RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #1

95 Winnebago Itasca Passage 28RQ - Engine Manual

Good day folks,

I am looking for the shop manual or repair manual for the engine (Chevy 454 7,4L Full injected) for a 1995 Winnebago Passage 28rq. I am sure there is not a specific manual for that vehicle, but can anyone recommend an equivalent haynes or chilton manual that would be applicable?

Dale

Daleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

There are many service and shop manuals available for that engine, it was used in pickups, boats, and many other applications. I don't think there was anything unique to it's use in the Winnebago chassis. Some of the manuals I found in a Google search were free PDF shop manuals. I'd download a number of them and see if they contain the information you want.

Do you plan a complete rebuild of the engine or just want service intervals? Most all of that is available for that engine and drive train.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Do you plan a complete rebuild of the engine or just want service intervals? Most all of that is available for that engine and drive train.
Thanks,

I like to have the manual so I can look up any specifics should I want to do maintenance. For example tricks on timing, or the belts etc. Its useful to have. The engine looks pretty straightforward, but the fuel injection system is new to me etc. I'd hope to pick up a manual to leave on board with a replacement set of hoses/wires/belts etc. Just in case.

In reading, I have found reviews show this engine to be longlasting and reliable. Right now other than a loud tick on load, it seems to be running smoothly
Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleo View Post
Thanks,

I like to have the manual so I can look up any specifics should I want to do maintenance. For example tricks on timing, or the belts etc. Its useful to have. The engine looks pretty straightforward, but the fuel injection system is new to me etc. I'd hope to pick up a manual to leave on board with a replacement set of hoses/wires/belts etc. Just in case.

In reading, I have found reviews show this engine to be longlasting and reliable. Right now other than a loud tick on load, it seems to be running smoothly
That tick could be exhaust blowing out a cracked or leaking exhaust manifold, a problem the 7.4 L engine is reported to have.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
That tick could be exhaust blowing out a cracked or leaking exhaust manifold, a problem the 7.4 L engine is reported to have.
The 454 was notorious for running hot and cracking headers. Ask me how I know...

Open up that doghouse and listen/look/feel around the headers for a leak. While you're there, check the condition of the plug wires; often cooked.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

Thanks All, I had read about the exhaust and overheating. But can anyone recommend a manual to cover this engine?
Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

When you say "fuel injection" do you mean TBI ?
I have a set (2) factory GM manuals for Sevice (chassis) and Driveability, Emissions, and Electrical Diagnosis for 1994 models. It is actually relevant for 93-96 models.
If this is what you need let me know.
I used them extensively on the 95 Brave I previously owned.
Thanks
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

Check eBay for used manuals. I bought a slightly used full 3 volume set of factory P-30 manuals for around $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnbrave1 View Post
When you say "fuel injection" do you mean TBI ?
I have a set (2) factory GM manuals for Sevice (chassis) and Driveability, Emissions, and Electrical Diagnosis for 1994 models. It is actually relevant for 93-96 models.
If this is what you need let me know.
I used them extensively on the 95 Brave I previously owned.
Thanks

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, itasca, manual, winnebago