Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Did you get a good deal on tires? That's in my future, though a little down the road...

Do you have any pictures of the interior up yet?
Finishing up the interior this weekend then I'll post some pictures. I found some guy on EBay that shipped 6 8r19.5 tires that were within 2 months of current on date codes. They are advance brand (which is Samson). All look good and they were $104 each with free shipping. I mounted them myself and I'm using beads to balance. So far so good! Cheapest quote I got from a tire shop was $1800 and I'm in about $800 for tires, tools, and balance beads. Fun fact! I had a steer tire that was manufactures in 97 and the spare was manufactured in 87!
Viciousharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Also you can follow me on Instagram @viciousharp I tend to post pictures as I go there and only post here as I hit larger milestones.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #31

The picture on the side is actually covering up another decal underneath. I eventually plan on a new exterior scheme. I will likely use the existing straight stripes as they would be difficult to ever permanently "disappear".

There are a couple pics of the outside of the rig on the first page of this thread.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #32

That's awesome on the mounting gear. Probably something I should consider myself. This rig has 8 tires. I haven't checked the date codes, but the steer tires are the newest, a receipt from 2005 showing their replacement. The rest of the tires look like a dried up lake bed.

So you could probably list that "vintage" spare on ebay.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
The crazy thing about the spare is it still had about 65 psi in it. Thing was still holding air. I used 2 tire spoons from Northern Tool, a 2 foot pipe to go over them if I needed more leverage. A jug of ruglyde from Napa and an 18" bike tube to seat the beads. Once I got my system down takes me about 30 mins per tire from start to finish.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #34

That's pretty cool, I am seriously considering getting a setup for tire work as well. You can definitely get a set of tires delivered for a fraction of the cost quoted at the tire shops.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #35

After some running around today I had the opportunity to get the 1 1/2" insulation in the ceiling and get the first two sheets of luan on the ceiling. My bedroom has a ceiling now instead of a complete mess! I ran a new wire to the A/C unit inside the ceiling and into the back wall area. I used MC cable so no worries of abrasion or wear. Previously there was a shorter wire that ran through the cabinetry beside the bed; this way I have the option of building the bedroom cabinets any way I like without having a romex going through it. I also have a couple wires in place to put in a couple recess lights in the ceiling. I am making my own "mini-can" lights out of LED MR16 bulbs fitted inside a 1 1/2" PVC flange. This way I don't have the surface mount lights to duck, and it should look really clean.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #36

With the nonstop rain the last 3 weeks and that annoying need to earn a living, I have had very little time to work on the motorhome. I have 7 gallons of Liquid EPDM roof awaiting the time to prep an install in addition to the rest of the materials for the inside of the roof.
Itis all going to have to wait another couple months as I am currently preparing our travel trailer for a trip to Michigan to work a site operations job for Electric Forest. I really wanted to have the roof all wrapped up before we left, but the universe had different ideas. My lady and I are working the same festival then we plan to take a couple weeks getting home camping in parks and boondocking on the way.

I do hope to get a lot done on the motorhome upon our return. I have another site operations gig in October and would love to be able to use the Georgie Boy.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #37

Well after being up North for 9 weeks I finally got somewhat settled back in and got set up for more work on the motorhome.

I tore out the rest of the rotted ceiling and got the furniture and cabinets removed from the main part of the interior.

I will be getting the roof back to a stable place where it can be walked upon to do the Liquid EPDM roof. I am also preparing to peel back the rear quarter to tackle the delamination.

Here's a picture of the ceiling in all its naked glory:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-01 12.56.16.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	217205  
Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #38

Today the DW came out to help get the interior prepped for new underlayment while I got ready to peel back the filon.

She pulled out all the carpet, removed the bed frame in the back and the couch frame up front, in addition to clearing out the remaining debris from my ceiling demolition on Friday.

While she was working inside I was outside removing the awning (surprise, surprise the screws at the top were attached only to the drip rail, the drip rail extrusion, and the moulding between the end cap and the side. The screws in the moulding were of course in terrible shape and most had to be drilled out. Once the moulding was off, the upper filon sheet was basically loose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-09-03 23.12.49.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	217574   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-03 23.15.46.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	217575  

Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #39

I had to go out and earn money the last couple days, so not much got done on the Georgie Boy. I do have a good bit of the rotted subfloor out already, I will be removing the last couple bits that were hard to access this AM and I have new plywood to put in its place. That's the goal for today, then I will address the roof in the front of the coach.

Once I have reached that stage, then I will be tackling the filon delamination. I have been psyching myself up for that part and I have gone through several possibilities in my head about how to do it. I have decided that rolling the filon back out of the way and rebuilding the wall from the outside using the West System G-Flex and then re attaching the filon to the new substrate is about the only way to get such a large area to lay flat.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #40

Well as the nature of the beast can sometimes be, those last few bits of old OSB were hiding damage to the purlins running fore to aft under the underlayment. I spent the day ripping out the damage and replacing with pressure treated 1X4.

The heat and humidity lately have been like an uncomfortably warm wet blanket. Just a few minutes working and my t-shirt looks as if I jumped into a pool. It definitely makes progress more difficult.

With all that, I did manage to get the first piece of replacement underlayment down. I opted to go with plywood instead of the OSB that the manufacturer opted for thirty some years ago.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #41

First piece of underlayment

Here's the bedroom with the 1st piece of plywood down. The area behind (where the jumble of wiring and furnace are resting) is where the bed was located. The underlayment was in great shape here, so I am going to leave it be. Especially considering the fact that its still completely laminated to the foam below, and it will be once again under the bed. I'm off to put the rest down now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-09-08 10.45.42.jpg
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	218087  
Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #42

Yesterday I managed to get the underlayment in the bathroom area replaced. The majority of the coach wiring comes through this area, both the drive and tag wheel wells are also in this section. That coupled with some more purlin reinforcement and extreme heat/humidity made for a full day.

I did manage to get the front section demoed, and there's a lot fewer obstructions up front, so I hope to have the floors tackled today.

Tags
complete renovation, georgie boy, restoration, vintage remodel