Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
What have you paid to have an airbag system installed in your RV? I'm looking at two different RVs, same model and brand, but one has springs, the other an air-ride system.
We did the installation ourselves and I opted for the heavy duty application even though I knew I wouldn't need all the lift at first but figured age would settle the springs more. My C Class has long long springs and the air bags sure improved their ability to provide a safe and stable ride. The set I purchased were for the G30 Chassis from Firestone and my overall cost was about $400.00 including shipping to where I live in BC. The kit arrived general freight and not UPS. It was not hard to install and only required drilling two holes each side (for bolts and spacers) through the frame. I highly recommend them just for the ride improvement and stability. The A class already had the addition of airbags done so I saved a few shekels there. Like I said I do recommend them to people all the time with the caveat that YMMV.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently installed the Air Lift airbag system on our Aspect, after thumping our way across the West and back. The install was no-drill, using existing holes in the Ford E450 chassis frame. I did the install myself, it took about 4 hours. I haven't really had an opportunity yet to try them out on a long trip but the ride seemed much smoother in the little drives I have taken.
AirLift has a rebate program going now, $50 off a kit. I ordered my kit through TruckSpring.com
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Let me know if you need me to find the kit for your application. And as stated above, we are offering $50 off a bag kit and $50 off a compressor kit, so up to $100 off a full kit. You can learn more here.
AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #18

Thanks airlift I will look at this compressor kit
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #19

need help with air bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
on a 28 foot 1985 southwind rear is 7700 lbs this is no drill bolt on it raised rear maybe 2 inches it was one of the best things i have done
I have a 1989 winnebago superchief 31 ft.I bought the airlift 57203 kit for it but have never installed them on it yet.I want to try and do it myself but the ones on it are a factory type called jetco which is not in business anymore but removing them looks like a job.Is there any advice on here or the internet to help me with this project.The airlift bags look a lot smaller then the ones on it but it says it is for a motorhome class a chassis.Mine is the chevy chassis.
mwilson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson66 View Post
I have a 1989 winnebago superchief 31 ft.I bought the airlift 57203 kit for it but have never installed them on it yet.I want to try and do it myself but the ones on it are a factory type called jetco which is not in business anymore but removing them looks like a job.Is there any advice on here or the internet to help me with this project.The airlift bags look a lot smaller then the ones on it but it says it is for a motorhome class a chassis.Mine is the chevy chassis.
I installed firestone air bags in the front coil springs last year and I was very satisfied with the improvement in ride quality. Last week I purchased the same Airlift kit for the rear suspension that you did and installed them last night after work. Fortunately for me there were no existing air bags though. I was able to install both air bags and the necessary hoses in about an hour and forty five to two hours. That was taking my time and moving very slowly, it is a complete bolt in kit. I have a 27' Winnebago Chieftain and it raise the ride height about two inches in the rear. I am off tomorrow, so I will test drive it then and I will comment on the outcome and post some pictures.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #21

We have Firestone bags on the front and rear of our '88 Winnie - HUGE difference in stability and handling, but the first thing lots of new users do, is pump them up to the max for that impressive LIFT, totally oblivious to the likelihood that they are then trading ride quality for altitude!

You CAN, and SHOULD work at getting the best handling, combined with ride quality - you really don't have to sacrifice one to get the other - experiment a bit with bag pressure, and you'll find the combination that fits you and your rig best!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
We have Firestone bags on the front and rear of our '88 Winnie - HUGE difference in stability and handling, but the first thing lots of new users do, is pump them up to the max for that impressive LIFT, totally oblivious to the likelihood that they are then trading ride quality for altitude!

You CAN, and SHOULD work at getting the best handling, combined with ride quality - you really don't have to sacrifice one to get the other - experiment a bit with bag pressure, and you'll find the combination that fits you and your rig best!
Great comment and very true! I just got done installing the rear air bags and did some test driving today. I started out with the fronts at 50psi and the rears maxed out at 100psi. The front bounced too much and the rear was much better than it was before the air bags were installed, but still too stiff. I dropped the front to 40psi and lowered the rear to 80psi and I think I found the sweet spot. Soooo much better and I didn't drag the rear bumper leaving a single driveway today. AMAZING! Unfortunately I didn't have time to take photos, sorry.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #23

hello All - we just purchased a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T (30'7" length). On the ride home, I noticed hard "jarring", and rough riding on some interstates and highways. Especially rough when rolling on cement roads where there are "seams" in the concrete. In reading the discussion, do you think the air bag suspension would help to smooth out the ride? I actually had t slow down to almost 35mph on some roads to keep from shaking the RV apart (at least it felt like the jarring was going to shake the RV apart)! If you think it would help, would you recommend the air bag suspension to both front & rear? Also, which would you recommend (Brand, series, inside coils or outside, etc...)? Any ideas, and insight would be appreciated - especially true experience.
Thanks - Pop
Poppy.Deary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy.Deary View Post
hello All - we just purchased a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T (30'7" length). On the ride home, I noticed hard "jarring", and rough riding on some interstates and highways. Especially rough when rolling on cement roads where there are "seams" in the concrete. In reading the discussion, do you think the air bag suspension would help to smooth out the ride? I actually had t slow down to almost 35mph on some roads to keep from shaking the RV apart (at least it felt like the jarring was going to shake the RV apart)! If you think it would help, would you recommend the air bag suspension to both front & rear? Also, which would you recommend (Brand, series, inside coils or outside, etc...)? Any ideas, and insight would be appreciated - especially true experience.
Thanks - Pop
Hi Pop,

This is an old thread I hadn't read before. In my experience, airbags would do the job. BUT get quality name brand air bags from a company like Firestone.

I used Air Lift brand bags and they didn't last a month. It seems most interstate highways in TN have a "bump" when the road meets the bridges. A couple hundred mile into TN from just south of Cleveland, OH, one of those cheaper, cut rate bags popped. The other soon followed suit.

The sleazy internet retailer said they didn't make them so it wasn't their problem. And Air Lift said they didn't sell the bags so it wasn't their responsibility. Anyway I had to eat the cost of the bags AND had to get my suspension repaired hundreds of miles from my home base.

Plus the "swell" folks at Air Lift never even sent the rebate!!

Suspension parts aren't like a $20 Harbor Freight drill. If the HF crap breaks you toss it. Your suspension is important. Get quality name brand parts. You don't want to be jacking your motor home on a busy freeway or look for a reasonably honest shop a long way from home.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
My 2 cents: I bought air-lift airbags for all 4 corners of my B from an internet retailer (sdtrucksprings.com -highly recommend them by the way) and had a great experience. I did have a blow out on one front inner coil bag and called air-lift and they replaced it for free. It happened a second time same airbag and they replaced it for free again no questions asked. Lots of retailers will refer you to the manufacturer concerning warranties so maybe it's a good idea to check who offers the warranty before purchasing. And remember even though the end result may be a smoother ride, airbags are not shock absorbers they're for weight distribution and/or leveling purposes. Good luck.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson66 View Post
The back of my Winnebago has a Jetco system with self auto inflators. I want to add a control and tubing to get air to my front airbags for in cab ride adjustment. Does anyone know of a kit that I could purchase that doesn't include an air pump and reservoir?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #27

mine has bags in the back, but I guess they are old and have leaks, what about a 1986 winne chietain p30 chassis, I just looked on the site you linked to, but it was no helpful for me,,, any thoughts, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLift View Post
Let me know if you need me to find the kit for your application. And as stated above, we are offering $50 off a bag kit and $50 off a compressor kit, so up to $100 off a full kit. You can learn more here.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
mine has bags in the back, but I guess they are old and have leaks, what about a 1986 winne chietain p30 chassis, I just looked on the site you linked to, but it was no helpful for me,,, any thoughts, thanks
Try 1986 Gmc Motorhome Air Bag Suspension Kits | Air Lift Company

Tags
suspension