Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #1

'87 Bounder small updates

Hi all,

Not much to report overall on the renovation and freshening up of our Bounder. But a few small updates that add up to a few more jobs off the ever growing list of things to do!!!

First off the original drapes in the windshield weren't doing much for sun stopping and our old sunshades had bit the dust, for the moment we couldnt see buying one of the more expensive outside sunshades, instead found "blackout drapes" from walmart. Heavy white cotton drapes that do indeed block out "All sun and heat" for a fraction of the cost Plus they fitted straight on the existing drape track,also covering the dash vinyl from the sun.

Next up the old barman assist handle and light needed replacing, original lense had desintigrated over time and the light switch was dead. With some new putty tape, new shiny screws a new handle now lights the way at night. Looks very nice during the day, amazing what a new shiny handle can do to the overall look of the coach.

Last but no means least after a bath the "Beast" looked better, but have now started to compound the gelcoat fiberglass body. After reading about a member on here and another rv forum who used a certain type of compound/polish just had to give it a try. 3M compound & color restorer , does a fantastic job as the beasts beige gelcoat had totally dulled down looking like it was painted with a matt finish.

Will have to get one of those electric polishers the auto industry uses, will make the job of polishing the 34 foot monster a whole lot easier!!

Heres a shot of the blackout drapes now in place ,after the bath and
the small start at compounding the fiberglass,note the shine V the matt finish.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Oh and heres a couple of pictures showing the new bargman assist handle in place.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm admiring your new assist handle; the one on our '89 Southwind is in sad shape as well, but replacing is lower down on the budget for now. Tell me, is the light in yours controlled by the same switch as the porchlight?
We too are de-oxidizing the beige gelcoat- isn't it amazing how good the old girl looks with a bit of shine???

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #4

The light is controlled by the little switch inside the assist handle ( the black object just visible in the close up, behind the T bar of the handle. Just like the original one was. The handle was only just over $30 and with new putty tape the whole job only took 30 minutes from start to finish.
As for the porch light? dont know how to turn ours on!! Its round the other side and cant seem to find any switches!

Good luck with the de oxidizing on Your Southwind! They certainly look better with the shine put back on their faces!! Not quite brand new looking but a million times better than it was.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #5

doing the same with compound now my 1985 southwind is coming around as i speak
dave
Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, now, isn't that interesting...I just went to look at our assist handle, and there is no light mechanism behind it at all. I'm wondering now if it ever had one- what would be the lens is heavy beige plastic, not just painted over as I'd assumed.
I guess the porch light over the door (which your Bounder lacks) took the place of the lighted handle.

doing the same with compound now my 1985 southwind is coming around as i speak
dave

Hey, Dave, guess those of us with vintage Fleetwoods all got tired of the dull-and-dingies at the same time.
We need to do something with our side striping- its badly cracked and and unevenly faded.
Has anyone ever used the 3M product for removing old decals/striping? It's a stripping wheel that is supposed to remove the decals without damaging the gelcoat.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #7

"Dave" bet the coach is going to look great when you are finished!

Just out of curiosity what compounds/polishes etc and method are you both using? Old
fashioned elbow grease? Or the sensible way of the electric polisher.

"Senior Chief" the lense on the handle is a thick opaque plastic that you would never imagine would let light through! But at night Wow!! Its like we have a landing light on the side of the coach. Our porch light is on the other side of the Beast, up high over the top of rear side window & over the hookups. As yet we still haven't found
how to turn it on!

Never used the 3M de striping product, although that sounds something I will need as the side striping is in very good condition unlike the front striping :( Very faded and cracked, some stripes are decal and some are painted.

Haven't decided as to what I will redo the striping with? Decal or paint...

Long live the vintage Fleetwoods!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #8

compound i believe is dupoint #7 i think its in a metal can i had it around for years might not be made then meguires. its been hot here in texas so i just do a little here and there the last time i did this was 3 years ago.
i gave up on the brown stripes as they were in bad shape so when i was in lowes i saw krylon profesional brown spray paint a lot of blue painters tape and i was impressed it also lasted 3 years on the bottom of coach is brown also i painted also. i love the rig after jim helped me out i got a little over 8 mpg pulling a 4 door chevy truck
dave