Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

Ok, so I traded our beautiful 95 5th for this 88 Bounder class A. The owner's said everything was working fine and demonstrated it all, so I trusted them. Mistake. This thing is a mess. It was so well taken care of on the interior, but it's giving us nothing put problems. I do like it though, it has a lot of personality so we want to keep working on it until we can enjoy it.

I'm new to motor part. It's a 454 chevy, it has a choke start. We've been having problems with starts since we got it. Some days it just does not want to start right, but we can usually get it to run. Yesterday it started right up when I pulled out the choke and turned the key. It runs really rough at first, and I have to keep the choke open for quite some time and I have to keep pressing on the gas or it will stall out.., it does this for 5-15 minutes. After I drive it for someone it seems to run fine, no stalling in traffic or anything. So I figured it was just part of it's older personality.

Yesterday it started just as described above; but this morning it started up, but stalled out after about 1.5 minutes, even when I pressed the gas. I tried to start it again to no avail. It cranks and cranks and sputters and comes oh so close that you just know it's going to start at any moment, but it's just teasing.

About 5 minutes later it did start, but I had to really keep on the gas and then it stalled out again.., even while pressing on the gas.

Then, it would not start.

It smelled like gas I figured I flooded it, so we moved on to the electric steps (that don't work) to try to give it a rest.

2 hours later.., steps work (just a blown fuse).., but it still won't start. Cranks and cranks but won't turn over. We are SO not mechanics, but really can't afford the thousands of dollars in work this lovely beast needs. I do have a repair manual the last owner left and a handsome husband who is quick to learn and willing to try. 1) thank you for reading all of this 2) where should we even start? Please help!

Also, the generator won't start right either, same thing, it was running hard at starts, sputtering and black smoke.., and we had to crank up the throttle, now to doesn't work at all, won't turn over) can they be connected? Batteries were a little low (11.6), but only after all that cranking. It's on a charger now.
RvFairyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

Ok, so I traded our beautiful 95 5th for this 88 Bounder class A. The owner's said everything was working fine and demonstrated it all, so I trusted them. Mistake. This thing is a mess. It was so well taken care of on the interior, but it's giving us nothing put problems. I do like it though, it has a lot of personality so we want to keep working on it until we can enjoy it.

I'm new to motor part. It's a 454 chevy, it has a choke start. We've been having problems with starts since we got it. Some days it just does not want to start right, but we can usually get it to run. Yesterday it started right up when I pulled out the choke and turned the key. It runs really rough at first, and I have to keep the choke open for quite some time and I have to keep pressing on the gas or it will stall out.., it does this for 5-15 minutes. After I drive it for someone it seems to run fine, no stalling in traffic or anything. So I figured it was just part of it's older personality.

Yesterday it started just as described above; but this morning it started up, but stalled out after about 1.5 minutes, even when I pressed the gas. I tried to start it again to no avail. It cranks and cranks and sputters and comes oh so close that you just know it's going to start at any moment, but it's just teasing.

About 5 minutes later it did start, but I had to really keep on the gas and then it stalled out again.., even while pressing on the gas.

Then, it would not start.

It smelled like gas I figured I flooded it, so we moved on to the electric steps (that don't work) to try to give it a rest.

2 hours later.., steps work (just a blown fuse).., but it still won't start. Cranks and cranks but won't turn over. We are SO not mechanics, but really can't afford the thousands of dollars in work this lovely beast needs. I do have a repair manual the last owner left and a handsome husband who is quick to learn and willing to try. 1) thank you for reading all of this 2) where should we even start? Please help!

Also, the generator won't start right either, same thing, it was running hard at starts, sputtering and black smoke.., and we had to crank up the throttle, now to doesn't work at all, won't turn over) can they be connected? Batteries were a little low (11.6), but only after all that cranking. It's on a charger now.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Two things I would check, I don't know what the gas gage says but I would check the tank to make sure it actually has gas. That could be the main issue as you say the Generator won't start up, Another thing I would see is if the gas smells like fresh gas or Old gas, It smells different. Old gas can turn into a shellac over time and could be why you are having issues. Another thing to check is the fuel filters!! They can get stopped up with rust from an old tank that was ...empty! If it has a electric fuel pump, It could be stopped up or not putting out enough pressure to the carb. I would start with the fuel filters and try new gas in it. I used high test and two cans of fuel system cleaner in my tank when I started it up last summer.It was a 5 gallon mix. After that was going to the carb. I ran it and it started to clean up I also sprayed carb cleaner right into the vent for the float bowl. That helped to get any old gas out. Then after that was running good I added another 5 gallons and two more cans of fuel system cleaner and using fuel system cleaner into the float bowl,of the generator. It started right up and has run perfectly since!. I filled it up with reguler gas and put Stable gas treatment in it to help keep the gas new! I wonder how long that coach has sit??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

First of all, thank you for response, good ideas. Helps us to problem solve.

I just dropped $270 dollars of gas in it, (OUCH), and have since gone about 2 miles, so I have to hope that old or low gas is not the problem. If there was some old gas left in it, would that be a problem?

The old owner drove it about 80 miles to get it to me, but I don't know how long it sat before that.

We looked at the carb.., gas was streaming in when I hit the pedal.., choke seemed to be working too.., carberator is newer "perfomace" part.., they must have changed it out at some point.., fuel filter looked good. But I didn't check on generator.., genset may have been sitting without use for a long time and I know that's bad.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Ok, I would think it was fuel filters that could be the issue causing the engine to not run correctly. As to the generator, First try ands get some carburetor cleaner, Spray it into tehintake of the generator while cranking it. If it trys to start then you have a gummed up carb. Most likely need to put a kit in it. If it don't want to try to start with the carb cleaner, There could be any number of issues wrong with it. A fuel filter or coil pack or Points The wiring itself, or ??? I will be around tonight for a while on and off. Check back later, Dan
Old 04-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #6

Hi Dan.

Ok, it's back to the workweek for me. I'm going to take it in next week for a tune up (if I can get it there).., I thought about that old gas thing and thought the sparks might be not firing right if old gas messed them up.

I'm hoping that the engine will work better once we do that.

If not, at least they might give me some ideas as to where to start without charging me too much.

We are pretty good at figuring out how to do things.., just not WHAT to do! Diagnostics cost around $100, so I figure I might as well pay for a tune up instead.., I'm sure it needs one anyway.

I'm going to try the fluid in the generator carb like you suggested, and maybe an oil change and a fuel filter change.

I'll get back on after I do that..,

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
No worrys!! Check in later, Dan
Old 04-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #8

Manual choke gets pulled out completely for cold starts and then gets gradually pushed in until the motor warms up. It is several minutes of adjustment and eventually you will learn the signs of when you have too much and not enough choke. Rumbling and black smoke is too much choke while low power and stalling without the black smoke is usually not enough choke.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
More and More i am thinking about fuel filters a s you filled your tank and if it was low or almost empty that would allow all teh rust and dirt to mix with the fuel. Before i did anything, I would change all the filters and run that baby!!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #10

RFVfairlady,

We have a real nice 86 Holiday Rambler with 454. It always starts on first crank. However, it has been blowing "black smoke" and had a slight gas leak and the warmup choke would stay half open (or closed). I took RV to a good mechanic who rebuilt the 4 barrel carb (not many mechanics around now that can deal with a carburator). Anyway, it is perfect now, no black smoke, smooth idle. The cost was $670.

On the generator (genset I): I fussed with ours for several weeks; then took it to an onan mechanic. He replaced the electronic board and carburator....runs perfect. The mechanic said the old gensets are much better than newer units.

These old RVs will need repairs from time to time. A little money spent now will put your mind at ease.

HEMI
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a '86 HR, 454 for eight years. Mine had an automatic choke. I had a fuel pump problem and replaced it with a new one. Cost was about $40-- I put it on. I took off all the smog crap,and threw the parts away. I then put on the Banks exhaust system-- great upgrade. My state didn't start emissions testing until '02, and that didn't apply to older rigs anyway. I had my carb overhauled and jazzed up by a performance company on the West Coast. Stock cars (race cars) still use Carbs-- do a search on the internet.

Good luck,