Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
'88 Itasca Fuel Pressure Regulator

There was another long thread concerning the identification of a fuel pressure regulator in a picture. I had to replace this on my rig last week so thought I would post a new thread with what I found out.

My regulator was located in the oblong frame cut-out behind the R/R set of duals and behind the generator. There was a fresh staining of the paint on the frame rail that caught my eye so ran the engine, but could not find a leak. I then drove the rig aways and then crawled under and there was the leak.
This regulator has an adjusting screw and locknut visible from the outside of the frame rail. There is a vent hole in the body of the valve right at the outer edge of the locknut and this is where the gas was coming from. The rubber diaphram must have a hole in it. The hole is to allow air to vent when the rubber diaphram moves, do not plug it.

GM no longer supplies the valve so after researching this valve I found a replacement at Pep Boys for less than $40. A local speed shop should also have it.
The Regulator is a Holley #12-804, 1-4 psi.
This valve has ports for two outlet fuel lines so you will also need a 3/8" pipe plug to seal one port.

This regulator drops the pressure from the electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank so it is necessary. There is a mechanical fuel pump on the engine also.

Wasn't the easiest job as there is very little room to work between the frame rail and the fuel tank. Once you break the line from the tank loose you can take the bolt in the regulator mounting bracket out of the frame and pull the reg. out of the frame a little ways.

We went on a short trip after I installed this and hit a couple of steep grades and the engine ran just fine with the new regulator installed.

leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
I thought I would try to post a couple of pictures of the fuel regulator.

The first pic shows the vent hole, the second as it would be seen mounted in the frame, the third is a side view with the Holley name on the OE part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel regulator 006.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	18875   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel regulator 007.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	18876  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel regulator 008.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	18877  

Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Great photos, thanks for sharing. One question, how does it attach to the frame? It looks like there are two bolt holes on the bottom, is that correct? If so, the bolts go through the frame and into the regulator?

Thanks again

rnrphoto98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
There is a bracket that holds the regulator to the frame. A little tight changing it but with patience it can be done.
If you have to replace one check the fuel hoses as you may also want to replace them. One hose comes from the tank to the regulator and is a braided hose with swivel fittings on the regulator end. I left this alone as the tank would probably have to be lowered and it looked good. The other hoses are typical rubber with hose clamps. You may want to pick up a couple clamps also.

fuel, itasca