Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Added Air Bag Suspension System

Just got finished installing the airbag suspension add on for our G30 Chassis C Class. Now the back end sits loud and proud above the top of the back wheels and the handling (short trip up and down a winding mountain pass) was a totally new to me experience. No sway or Watusi evident at all and cornering is much more stable.

If you were thinking of adding this Ride Rite system by Firestone I would highly recommend it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

I did it to my class a was under 400 front and rear best money I spent

Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

ive been looking at them ! glad to see the work good. in the front what did u use? ive seen the front bags go in the springs does yours ?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

Yes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmat View Post
ive been looking at them ! glad to see the work good. in the front what did u use? ive seen the front bags go in the springs does yours ?
The ones I put in only did the back end of the unit. I can lift the back end about 8" just by adding 50# of air. I have no idea how high it will go if I go to the recommended maximum of 100#
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #6

Hey Possum, I've been thinking about adding the Firestone kit to the rear of my class A. What is the weight of your MH? I'm curious to see the final results of your install. Could you post some pics of the difference with them deflated and then inflated? Did it make the ride softer at all?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #7

on a 28 foot 1985 southwind rear is 7700 lbs this is no drill bolt on it raised rear maybe 2 inches it was one of the best things i have done
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish
on a 28 foot 1985 southwind rear is 7700 lbs this is no drill bolt on it raised rear maybe 2 inches it was one of the best things i have done
I have almost an identical chassis length and weight as yours. I already replaced the bell crank, shocks and front in-coil air bags. The stability over my MH is fantastic now. My main goal in wanting to add the rear air bags is to gain 1"-2" in ride height and to soften the ride. How did the ride QUALITY change since adding the rear air bags?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #9

I feel it helped a lot I run 60 in rear not a harsh ride at all at 60000 miles lower ball joints were shot that was my biggest problem you might check them.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
The ones I put in only did the back end of the unit. I can lift the back end about 8" just by adding 50# of air. I have no idea how high it will go if I go to the recommended maximum of 100#
When I first installed my rear bags I put too much air in them (70-80 psi).

It took me a little while to figure out I only need enough air pressure to get the rear ride height to be nearly the same as the front.

With too much air pressure the ride was rough and squirrely. It rides 100% better now that the RV rides level front to rear. All RV's are different and will take different amounts of pressure to achieve a level ride.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #11

Agree 100 percent
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all,
I'm two thirds the way across the continent and the handling of our little motorhome is proving to be about 100% improvement with the airbag suspension added. I highly recommend this feature to anyone thinking of adding the system. So much easier driving and the ride is so much easier and the stability is greatly improved. Sure diminished driver fatigue too.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

What have you paid to have an airbag system installed in your RV? I'm looking at two different RVs, same model and brand, but one has springs, the other an air-ride system.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

Plasticman add bags if it has springs also I did mine front and rear for about $400 air lift the p-32 is a no drill bolt on a little less than a day to install

Tags
suspension