Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

87 Bounder starting issues

Hi all

The general renovation to our Bounder has slowed but is still ongoing . This time its the engine department that is being a pain!

It is a Ford 460 on a John Deere chassis , carb fed . Now the last time we cranked it up it was after replacing a rogue chassis battery and putting some gas in the tank.

Its been through some cold conditions , after recharging the new battery (been standing as we full time just not travel around the country) it turns over but doesn't fire! Now there's 1/4 of a tank showing on the gauge , full battery charge just no fire.

The Bounder has an externally viewed and accessible fuel filter/electric pump from one of the luggage compartments. The filter is an AC one with a unscrewable canister(metal housing , non see through) theres fuel in the bottom of the canister and the filter itself is wet with fuel , just not as much as I'd imagine. The fuel comes from the tank through this filter then into the electric pump, then onto the engine. The feed splits before the pump for the generator fuel.
The fuel line appears intact hard rubber but intact, also with as much turning over as we have done there's no smell of fuel coming from the carb with the airfilter off.

Have yet to check whether we have spark and if fuel is even getting passed the pump, the electric pump sounds like its working when you turn the key just before you turn the final part.

Any other ideas as to what could be causing this? Before this last spell of us not starting it and the cold spell it cranked 1st time with fuel in and the new battery. Possibly needs more fuel? vapor lock? I have no idea if the coach has a fuel pump also in the tank or on the engine. Anything else engine wise that I haven't thought of?

Sorry for the rambling but just thought I'd ask on here before undoing stuff!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a spray can of "Berryman B12" and give the carb a few sprays, That will tell you real quick if the engine will fire or not..

Jim

Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Exact same motor here..... Are you following the start procedure in the owners manual? It's very different than my other vehicles, which don't require touching the gas pedal at all. Mine requires pumping the pedal several times before cranking and also during cranking, but it always starts up, and this is according to the book.

Also, how long since it's been run and how old is the fuel? Stale gas will give you fits, I've found.

I'm not sure if Berryman's is considered starting fluid, but it's also a good idea to try.

Bob

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Berryman B-12 is a very good starting fluid plus with a spray can you can find air leak around the carb/manifold easy.

Jim
Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice Its been a good few months since its last start so figure the gas is the same sort of age. As for the starting procedure ... as the fuel has a good way to travel always tend to pump the pedal a few times but havent got the owners manual. Will give that method a try , also the B12.... time to head to the autoparts store.

Thanks again for the suggestions . Would seafoam do the same sort of job as B12?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, Seafoam will work the same way...
I use both products for different purposes cleaning out gummy carbs & TBIs, For air leaks Berryman is better and for the "tuff" to find I'll use "Mapp gas" unlit.

Jim
Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #7

So when cleaning out gummy carbs and TBI's is that pouring it down the air intake of those?

Actually handy as our old 1987 chevy G20 van with 5.0 TBI is running well rich and is sucking more fuel than it should.

When I get a spare moment will have a good look at the Bounder engine/fuel.
Oh and we have owners manuals ! Including the original John Deere " Vehicle chassis parts catalog" too! So although some of the systems like the parking brake system looks scary we have a list of parts and also exploded views of everything
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauland Ro View Post
So when cleaning out gummy carbs and TBI's is that pouring it down the air intake of those?

Actually handy as our old 1987 chevy G20 van with 5.0 TBI is running well rich and is sucking more fuel than it should.

When I get a spare moment will have a good look at the Bounder engine/fuel.
Oh and we have owners manuals ! Including the original John Deere " Vehicle chassis parts catalog" too! So although some of the systems like the parking brake system looks scary we have a list of parts and also exploded views of everything
Pouring Seafoam down the intake (not novice recomended) will clean out the carbon deposits on your heads, Valves and pistons. The reason I don't like the novice messing with this proceedure is they can liquid lock the engine.
I spray down the carb throats just to shine them up a dab, Another thing done is with my 82 gallon tank is to dump 4-5 cans into the fuel while filling up and I do that about every 4th or 5th tankful.
What that will do is keep the carb clean and benifit the genny also by cleaning up the internals (Pistons, valves & heads) while I/you drive and use....
Generators that are NOT properly run on a monthly basis will properly work the bigger percentage of the time.

Jim
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #9

Thank you for the sound advice Jim I hear you about the non novice approach of pouring down the intake. When I was in England my 1st car needed a carbon clean out so using Redex ( uk equivalent to seafoam etc) it went in the fuel also trickled a little down the carb intake. Luckily did that in a quiet area as the smoke was amazing! Run so much better after that, so understand the lightly spray/shine the bores.

Thanks again and as soon as the renovations and I have a few minutes will have a good look and report back.

Paul.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Easy fuel system checks:

Will the genny start? Yes = fuel flowing from gas tank.

Take the air cleaner off, open the choke with your finger, and jack the throttle a couple times. If there is fuel in the carb, you will see it squirt inside the front 2 throttle bores. You see it squirting, you do not have a fuel related problem.