Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

90 Holiday Rambler Imperial Help Needed

So, new member here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was hoping someone on here could help me or point me in a certain direction because I've reached the point of desperation here. In my old 90 Holiday Rambler Imperial 35 fter, I have the monitor panel above the entry door with the battery disconnect option. Currently, one half of the panel works (battery disconnect switches and voltmeters). Unfortunately, the other half (water heater switch, water pump switch, and tank level indicators) is not working at all. The switches do not work and the momentary level indicators don't work either.

It almost seems like there is a short somewhere since it was working perfectly one day, and the next, it wasn't. However, I'm not even sure where to begin looking or how to approach fixing it since I don't have a wiring diagram and my attempts to trace wires has proved fruitless. Further, I just tried to fire up my furnace yesterday and that is no longer working either (which may or may not be related). I should mention that everything else in the 12V system works (lights).

Does anyone here have any experience with these?

Thanks everyone!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #2

Sorry you're here with problems.
Have you found and tested all the fuses? With a test light or voltmeter; visual inspection is not a good test.
Is the battery voltage right up ? 12.3 volts or better ?
Some furnaces need full charge to operate.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

I did find the fuses and did a visual inspection which they all looked fine but you're right,I will physically test them tonight once I find my test light (rookie mistake!). The battery voltage is correct ~13.1V from my last reading.

And problems are inherent in a 25+ year old RV. That's what I love about them. Just when you think you're going to smoothly sail along....BAM! No more hot water! Where else can you pay so little for so many headaches? ;-)
Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Keep your sense of humor ; unfortunately you're going to need it.

When it comes to electrical problems and tracking them down; I'd rather be lucky that good ; so good luck.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Keep your sense of humor ; unfortunately you're going to need it.

When it comes to electrical problems and tracking them down; I'd rather be lucky that good ; so good luck.
Oh absolutely! I remember after I bought this rolling turd, I was removing the drug den compatible couch when my foot went through the floor under the window. Man, I laughed and laughed, cried, and laughed some more! Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up one day to find myself laying on the ground after the bed collapsed through the floor. I'd certainly have a good laugh as I pushed this epitome of 80s era engineering off a cliff.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #6

89 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite

Hi Imperial Camp,
I purchased an 89 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite in 2012... and gutted it... and learned quite bit in the process.

Here is a link to my RV website: On Shore

I had two water damage areas in the floor I had to fix. Took me a while to find the rain water leak path for one of them. Also had a ceiling leak underneith the new a/c unit in the back... the old A/C unit that was there wore a hole in the roof, and the new unit was hiding it.

I have kinda the same problem with the panel (minus the leveling I don't have) all the meters light up, but they are all wrong. My switches do work. I have been told to fix the black and grey tank sensors would be $$$ and they normally don't last long, and my propane tank has a meter directly on it... so I ain't fixing any of them. I did do a lot of tracing wires around the drivers area... not fun, lucky I had the patience tool in my tool bag. Oh, check the fuses in the drivers area and the ones in the middle floor cabinet.

I had to replace the computer board and igniter on both the hot water heater and the furnace. The biggest problem I had with the furnace was mud daubers (they build mud nests in the heater core) I had to pull the unit apart and wash the inside out several times to get rid of all of them. Now it works great.

I still have several projects to work on: replace front A/C unit with the a low profile unit, add Koni Shocks, continue to try to fix the cruise control, new refrigerator, repair/replace metal storage in back bumper, redo valances and re-upholster furniture.... oh and give it a new exterior paint job (like the new rigs)

Feel free to ask anything.
Erik
Old 01-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wish I could offer an easy solution for you. But I can't.

My only observation as a fellow owner of an older coach, is start checking and cleaning all of your electrical connections. Focus first on the ground connections. Find every single ground connection you can and take it apart and clean it. If in doubt add another ground. Shucks! Add two!

There are literally hundreds of electrical connections in each and every one of our coaches. Electrical connections are great - for the manufacturers. For the owners of older motor coaches - not so much.

WD40 is your friend. I have spent hours simply unplugging wires, spraying with WD40, reconnecting the wires. It's amazing how many problems are solved by simply unplugging, cleaning, and plugging wires.

I realize that by now I'm beginning to ramble. Please allow me this. Last year on our 5000 mile round trip to California, the cruise control quit working. I literally spent hours trying to solve this. Finally, in desperation I almost pressed the 'ORDER' button on the internet for a brand new cruise control unit. I hesitated and decided to look at things again. The first thing I did was find the power supply wire to the cruise. I unplugged it, looked at it. Sprayed WD40 on the connections. Plugged it back in. Voila! The cruise has worked properly ever since.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

I have to 2nd the notion of cleaning grounds and wire connections. Some of our electronic controls for things like the fridge, hot water tank, and air conditioners were malfunctioning intermittently when we bought our old RV... some of them were fixed by cleaning terminals and connectors as Jim stated.

I never could get the water tank level meters to work quite right.

-cheers
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. As far as the fuse boxes that aren't in the back next to the 120 fuse panel, I've been unable to locate them. So any insight on that would be greatly appreciated. I did however put a test light on all of the 12V fuses located in the rear of the vehicle and they're all fine.

I did manage to find a grainy wiring diagram for the entirety of the vehicle, which is only marginally helpful since minor details are too blurry to make out.

And yea, I know what everyone is saying with checking grounds and the like. I was hoping there would be an easy answer since it's incredibly cold out right now and checking all of the grounds located near the battery bank seems like a task best reserved for a Siberian Gulag, but I'll check them out since I'm getting desperate at this point.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had to give up on the tank gauges. I installed the See Level brand, and it has worked OK.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler