Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
'87 Chieftan 31'

Cheiftan 31 from my in laws a couple years ago. We were camping this weekend and I have power to the A/C unit forward. Nothing in the back turns on (bathroom, hallway, bedroom). As I was doing some investigating, I located the breaker box and flipped the breaker closest to the bathroom to OFF and the rear lights turned on? They also turn on when I have the AUX. battery switch on. I am unsure of what needs to be fixed but, I figure I would get some help on here and offer any help if I am able to do so! Also, need to fix my leaky manifolds on the infamous BBC 454. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Hrm... turning breakers off that result in lights coming on is obviously not a good thing.

I will make the assumption you were plugged into shore power or running the genset.

Few questions so we can help you more....
(1) Are you referring to 110VAC lights or 12VDC lights?
(2) Check all the 110VAC outlets with something like a hair dryer. Do they all work?
(3) Can you post a picture of the "breaker box" with the cover open that you're referring to?

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Most mid 80's Winnebago's came with a Magnetek (now Parralax) 6300 Series power center

The 6300 series converter is located in the bottom section and it contains a transfer relay that selects between battery and converter output to the Coach DC fuse board in the top section (old design not used in the modern day market). When you flipped the CB, you powered off the converter which resulted in the relay transfer from converter to battery operation. Given that there was a transfer when you cycled the switch, you may have some sort of wiring problem in the converter section. Could be a simple as a loose wire on the transfer relay.

They also turn on when I have the AUX. battery switch on.
Do you have a AUX battery and a AUX Start switch on the dash? If so,

AUX Bat energizes the coach battery disconnect relay which needs to be ON when using your rig. Allows you to turn off the coach batteries in storage so they do not get drained.

AUX Start is used cross connect the chassis battery and coach batteries so that if the chassis battery has gotten run down you can use the coach battery to assist you to start the engine.

I have power to the A/C unit forward
You have a 30 amp shore power system. Only one AC can be ran at a time from shore power. To run both AC's at the same time you have to run the generator. While the generator can support both AC's concurrently, shore power can not. The way your rig was originally wired, you can connect the shore power cable to the generator plug and run both AC's from the generator or you can plug the shore power plug into the campsite box to run the forward AC and then start the generator to run the rear AC. You should most likely also have a separate switch that allows front or rear AC selection. It's intended use is, when on shore power only, it allows you to select either the front or rear AC for operation.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Thanks for the info Dave and Newmar. I only have one AC unit. I will get some pics of the breaker box and the dash switches to show you the configuration
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Hey, where is a good place to locate wiper blades for this model also?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Found them! Looks like Trico 64-201 are the ones I need