Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
I'm just curious, but did they change anything over the years of production? I ask because I read that in the later years of production they had the 700R4 in Suburbans and Pick-ups. Did they improve something that allowed this?
Yes they did change some things, But not much as i remember. I'd still Never trust one in anything bigger than 1/2 ton pickup/ or daily driver.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Would love to get a Spicer 5831-A..

Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
You were doing well till you confused pressure with quantity. The two are not the same. Pumps may be rated to deliver a certain press at a certain flow rate but pressure alone means nothing. The number that is important is GPH at rated pressure..
The thought is the quantity is the amount of fuel used while trying to spin the engine over faster for HP and the volume of fuel is the the amount of fuel used at a lower rpm to produce torque.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
??????
Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
The thought is the quantity is the amount of fuel used while trying to spin the engine over faster for HP and the volume of fuel is the the amount of fuel used at a lower rpm to produce torque.
How do you measure quantity? How do you measure volume? Are they not the same? a Gallon is a quantity and a volume.

I am not trying to bust your chops. Just trying to understand what you are saying

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
How do you measure quantity? How do you measure volume? Are they not the same? a Gallon is a quantity and a volume.

I am not trying to bust your chops. Just trying to understand what you are saying
Eddie-sorry it took so long to get back to you.Been kind of busy.Quantity is single gallons I.E.-how far can I go on one gallon of gas.Volume is GPH(gallons per hour) or gross amount of gas with hopefully a three port regulator and return.Here the question is by a lower rpm with o/d,how much of that gross available gas/return line is the engine going to use.If working the engine at the beginning of it's torque curve and more strain in that region but less gas peddle is going to use less volume or more.Most people relate to using more gas by a raise in rpm,but is is possible to use more volume of gas at a lower rpm because additional loads to maintain the torque at a lower rpm.

This whole question about o/d trannies still falls out on engine efficiencies/torque.The stock GM truck 454 engine's head port size/camming is very poor as is the SCR.(Static compression ratio)The way to capitalize on a o/d is to use aftermarket heads(not talking high dollar aluminum heads.But there are decent improvements in aftermarket cast iron heads like from RHS with a slight increase in SCR) and re-cam it according.You increase the torque at that same o/d lower rpm saving on the volume of gas.

On the P30 chassis with the dual rear wheel/454 option the rear end gear ratio is already 4.56.I have the build sheet from GM's archive.Before any changes are made,you should have done the compression/leakdown tests to evaluate where the engine is at.Unless you have owned the unit since new,you don't know what the cruise speed the united was used at and by the time of 80,000 to 100,000 some are pretty tired with 4.56 rear end ratios.Valve springs,rings,bearings,etc.My point is you can't or shouldn't look at these units the same way you would look at how many miles they have on them as you would look at any other vehicle.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Talking about Volumetric Efficiency..