RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #57

Well as things often go, I had some unexpected chores pop up this afternoon that pushed back my time line today. At one point I went to wash my hands, and the water stopped mid wash. I went and checked the well, and the pressure switch wasn't making good contact. I killed the power, sanded the contacts a bit and got it repressurized.

Shortly after that, I was back to building my jigs, and just as I thought I was ready to start the epoxy process, the DW comes to tell me that it's our neighbor's birthday. She's kinda like family, so off to the shower, epoxy tomorrow...

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Well as things often go, I had some unexpected chores pop up this afternoon that pushed back my time line today. At one point I went to wash my hands, and the water stopped mid wash. I went and checked the well, and the pressure switch wasn't making good contact. I killed the power, sanded the contacts a bit and got it repressurized.

Shortly after that, I was back to building my jigs, and just as I thought I was ready to start the epoxy process, the DW comes to tell me that it's our neighbor's birthday. She's kinda like family, so off to the shower, epoxy tomorrow...

Honey-Do lists always trump ours.

If you ever get the time, check out this guy's site. He's the one who has been restoring the Chris Craft 46' boat and the reason I have maintained the motivation to restore the Monaco. Plus, I've learned about a lot of cool tools and products from him: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Honey-Do lists always trump ours.

If you ever get the time, check out this guy's site. He's the one who has been restoring the Chris Craft 46' boat and the reason I have maintained the motivation to restore the Monaco. Plus, I've learned about a lot of cool tools and products from him: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit
That is quite the project. I love the old Chris Crafts. Thanks for the link, you are right. Lots of great information there.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #60

Today was yet another record breaking day for heat. The forecast for the rest of the week is that we'll be cooling off by the first day of autumn; we'll only be in the low 90s on Friday, woo hoo!

In spite of everything, I made progress today. I have the lower panel epoxied in place. The supports are pressing the filon against the luan and its hot from the curing process. Though the epoxy is curing quickly, the curing process is cut roughly in half for every 18 degrees above 70. It was 98 today with a heat index of 108, it was kicking quick! I'm leaving the pressure on it until the morning, to be safe and because I see no gain in removing it tonight. The G-Flex is a very thick substance, about the consistency of Vaseline. I have to admit that any time I am taxed with mixing a two part product, it makes me a little nervous, just knowing that you are at the point of no return. Once I was refinishing an old bathtub with a two-part coating. I had earlier in the day had an egg salad sandwich from a gas station; literally as I was loading the mixture into my spray gun, the food poisoning kicked in. I was working alone, on a tight budget, there was no choice but to carry on. The finish required 3 separate coats of the material with a delay of about 45 minutesbetween coats. It was one of those "both ends" kind of stomach issues, so here I go, stomach cramping, sweating bullets, wearing a respirator, spraying the tub and surrounding tiles. At one point I was literally sitting on the toilet as I was spraying the tub. Luckily that didn't happen today, but I have since had a policy of no gas station food on 2-part mix days!

In addition to the filon, I reinstalled the interior wall insulation using a water-based contact adhesive. I am starting to believe that I will actually get this wall back together!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-19 18.46.12.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	957.7 KB
ID:	219708  
Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #61

I try to do some tire work, how do u use a bike tube to pop up the the tires to the rims.
Thanks.
pappyralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyralph View Post
I try to do some tire work, how do u use a bike tube to pop up the the tires to the rims.
Thanks.
I have seen that done to seal the bead on the top. Personally I wrap a ratchet strap around the center of the tread and tighten until it pulls the bead to the seat as I am applying air.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #63

I pulled the bracing from the lower panel this morning. The filon was flat and stuck to the plywood substrate like nobody's business! It was a success! I am happy and relieved.

Though, applying the epoxy yesterday, it took more than I anticipated. (Go figure) So I am off to Jacksonville for more epoxy. The top panel is larger so with building another jig, setting up, and a 2-3 hour trip, it may be Friday before I get to lay up the top panel. Though I'm pretty determined and I may just set up some lights and get it happening tonight.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I pulled the bracing from the lower panel this morning. The filon was flat and stuck to the plywood substrate like nobody's business! It was a success! I am happy and relieved.

Though, applying the epoxy yesterday, it took more than I anticipated. (Go figure) So I am off to Jacksonville for more epoxy. The top panel is larger so with building another jig, setting up, and a 2-3 hour trip, it may be Friday before I get to lay up the top panel. Though I'm pretty determined and I may just set up some lights and get it happening tonight.

Very nice! With the temps being hotter, how long was the epoxy's pot life?
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #65

Hot Epoxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Very nice! With the temps being hotter, how long was the epoxy's pot life?
The G-Flex was definitely getting hot quickly, and I know that it creates an exothermic reaction while it's curing. If it's a large mass, like in my mixing cup, the heat can't dissipate and it sets quicker. For that reason I mixed it in smaller batches and put it on the surfaces in a thin layer so it would be less affected by the mass heating. I got it all out before I had any further gelling in the pot. It was definitely quite warm as I was setting up the bracing, and after 30 minutes it was stuck hard!

Today after returning from a trip to retrieve more epoxy I had enough time to mix up some of the new batch and attach the filon panel that is behind the generator compartment. I used the 105 resin, 206 slow cure hardener, and the colloidal silica thickener additive. It definitely had a little more open time, which will be critical with the large panel tomorrow. I was hustling with the G-Flex, with the standard 105 resin I felt less rushed. It's been on there for about 5 hours now and it has definitely gotten to the tail end of the gel stage. It'll be good and set in the AM. I am going to use a thickened mix as a fairing compound at the bottom of the panel where it meets the plastic trim. It's a little rough on the edges and I feel I can dress it up pretty good. Eventually I intend to paint the whole rig.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #66

Whew!

That was a lot of work! I finished prepping the upper filon panel this morning and got set up for the epoxy. I had just set the cans out and was preparing to mix the first batch when the neighbor came over to see if I could repair a door for him. He's a talker so a good 25 minutes passed before I convinced him I needed to get back to work.

Just as he was leaving the sky opened up and down came the rain. There was no forecast for rain according to the radio, and it had been blue skies to that moment. I am not under complete shelter so I really couldn't wet out the panels until the shower passed. Turns out that the delay had saved me some scrambling otherwise.

Once the rain passed, I then had a very damp filon panel to work with. I dried it as much as possible and then took the blower to it until I had it dry again. It ended up being 4:45 before I got started. The area where the panel is still stuck fast is pretty tight to work in. I was shoving a small chip brush in the crack to wet it out and holding the filon out as much as possible with the mixing pail. It took a good 45 minutes to wet out all the luan and filon. I then mixed a thickened batch and went over everything with a thick coat. This is still considered a primary bond as the thinned wet coat is not cured when the thickened epoxy is applied.

The panel is big and unwieldy, and it was slightly deformed from being in its state of sag for so long. it really took some finagling to get it into place. I would clamp one spot only to have it kick out in another spot. This would have definitely been easier with two people. Unfortunately, the DW was doing a project away from home, and the neighbor who was over before isn't really one to get his hands dirty.

Nonetheless, I did manage to get the panel laid out and clamped/wedged. I believe it's all flat to the luan, and I hope it all connected in plenty of time for good adhesion all over. I did have a couple trouble areas where there was some torque in the panel; I ended up putting in a couple screws to pull those down flat. I will just pull them and fill them with some thickened epoxy tomorrow once its set.

Got my fingers crossed that it comes out good. I will know in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-09-21 21.54.21.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	220024   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-21 22.35.54.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	220025  

Old 09-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #67

Looking good...before you knowit you'll ne done and looking gor the next job....

ďGood judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.Ē93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #68

So, during coffee this morning I went out and pulled the braces off the upper filon panel; I was anxious to see how it turned out. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about the last couple bottom sections I got to as the upper bracing was challenging to straighten the long warped panel flat to the luan. The bottom section was the last to be compressed and it took a while.

When I got all the bracing down, to little surprise I found 3 spots that weren't properly adhered. I had a honey-do list to take care of for a couple hours, then I ran into town to TSC and picked up some 60 ml syringes and 16 gauge needles, along with a bit of 1/4" tubing. From inside the RV I carefully drilled 1/2" holes in the luan behind the areas that were not stuck. I then inserted the tube into the center hole, and another section under the edge of the filon outside. One of the areas was behind where I had already laminated the inside foam to the luan so I drilled a small hole in the fiberglass and used the 16 gauge needle to inject the epoxy from the outside. Once I filled that spot, I placed a piece of painters tape over the hole before I braced it. Once I am done with all the delamination repair I will go back with a thickened batch for a fairing compound to take care of the holes and imperfections.

Other than those spots, the filon laid out really nicely. lt is definitely stuck fast, I would say likely a stronger bond than the factory.

There is a much smaller area on the other side to repair before I tackle the roof. For some reason I decided to start with the hard side first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-09-22 19.42.07.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	220146  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #69

Success!

Again with my morning coffee, I went out and pulled the bracing where I had injected the epoxy last night. Everything was stuck well! I found one small spot I didn't catch yesterday, but it will be an easy fix. I am going to do that in a few minutes, so I can pull the brace this afternoon.

I have a much smaller area (a tenth of the size of the repair I just completed) on the opposite side of the rig. I am going to dismantle that today after injecting the epoxy in the little spot I missed. I would love to have it setup to epoxy tonight, but depending on what I find when I peel back the filon, that may be a bit ambitious. I am just really ready to tackle some other items to get this thing ready for the road in a few weeks.

I pulled the trigger on a set of new tires yesterday. They'll be here on Tuesday, and there's no way I can drive it to a tire shop for the replacement; so I have to jack this thing up and pull the wheels. I waited until I got a successful result on the wall before opening the purse strings for new tires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-09-23 10.07.00.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	220182  
Old 09-23-2018, 11:32 PM   #70

Subscribed. Good job so far. Itís a lot of work getting rid of delamination.

Tcounty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complete renovation, georgie boy, restoration, vintage remodel