Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

89 Chieftain brake, and vacuum

89 chieftain 454 brake booster vacuum line attach point.

Is there a place to attach a vacuum line to the brake system?
I can't find the usual can in front of the brake fluid reservoir, nor any place for a vacuum line to go.
Also not finding any vacuum lines going to the brake system
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You mention a 1989 chassis, with a 454. That points to a Chevy P30 chassis, which has a vacuum operated brake booster. The booster isn't a 'can' but an almost 11" in diameter rounded dome tank mounted between the firewall and the master cylinder. It has a large vacuum hose running from the intake manifold to the booster. Often any vacuum controlled devices are powered off a secondary line, it's not usually a good idea to branch off the brake booster vacuum line for safety reasons.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You mention a 1989 chassis, with a 454. That points to a Chevy P30 chassis, which has a vacuum operated brake booster. The booster isn't a 'can' but an almost 11" in diameter rounded dome tank mounted between the firewall and the master cylinder. It has a large vacuum hose running from the intake manifold to the booster. Often any vacuum controlled devices are powered off a secondary line, it's not usually a good idea to branch off the brake booster vacuum line for safety reasons.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #4

I have a 85 with a 454 on a P 30 chassis and it has a Hydro-Boost it utilizes hydraulic pressure supplied from the power steering pump. It does not use a vacuum booster. Maybe this is what you have.
ijds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 PM   #5

Yep, I found the hydraulic lines coming in from the power steering pump,
Thank You for responding.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Fred from Ga Send a message via MSN to Fred from Ga Send a message via Yahoo to Fred from Ga
Can I jump in and hijack the subject for a sec. What about a 1988 HR 35' 460 Ford gas brake booster? I had 3/4 or normal pedal last year but haven't been out except once this year and found I have brakes but the pedal goes way down. Stops ok but not enough pedal for me. Manual says something about a whirling sound when you turn the key on. I have heard it before but don't hear it now. Electric booster???????? Thanks for any help.
Fred from Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred from Ga View Post
Can I jump in and hijack the subject for a sec. What about a 1988 HR 35' 460 Ford gas brake booster? I had 3/4 or normal pedal last year but haven't been out except once this year and found I have brakes but the pedal goes way down. Stops ok but not enough pedal for me. Manual says something about a whirling sound when you turn the key on. I have heard it before but don't hear it now. Electric booster???????? Thanks for any help.
I'm not sure as to what type of Hydroboost system you have. Go figure, I thought you were talking about a vacuum assist system at first. Some HB use the power steering pump for the hydraulic power, storing some pressurized fluid in an accumulator to provide up to 3 braking efforts when engine stops. Other systems use an electric pump and reservoir for the hydraulic pressure. To test if your system is working, Try this:

"Basic function can be checked by pumping the brake pedal until hard with the engine off and then starting the engine while maintaining slight pedal pressure. Proper operation should result in the brake pedal sinking down and then pushing back up against your foot. The sinking of the pedal when the engine was started is a result of the power chamber being pressurized. Once the power steering system is at full pressure, it results in the pedal pushing back against your foot pressure."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #8

Chevy P30 Chassis
Every P30 chassis I have seen from 84 up either had a Hydroboost brake system with either JB8 (front disk/Rear Drum) or JF9 (Front/Rear Disk) configuration. I have not seen the JB7 (Front disk / Rear drum) with vacuum booster system on a motorhome chassis

87-90 John Deere RV1000 or RV1200 chassis with Ford 460CI engine
Uses a Hydro-Max system. Similar to a P30 Hydroboost except it uses the electric hydraulic pump vice the Power steering pump
http://www.cdr-roc.com/89JD/89-JD-Chassis-manual.pdf
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Fred from Ga Send a message via MSN to Fred from Ga Send a message via Yahoo to Fred from Ga
Dave78Chief you are correct. Thanks. Talked to a repair shop, auto and trucks, and he knew about the system. Said he had seen several over the years with this system and problem. Thinks it's the relay. Will soon find out, taking it to him for repair. Will post results. Again thanks to all of you for input.
Fred from Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake