Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
A comedy of errors

Went out today to get some things done on the RV. First stopped to buy a battery, fuel filter and some open ended wrenches. We get there and first off find the clerk had given me an oil filter. Um, not going to work. So, we decided to at least install the battery. First time, we hooked it up to the place. Suddenly, we have lights in the RV and a waterfall in the bathroom. The pipe under the sink had loosened and I guess I left the water pump on when I parked it. Oops My son got the waterfall stopped and we decided where to try to hook up the battery next. Got it hooked up and we got it in the right spot this time. Lights worked, but trying to start the engine, nothing. Then I saw a flashing button saying hold for 15 sec. I did and we got spark! I decided to try the starting fluid and it will turn over, so that leads me to think it's not getting fuel as opposed to spark plugs or wires being bad. So, as it was already 100 degrees out, we stopped, grabbed air filter and the unneeded oilfilter and left. Will try again tomorrow to get it running.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
One good thing from today, the guy at the auto store said my air filter looked good and I didn't to replace it. Gee, I got to save a bunch of money there. *sarcasm*
Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be very careful with the starting fluid. You can do a lot of damage to the engine with that stuff.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just wanted to test if it would turn over, I won't be using it again.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

Stock Dodge was a mechanical fuel pump. Takes a little bit for it to suck the gas out of the tank up to the carb.

Is this the panel with the 15 sec button?

Oil - With engine off, push button for 15 seconds. If red light is lit after you let go the enegine oil level is low. Sensor is on side of oil pan. Does not affect ignition.

Coolant Level - Comes ON if coolant level is low and ignition switch is ON. Sensor is on rear side of top radiator tank.

Trans Oil Level - If ignition ON AND trans temp > 130 AND transmission is in Nuetral then if the fluid level is low the light will illuminate. Sensor is on the Transmission did stick. Thats why there are wires connected to it.

Trans temp - 150 - 300 degrees of converter output line. Sensor is on rear bottom of radiator.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep that is my set up. When we finally got the battery in the rght place, at first, when trying to get the engine to turn over, it was just clicking. I push the button for the 15 sec and then the engine started cranking.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used WD-40 for starting fluid to get a Chevy 400cid started that sat for 10 years. WD-40 is not as volatile as starting fluid and provides some lubrication to the top end of the engine while fuel is getting pulled up through the lines.
Also, I assume you drained the old gas and put in fresh gas. Good luck in saving the Chief.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a question, on the passenger side, I have two gas inlets I guess, one right after each other. Which is the main and which is the aux? The one nearest the entry is labeled gas, but the one farthest isn't labeled.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

I have no clue why that happened but the circuits are not interconnected. At least not from the mfg.

Dave
Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
I have no clue why that happened but the circuits are not interconnected. At least not from the mfg.

Dave
I vaguely remember the dealer telling me I had to press a button on the dash first to start the engine. In my (bad) memory, it was a choke button. There is no choke button. So he must have said the 15 sec button. I have no idea why it was set up this way.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #11

On my 78 the main tank (made by Dodge) has rounded edges and the aux tank (made by Winnebago) has sharp edges. That is the only way I know to figure it out.

Dave
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I used WD-40 for starting fluid to get a Chevy 400cid started that sat for 10 years. WD-40 is not as volatile as starting fluid and provides some lubrication to the top end of the engine while fuel is getting pulled up through the lines.
Also, I assume you drained the old gas and put in fresh gas. Good luck in saving the Chief.
Great, I will try that if needed. That starting fluid is noxious. I will be draining the old fuel probably tomorrow now I know how to tell the main tank from the aux tank. Once I drain it, we will put in the new fuel filter and the new gas and see if we are getting gas up to the carb. If not, I guess we replace the fuel pump next.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
On my 78 the main tank (made by Dodge) has rounded edges and the aux tank (made by Winnebago) has sharp edges. That is the only way I know to figure it out.

Dave
Thank, I will send my son under tomorrow and see which is which.