Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

87 Itasca 454 Fan Clutch

The fan clutch on this coach was replaced shortly before I bought it last year. It has had a mind of its own as far as operation as it comes on sometimes at 140' or 195', or anywhere in-between.
The radiator was flushed out in place and cleaned externally also. Replaced the thermostat with a 180' unit but not much has changed the operation.
There are also 2 electric fans on the lower half of the radiator that I have controled by a switch now and even when these are on it makes no difference in fan clutch operation.

I have had issues on other vehicles with aftermarket fan clutches so suspect this is what was installed on this engine.

Sure makes a difference in power and fuel economy when the clutch is engaged!

Has anyone found an aftermarket fan clutch that operates as it is supposed to?

I am going to check with the dealer about an original equipment clutch as these have worked well for me in the past.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
leadman, years ago I bought one for a 454 engine at autozone. Worked for about 2 years and I took it back and they replaced it for free. After that every two years I got another until I sold the rig. Life time warranty gotta love it.

Mike

Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a "Star auto parts" store in your area that is where to find a good one....
I didn't want to purchase from them since they are not as well known but took the chance and it turned out to be a good one....
They also had the upper & lower radiator hoses.

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #4

We do have a Star, my old job bought most of their parts from them and I can still get a discount. They sell alot of Delco parts which are mostly OE equivalent. I have to locate the part number first but will probably get the ckutch thru them.
Found out today that one of the mufflers has loose baffles inside so am going to search here for the aftermarket muffler I think Jim mentioned.
One thing after another!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
We do have a Star, my old job bought most of their parts from them and I can still get a discount. They sell alot of Delco parts which are mostly OE equivalent. I have to locate the part number first but will probably get the ckutch thru them.
Found out today that one of the mufflers has loose baffles inside so am going to search here for the aftermarket muffler I think Jim mentioned.
One thing after another!
I just took the old one down to them and ordered up the RV extra "Tuff" duty, The one thing that is really liked about the clutch is at idle the fan kinda kicks in cooling rather well and within 10 or so seconds it kicks out when I start to move UNLESS my temps are above 200.

In the 7 or so years it's been in I have NO problems and since I live near Indio our temps are about the same all year....

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #6

Money is pretty tight right now and a Delco or OE fan clutch is $180.00. I ordered an Auto Zone severe duty clutch for $60.00. As one muffler has loose baffles that needed replacing too. I ordered 2 glasspacks for half the cost of one muffler. Also got 2 chrome tips that turn down to direct the noise down and away.

I would rather have gone with an OE clutch and a quiet muffler but bing on a fixed income I spent less than what the OE clutch would have cost.

The exhaust note will remind me of my '69 Dart 340 Swinger I bought after I graduated frm high school.LOL
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #7

We have been on the road now for a week and the AutoZone severe I can get it replaced.
Really wasn't too hard to replace. Removed the upper smog pump and the bracket by the alternator and had just enough room to work and get it out and in.