Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

93 Safari Monico Electrical question

I bought this rig for a winter project. I have not hooked it up to 30 or 50 amp service. I do have it plugged into an extension cord. Nothing that draws big current works. Air Conditioning or Dryer (Heat) or furnace. Is that normal? Or do I have another problem..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

[QUOTE=ollison;1853796]I bought this rig for a winter project. I have not hooked it up to 30 or 50 amp service. I do have it plugged into an extension cord. Nothing that draws big current works. Air Conditioning or Dryer (Heat) or furnace. Is that normal? Or do I have another problem..[/QUOTE

ollison
Check all of the `120VAC circuit breakers, including those on face of the inverter charger.
Check for 120VDC at the outlet the washer/dryer is plugged into.

The air conditioner compressor may not operate on a 15A circuit or a 14 ga. extension cord.
However if the A/C is set to any "fan only" setting, the blower should run.

You certainly do have "another problem" if your propane furnace will not run since it operates only on 12VDC ....(not on 120VAC).

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 12-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

I need my inverter charger?

My 1800 watt inverter charger hooked up to my house batteries. ? I just had to buy one to replace a faulty on. I have it on the bench now and have finished all the test on it but is not installed. Didn't think it would stop these things from working. I thought it was only aux. electric. I am learning. My dryer turns just no heat. My 2 airs has 2 thermostats on the wall and does nothing. furnace fan dead to. I do have hot wires to air on roof. Clarify again and thank you.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #4

Trying to run heavy appliances on a light extension cord, or an inverter, NOT part of a good plan.

The rest should work fine, and if not, should be troubleshooted individually?

The furnace and AC COULD be the same problem, related to the operation of your thermostats, but without a lot more info, nearly impossible for anyone not familiar with your coach to advise?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollison View Post
My 1800 watt inverter charger hooked up to my house batteries. ?

I just had to buy one to replace a faulty on.
I have it on the bench now and have finished all the test on it but is not installed.
Didn't think it would stop these things from working.
I thought it was only aux. electric.
I am learning.
My dryer turns just no heat.
My 2 airs has 2 thermostats on the wall and does nothing.
furnace fan dead to.
I do have hot wires to air on roof.
Clarify again and thank you.
ollison
IMO The majority of your electrical problems appear to be 12VDC related.

There are two electrical systems, one 120VAC and the other 12VDC....neither is "aux electric"!

Both 12VDC and 120VAC are necessary for the operation of roof airs with wall thermostats..... (12V for the thermostats 120V for the roof airs).

The propane furnace needs/uses ONLY 12VDC, (and propane), to operate.....
You needed good batteries, and/or a working 120vac to 12VDC converter installed, to run your furnace....(BTW, The same is true for the propane water heater).

Since your dryer "runs but does not heat" it is getting the necessary 120VAC.
The reason it "does not heat" is most likely caused by a blown "thermal fuse", (which is located on the top of the drum, under the top of the the Splendide washer/dryer).
I got replacement fuses from Chris, a Splendide repair guy in Yuma Az, (cellphone number 928-210-0598).

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara

Tags
electrical