Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
'93 Dynasty Shakedown

I'm new to the self powered RV world and recently purchased the Monaco. I have a lot to learn and took next week off - vacation time to spend more time with it.

I started tonight with the H2O system. I did not regulate the water pressure from the house which is less than 70 PSI. So far:

Fresh water tank leaks.
Kitchen faucet drips but doesn't flow because..
Everpure filter is clogged.
Black and grey water tank valves leak.
Water heater is not heating but haven't ohmed element yet.

On the plus side, the toilet and bath faucet are functioning as they should. I see all of the above as small, enjoyable challenges as I am working on it at home.

One of the Grand-kids engaged the hazard flashers and it took me 10 minutes to find the switch.

I am looking forward to what I find next.

More to follow.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome. You will find many good ideas and invaluable help.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
I'm new to the self powered RV world and recently purchased the Monaco. I have a lot to learn and took next week off - vacation time to spend more time with it.

I started tonight with the H2O system. I did not regulate the water pressure from the house which is less than 70 PSI. So far:

Fresh water tank leaks.

On the plus side, the toilet and bath faucet are functioning as they should. I see all of the above as small, enjoyable challenges as I am working on it at home.

One of the Grand-kids engaged the hazard flashers and it took me 10 minutes to find the switch.

More to follow.
I've got a soft spot for the 1993 Dynasty. It was my first Class A DP. A few things I learned--You WILL have electrical gremlins. Many of your electrical connections and relays are exposed to a harsh environment in your engine compartment. Take a weekend day and remove every single quick-connect and fuse in that compartment, spray it with WD-40 and reconnect it. Locate every ground buss bar, front and rear, on your coach and spray each connection with WD-40, loosen the connection, then re-tighten it. Unfasten your dash and move it outward enough to loosen and re-tighten every gage and switch connection. Consider adding a redundant ground wire to the daisy-chained ground wire that connects all gages. While you have the dash out, consider replacing the ignition switch and the headlight switch.

Replace any water system fixture with the equivalent Delta or equivalent residential fixture. Much of your water piping will be the now-outdated polybutadene grey plastic. Any time you have to replace something, convert to PEX.

You can attempt to repair your leaking waste tank valve, but they are not expensive. Replace it. When you have replaced it, you should be able to rotate the assembly to aim the outlet as necessary to line up with the outlet plate in the wet bay floor.

A leaking water tank is a bit unusual, but leaking from the fittings connected to it is not. Determine where your leak originates. The gimpy drain fittings used in the fresh water system were replaced by PEX ball valves in later years. There is a check valve isolating the fresh water "shore" water system from the fresh water "internal pump" system. As its rubber seal ages, it will begin to "drool" into the wet bay. It is hidden behind one of the panels of the wet bay.

Clean all your battery cables and replace any corroded connectors and ends.

Change your fuel filters NOW! CARRY SPARE FUEL FILTERS AND THE STRAP WRENCH TO CHANGE THEM. When you know your coach will be parked for some time, try always to have the fuel tank full--that will minimize biological growth in your fuel. Use a biocide in your tank.

If your propane-powered generator does not start easily or run well, replace the reasonably priced regulator and clean the lines. This will frequently end your generator problems. Wear vinyl gloves when disconnecting the lines--the garlic "flavored" oil in propane devices will stick tenaciously to your skin, no matter how many times you wash them.

Change your transmission filters and switch to Transynd, or Allison-approved fluid.

Jumper your "salesman switch" to eliminate its operation completely. It may be labeled "DC Power", "Battery Power" or similar.

If your coach wanders on the highway, or seems "loose on the road", read the "Wandering" thread.

Many of us will be happy to help you with any problem in any way we can. Welcome to the forum!!
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
I've got a soft spot for the 1993 Dynasty. It was my first Class A DP. A few things I learned--You WILL have electrical gremlins. Many of your electrical connections and relays are exposed to a harsh environment in your engine compartment. Take a weekend day and remove every single quick-connect and fuse in that compartment, spray it with WD-40 and reconnect it. Locate every ground buss bar, front and rear, on your coach and spray each connection with WD-40, loosen the connection, then re-tighten it. Unfasten your dash and move it outward enough to loosen and re-tighten every gage and switch connection. Consider adding a redundant ground wire to the daisy-chained ground wire that connects all gages. While you have the dash out, consider replacing the ignition switch and the headlight switch.

Replace any water system fixture with the equivalent Delta or equivalent residential fixture. Much of your water piping will be the now-outdated polybutadene grey plastic. Any time you have to replace something, convert to PEX.

You can attempt to repair your leaking waste tank valve, but they are not expensive. Replace it. When you have replaced it, you should be able to rotate the assembly to aim the outlet as necessary to line up with the outlet plate in the wet bay floor.

A leaking water tank is a bit unusual, but leaking from the fittings connected to it is not. Determine where your leak originates. The gimpy drain fittings used in the fresh water system were replaced by PEX ball valves in later years. There is a check valve isolating the fresh water "shore" water system from the fresh water "internal pump" system. As its rubber seal ages, it will begin to "drool" into the wet bay. It is hidden behind one of the panels of the wet bay.

Clean all your battery cables and replace any corroded connectors and ends.

Change your fuel filters NOW! CARRY SPARE FUEL FILTERS AND THE STRAP WRENCH TO CHANGE THEM. When you know your coach will be parked for some time, try always to have the fuel tank full--that will minimize biological growth in your fuel. Use a biocide in your tank.

If your propane-powered generator does not start easily or run well, replace the reasonably priced regulator and clean the lines. This will frequently end your generator problems. Wear vinyl gloves when disconnecting the lines--the garlic "flavored" oil in propane devices will stick tenaciously to your skin, no matter how many times you wash them.

Change your transmission filters and switch to Transynd, or Allison-approved fluid.

Jumper your "salesman switch" to eliminate its operation completely. It may be labeled "DC Power", "Battery Power" or similar.

If your coach wanders on the highway, or seems "loose on the road", read the "Wandering" thread.

Many of us will be happy to help you with any problem in any way we can. Welcome to the forum!!
Wow, Van...Thank you for the advice! I now think that the FW tank leak may just be the connection at the drain line.

Your other suggestions are great as well, thank you!
Old 09-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When looking for water leaks, gobs of silicone is likely where I should start. All of the other compartments are clean. This must have been leaking for a long time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0619.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	74409

The salesman switch delete & WD40 to every connection are a bit more intimidating.

Name:	DSCF0620.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	74410

House batteries are dead. Mattresses are in the dump trailer. Pulling the awnings out is next, Just in the discovery phase....no repairs yet.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club

I see your post was moved to the Vintage section.... no worries as there are plenty of us with "older" Monaco's waiting to join you! You will receive valuable information and have most of your questions answered by the members here. Good luck & have fun.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post

I see your post was moved to the Vintage section.... no worries as there are plenty of us with "older" Monaco's waiting to join you! You will receive valuable information and have most of your questions answered by the members here. Good luck & have fun.
The ride was fun and I like where I landed.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club

Name:	DSCF0623.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	74426Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0624.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	74427

Natural patina...not an option from Monaco.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post

Fresh water tank leaks.

More to follow.
Man I feel your pain.I to have purchased a 02 Dynasty rolling repair job.My kids and I love it but it's a constant project this love of motor homing. Every time something breaks and I'm working on it I wonder why us rv people put ourselves through this ongoing fix it job! Last week the kids wanted to camp outside in a tent with their cousins so I slept outside with them and when I woke up the next day the answer to my question was very apparent. Man did I hurt! I really don't mind working on my rolling tent anymore.
The baroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #10

Awesome project! I can relate to the constant awareness when it comes to watching for problems that need attention. It took me a year or better to catch up on all the sometimes way past due maintenance on ours. Now though, I don't believe ongoing maintenance is much worse than one that many years newer or that might have set me back many more dollars!

I'd be suspicious of silicone gob jobs as well.

I notice in your pics a lot of that browned vinyl screw cover. On our first coach (93 HR) I tracked down and replaced every inch of that molding to make it look right. It was a big improvement for sure, but it was time consuming, hard on my hands when working it around corners, and naturally, expensive! This second one (the one we have now) was just starting to do that browning thing when we got it. Using lesson learned from previous coach, I started looking for options, and finding them to be slim, decided to tape off and paint a couple areas and just watch. 4 years later, still looking great. No flaking or problems of any sort. I just used cheap rattle can paint that seemed to match really well, and it still does. Have recently used the same paint on some other yellowed plastic that seemed to be in good shape yet, other than the discoloring. FWIW, -Al
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The baroness View Post
Man I feel your pain.I to have purchased a 02 Dynasty rolling repair job.My kids and I love it but it's a constant project this love of motor homing. Every time something breaks and I'm working on it I wonder why us rv people put ourselves through this ongoing fix it job! Last week the kids wanted to camp outside in a tent with their cousins so I slept outside with them and when I woke up the next day the answer to my question was very apparent. Man did I hurt! I really don't mind working on my rolling tent anymore.
I'm having fun with it so far, baroness. The tent camping is many years removed for me. It's great that that you have a MH to enjoy with your family!
Old 09-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

I'd be suspicious of silicone gob jobs as well.

FWIW, -Al
Over tightened fitting. Bad photo but split at 1:00.

Name:	DSCF0628.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	74533
Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Kitchen faucet replaced with a Home Depot cheapo. Takes about 10 minutes to swap and should last 10 years.

Name:	DSCF0630.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	74553

Name:	DSCF0631.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	74554
Old 09-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #14