RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #99

Whew! Finally!

Today was FINALLY the day! My motorhome now has a waterproof roof! After some final touches on the prep work, the Liquid Roof EPDM coating is no longer in the cans; it's on the roof where it belongs.

I grossly underestimated the prep work it took to get the old aluminum roof to a condition where I felt comfortable putting on the liquefied EPDM.

There were pinholes in several areas where the rotting luan oxidized the aluminum. I cleaned up the inside prior to the repairs inside, and after all the scraping, grinding, and chemical strippers I put fiber tape over all these areas. I removed a couple unnecessary things penetrating the roof like an old fiberglass CB antenna, and an air horn, and there were a couple places where other things had been removed and patched previously. After cleaning up all the detritus I went over everything with denatured alcohol. I used Eternabond tape on all the seams, including running the entire length of the motorhome lapping the corner seam all the way into the gutter. After installing the Eternabond it had to be prepped for the Liquid Roof by a sanding with 120 grit, followed by a good rub with a green scrubbie, then a coat of contact cement.

I installed the skylight and two Maxxair vent fans using butyl mastic tape under the flanges. I opted to use some 1/4" metal roofing screws I had instead of the really cheap looking philips head that came with the units. They have a neoprene gasket and a washer that not only seals the hole from the top, but combined with the washer, it certainly puts less point stress on the plastic flange. I put fiber tape around the skylight flange to act as a decoupling material for the liquid EPDM to bite.

The sun was once again brutally hot today, but I am grateful for the few days of dry weather to get this done. It really took a lot out of me, I'm pretty beat.

The photo of the finished product is just after I laid the last bit down it definitely levels pretty well. I know the hot aluminum made the 1st gallon that I brushed on around all the seams and protrusions kick faster than the prescribed 4 hours, I got some pulled material as I was laying the roller coat. You definitely have to drag the stuff around. It definitely burned my feet, after I got the cut in done I went and got on a pair of wool socks and put my regular socks over those! Ithink that was for sure the first time I have worn my thick wool socks when it's in the 90s!

I will post an updated picture in the morning of how it turned out. I know there are a couple runs, but I feel confident it's sealed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-05 20.28.48.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	221569   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-05 20.29.52.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	221570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_182035.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	221571  

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #100

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looks great Brob
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Today was FINALLY the day! My motorhome now has a waterproof roof! After some final touches on the prep work, the Liquid Roof EPDM coating is no longer in the cans; it's on the roof where it belongs.

I grossly underestimated the prep work it took to get the old aluminum roof to a condition where I felt comfortable putting on the liquefied EPDM.

There were pinholes in several areas where the rotting luan oxidized the aluminum. I cleaned up the inside prior to the repairs inside, and after all the scraping, grinding, and chemical strippers I put fiber tape over all these areas. I removed a couple unnecessary things penetrating the roof like an old fiberglass CB antenna, and an air horn, and there were a couple places where other things had been removed and patched previously. After cleaning up all the detritus I went over everything with denatured alcohol. I used Eternabond tape on all the seams, including running the entire length of the motorhome lapping the corner seam all the way into the gutter. After installing the Eternabond it had to be prepped for the Liquid Roof by a sanding with 120 grit, followed by a good rub with a green scrubbie, then a coat of contact cement.

I installed the skylight and two Maxxair vent fans using butyl mastic tape under the flanges. I opted to use some 1/4" metal roofing screws I had instead of the really cheap looking philips head that came with the units. They have a neoprene gasket and a washer that not only seals the hole from the top, but combined with the washer, it certainly puts less point stress on the plastic flange. I put fiber tape around the skylight flange to act as a decoupling material for the liquid EPDM to bite.

The sun was once again brutally hot today, but I am grateful for the few days of dry weather to get this done. It really took a lot out of me, I'm pretty beat.

The photo of the finished product is just after I laid the last bit down it definitely levels pretty well. I know the hot aluminum made the 1st gallon that I brushed on around all the seams and protrusions kick faster than the prescribed 4 hours, I got some pulled material as I was laying the roller coat. You definitely have to drag the stuff around. It definitely burned my feet, after I got the cut in done I went and got on a pair of wool socks and put my regular socks over those! Ithink that was for sure the first time I have worn my thick wool socks when it's in the 90s!

I will post an updated picture in the morning of how it turned out. I know there are a couple runs, but I feel confident it's sealed up.

Awww hell, you just motivated me to do this. Unfortunately/thankfully, it's starting to get chilly up here in the Great White Pacific Northwest, so it's on my list of things to do in Spring.

So now we need a consolidated list of materials you used to strip the roof and apply the new EPDM, and where you bought them.

Looks awesome, I'm grinning ear to ear at that last pic.
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #102

Wow looks great, just wondering why you did not use a membrane vs liquid membrane? No reglets down the sides? Nice to know she is water tight! Its a great feeling!
southwind96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwind96 View Post
Wow looks great, just wondering why you did not use a membrane vs liquid membrane? No reglets down the sides? Nice to know she is water tight! Its a great feeling!
I thought I had replied to this earlier, but it's not showing up. I decided on the liquid coating as it is an aluminum roof I was going over. I figured it would be a good base for adhesion of the two-part EPDM and I wouldn't have to worry about delamination of the membrane. I have seen several "baloons" on the roofs of RVS going down the road after the adhesive had let go.

I have had this product on the roof for about 9 months now and it's holding up nicely.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #104

FIRE!

I wanted to update this thread as it has been a long time since the last post. Since finishing the roof last year in October, I reinstalled the A/C units, got the subfloor installed, built a base for the Queen bed, and got a memory foam mattress from Amazon. The mattress came in a box MUCH smaller than I expected. It's vacuum packed into a bag, once it was rolled out it "grew" to the size of a 10" thick queen bed. I installed the ceiling panels in the bedroom area and put in 2 recessed LED lights on a dimmer switch. I got the Norcold fridge up and running (the PO had it wired incorrectly), and wired in the new maxxair roof vents.

I drove it about an hour to Spirit of Suwannee Music Park on the first of October. I am Operations Manager for Spirit Lake at a large music festival there; I am typically on site for over a month. Having a quiet, cool place to retreat is essential.

Long story short, I made it there with fairly little incident; the trailer I was towing blew a tire a mile from the exit. As I arrived at the site, the 454 was running rough at idle, but ran as long as I feathered the throttle.

The motor home was a comfortable place to sleep with the new mattress, additional insulation, A/C and cold fridge. It was home for 33 days of long hours.

On the way home, I had not yet tracked down the reason for the rough idle; as the "first one in, last one out" I was ready to be home. I figured I would get home, rest for a week, then take it from there. As long as I was moving, it ran pretty well, whenever I came to a stop I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. I made it about half way when it backfired at a traffic light and died. That's when the smoke started rolling out of the front end! I pulled the doghouse cover and flames rolled out! I emptied the fire extinguisher and still had flames, so I grabbed a pile of wet clothes from the previous nights thunderstorm and attempted to smother the flames. I managed to get the flames stopped, but the clothes were still smoldering when the fire department arrived. There was a LOT of smoke inside the motor home.
Though I asked them to please not hose it down with water, they did anyway, stating it was their job to ensure there was no potential hazard. They asked how long I had owned the rig and wanted to know if I was aware of the pile of clothes on the engine; they thought at first that is what caused the fire. I had to pay a tow truck $100 to literally tow it 150 yards to get it out of the road. I returned the following day with a friend, a logging chain, and my F-250; we towed the beast the remaining 30 miles to my home.

In the ensuing months, life kept happening and I have had very little time to work on it. We have used it on several occasions for guests, but I am just now gearing up to get back into the project.

As it turns out, I believe the rough idling was the result of a leak in the fuel line to the carburetor and it was leaking onto the intake manifold; hence the reason it was so difficult to extinguish. It melted all the wiring and rubber lines on top of the engine. It turns over fine, so I am hoping there's nothing seriously wrong with the engine. I am going to rebuild the carburetor and redo all the lines and wires soon. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #105

sorry to hear about your fire...hope there is not to much damage there! I was wondering why I did not get a response on the roofing, now I understand with an aluminum roof why would you do a membrane...my only issue besides finishing up is the critter that is boring its way into my rigid insulation...i find these little piles of blue shavings and thought the winter would take care of it but nope...so i recently set off a bug bomb, we shall see!
southwind96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #106

There was not interior damage to the coach. The top of the engine looks pretty nasty with charred rubber and the contents of 2 fire extinguishers. The wiring will be a little bit of a challenge, and the vacuum hoses will take a bit of figuring; but hopefully it isn't too bad.

Hope you are able to rid your rig of unwelcome guests!
Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwind96 View Post
my only issue besides finishing up is the critter that is boring its way into my rigid insulation...i find these little piles of blue shavings and thought the winter would take care of it but nope...so i recently set off a bug bomb, we shall see!
So how is your project coming along besides the uninvited guests?
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #108

This guy must be nuts!

I just read back through this whole thread, and as I was doing so I thought "this guy must be nuts!" taking on such a project! Then I remembered I am the guy!
These forums are great as there were a couple things I did that I was only reminded of as I was reading through.

It's been a year since I was doing the delamination procedures and the liquid roof. The weather is about the same as last year, hot wet blanket... I am again preparing for the music festival, and in addition, moving to another property! We began removing the last bit of cabinetry in the motor home and will be taking all the stuff we saved to our new property over the next couple of weeks. This year, because of the relocation, we'll be able to use our 38' travel trailer as home base for the month of time I will be on site at the festival grounds. This takes the pressure off the motor home project, though I do hope to pull the carburetor and rebuild it so I can drive it to our new home base.

I scored a really nice couch with a metal frame, the bottom and back both flip to make a bed. I plan to make a bracket that allows me to bolt it to the floor of the rig securely. Because it has no armrests, it makes a bed that even someone who is tall like my 6'4" self can lay upon comfortably. It's also a space saving design that will take up less space than the factory torture-seat it will replace. The frame is sturdy enough that when bolted down, I feel comfortable with using as a travel seat in combination with the seat belts. As we rebuild the interior, I plan on building cabinetry that will maximize storage and open up the floor space a bit. I found so much wasted space as I ripped out the old stuff. In addition, there were 2 gas furnaces in the coach. With the additional insulation in the ceiling and on the walls, I feel pretty confident that one furnace will be adequate. I plan on building ductwork from insulation board inside the cabinetry which will be less intrusive than the mess of flex that was there previously.

Tags
complete renovation, georgie boy, restoration, vintage remodel