RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

87 Georgie Boy Complete Restoration and Makeover

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 36' Class A with a tag axle. It sits on a Chevrolet P30 chassis with a 454 and hydramatic transmission.

30 years ago it was top of the line with all the bells and whistles. Automatic hydraulic leveling system, dual a/c units, Onan 6.5kw genny, driver's door, backup camera, spotlight, tag axle, and the list goes on. It is most all in working order, but due to years of neglect and quite frankly 80s decor, the coach is in need of a complete renovation.

I bought this motorhome for $1400 and had to invest $40 in brake lines and fluid to drive it home. The 454 was running well but I was struggling to go more than 50 as I first began the 45 minute journey home. After a stop at the gas station and 15 gallons of fresh gasoline, the motor began to gain power, and within a mile or two was running like a top. The coach has some pretty serious delamination in the rear from a leaking roof; I have read up on all the nightmares of filon delamination and honestly wanted to try my hand at the repair. I figure if I can successfully do this repair then there are a ton of motorcoaches out there that I can pick up for super cheap and repair and resell. Plus I will always have a rig in which to load up the family and hit the road. I figured that if it turns out that I am unable to do the repairs, the running generator and 454 would more than cover my upfront investment. In reality though, I feel confident that I can do the work, make a nice updated coach, and possibly find a new interesting source of income.

I will be uploading pictures of the process to share my successes and failures, hopefully I can share what I learn with others who are attempting similar repairs.

To date I have removed the rear A/C unit and ceiling and walls of the bedroom, where the majority of the water damage is. The Luan is like paper and of course separated from its substrate. I will be using the West System g/flex epoxy for the wood to filon and aluminum bonds and a moisture activated polyurethane adhesive to bond the polystyrene to the luan (based on the advice of a SIPS manufacturer I frequently use). The coach has an aluminum frame, so that is intact, and the roof material is sheet aluminum. I will be adding more insulation throughout, and using the additional insulation in the ceiling to give the flat roof a slight pitch.

I also plan on installing solar on the coach, and I will experiment with using the solar energy to improve the fuel economy of the motorhome through electrolysis. I figure another mile or three per gallon would be welcome and the lack of all the modern computer systems will more readily facilitate this.

I am looking forward to seeing how this process goes. I am a general contractor and I am looking for a new way to put my skills to work. The idea of really making these dated homes modern and functional holds appeal to me.

I will setup a photo hosting account and upload photos soon.

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Congrats on the new rig. Excited to follow along!
Image already added

Old 05-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #3

Should be a fun project, I did the same with an 89 Komfort with the p30 and 454. It is easy to spend more than the coach is worth so you gave to plan on driving the value out. I have been driving mine for 17 years and I have a total of $20k in it. I have put 120 miles on it so far.
jlathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Here are some pictures of the day I picked up the 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #5

I hear you on how easy it is to spend more than its value. With the structural renovations I know I am going to be hard pressed to maintain the budget. I am interested to see how the delamination repair goes; if I can successfully do this, I believe I can find some good deals here in Florida. Lots of snowbirds leave behind their rig, intending to return, and for whatever reason don't; their rigs sit sometimes for years, until a family member comes into responsibility and puts it on Craigslist.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #6

Old 05-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

I seem to be having trouble getting photos on here. I started a flickr account but it doesn't seem to be opening the link.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #8

I have completely gutted the bedroom and bathroom, removed all the foam, ceiling joists, and luan from the ceiling and went over the inside of the aluminum roof with a wire brush attachment on a drill. I have ground off all the rusted screws from inside and patched some of the oxidized spots with eternabond in addition to the rear cap and roof joint taped with eternabond from the inside. I will setup my jigs tomorrow to get ready for the re-lamination process of the aluminum to luan. I haven't yet decided if I will be attempting the foam to luan joining at the same time or not. I believe I will be using the foam sheets to help distribute the pressure more evenly on the luan, but I don't know how much time I will have to work with the polyurethane adhesive.

I will also try to figure out the picture hosting...
Old 05-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #9

Old 05-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #10

Still attempting to post pictures.

So far I have uploaded photos to flickr, Google photos, and photobucket. The only time I saw any of the photos show up on the thread was when I pasted the photobucket link. I saw the pic briefly, then received the message that photobucket no longer works with this site. What is the best site to put photos on a thread?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #11

Maybe???

Well, it looks as if this photo upload is going to work. I have been attempting to upload from my phone and I guess that just doesn't work. This is a picture of the rig the day I went to pick her up. I will upload more before and progress pics as I am able.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Here's the passenger side on the first day of ownership.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #13

A few shots of the rough interior in it's 80s "Disco Pirate" motif. This is all changing now!

Since this photo was taken, the bedroom has been completely stripped to bare aluminum on the ceiling and down to the aluminum frame on the walls. Today I begin re-laminating the ceiling.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #14

Here are some shots of the delamination on both rear quarters. I have this stripped back to the filon and will be using West Systems G/flex epoxy to get it back solid and flat. I wanted to attempt the re-lamination process as there are lots of rigs out there going for pennies on the dollar due to delamination. If I can satisfactorily fix this, I am going to purchase a few rigs to fix up.

Tags
complete renovation, georgie boy, restoration, vintage remodel