outlet. I have a switch on the wall near the oven to switch between the microwave and the air conditioner but that's it.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #3

Switch by Microwave

Thanks for the help Gump. There is a round switch above the fridge, but It doesn't seem to do anything. It looks like It has a little red lens that should maybe light up when it is engaged, but nothing lights up. All my outlets have power, except I haven't tried the outside outlet yet. I'll have to get a wiring diagram and start investigating.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The electric steps would be 12volt DC will the vent hood is probably 120volt AC.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #5

First, you need to understand you have 2 electrical systems, a 12 volt DC power system, which runs off your "house" batteries and the 120 volt AC system, which is powered from your 30 amp power cord.
Your lights, water pump, stove fan, electric steps and possibly your fridge all run on 12 volts from the battery.
Your electrical outlets and air conditioners are what are powered from shore power.
Your 12 volt systems uses fuses, and your 120 volt system uses breakers.

Look for a fuse in one of your fuse boxes or in your main power center for the electric steps, which are 12 volts; they will take a 25 amp fuse and if the steps got jammed at one point, it may have burnt out the fuse. There is also a switch in the doorframe for the steps, which could be bad, as well as one somewhere else (on the dash in a motorhome) to turn the steps completely on and off. You can check for 12 volts at either of those switches.

The fan is also 12 volt, and I would first check the fuses, and then for power at the switch in the stove hood. Assuming you have lights working, you should also have functioning batteries, but it may be that your batteries are weak.

Your RV guy was correct- 30 amp power is not enough to run both air conditioners at once. There is a switch somewhere- in our Fleetwood, it was a round dial-type selector switch (front-off-rear) hidden in a cupboard up front.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #6

All Great Information!

I appreciate everyone's patience with having to go over the basics. That is good info to know on the 12v DC vs. 120 AC. I'll bet I do have a fuse blown (or two).

It is at the shop now getting some state inspection issues resolved, but once I get it back and check it out further I will let you know my results and next questions.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #7

Ask all the questions you need to- there is a lot of knowledge here on these forums and every one of us started out where you are now.

The truth is, every vintage RV is a learning experience!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My 96 HR MH has a round dial switch in the bedroom, on the front of the nightstand, w/f, off, w/R,, (Front a/c, off, rear a/c)
mine also has a digital thermostat, that you have to hold the fan and mode button down at the same time to switch the mode to front or rear. Mine, when running the 7000 watt generator, will power both a/c's, but you have to have the switch in the bedroom to front pos. and the system will run them both! Took me playing with it, to figure it out? Rail!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'd love to see pics of your HR's different gadgets.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #10

My A/C switch is located in the cupboard just behind the driver. It's a 1989 Southwind.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
I'd love to see pics of your HR's different gadgets.
Gump, I would love to take some pic's for you, but I am back in Thailand, and the MH is in Glendale, Az. for sale! Sorry? It had 30 amp service, wondered why it did not have 50? Since it had the big generator! Rail!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rail,
I don't think that the units had 50 amp in 96, the campgrounds weren't wired for it at that time either.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #13

Thanks for the info on the round switch. I have one of those, it is above the fridge, but doesn't have any markings on it - or if there were markings, they are long gone. The MH came with a big binder with all the manuals and receipts for just about everything imaginable, so documentation is good, but I couldn't find info about the switch. Once I get this unit back from the shop I'll be digging in.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #14

That front/off/rear switch is for selecting which air you want to run when you are plugged in only. Suggest it is to be used only when both AC's are turned off. Make your front/rear selection, THEN go turn the AC on.

When running on the genny, you can run both of course, but you want to make darn sure that switch is not on "rear" as it would provide a direct path/short between the 2 AC legs supplied by the genny. This will pop breakers on the gen set itself or possibly on the breaker panel in the coach. I've also killed the genny completely rather abruptly by early experimenting, done prior to understanding how the coach was wired. That's a situation that can't be good, needs to be avoided.....

Tags
holiday rambler