Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lightbulb Adding a slideout to a older Class A

I'm looking at possibly adding a slide out to the right side of my 84 Chieftain. Has anyone heard of/seen or done this to a older RV?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull View Post
I'm looking at possibly adding a slide out to the right side of my 84 Chieftain. Has anyone heard of/seen or done this to a older RV?

Here is a place that does it but i have never been there or used them but the website shows alot

RV Repair, Aftermarket Motorhome Slideout Conversions, Fresno/Sanger, CA
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not a cheap item to add. I doubt if it is worth while on an older coach.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It is not a cheap item to add. I doubt if it is worth while on an older coach.

Ken
I'm not worried about resale. I'll also be doing this myself. I feel I have the necessary know how to do this.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

i like your attitude i would do my research and go for it i have done several projects over the years that people thought were slightly insane and so far they all have worked out pretty good. still using/ driving them to this day and in the middle of a multiple year one now. you only have to make your self happy,take lots of pics so we can share in your build, sounds basically it sounds like a working mans way to upgrade with out a life time of payments
very cool idea
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

I think it sounds like a good plan, I just have to wonder what a project like this is going to do with your empty weight vs. GVWR, as well as weight distribution. The side you install the slide into is going to get a lot heavier?

Even knowing exactly what is going to be needed to maintain necessary coach sidewall and slide out stiffness/rigidity so it doesn't twist itself to death going down the road, and able to maintain the ability to seal (open and closed) - that's going to take some serious thought on the part of the builder? Pretty big project....
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

You could probably buy a slide in a salvage yard and fit it into your rig. You would have all the parts. If not, light weight Alum. frame, flooring and walls wouldn't add that much to the weight. You might have to shift some weight from somewhere else on the other side to balance it out. Good luck!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd worry more about adding the weight of that slide (and the counterbalancing weight on the other side) to an older coach that likely is pretty close to the GVWR already.

How much net cargo carrying capacity do you have to play with in your coach?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
I'd worry more about adding the weight of that slide (and the counterbalancing weight on the other side) to an older coach that likely is pretty close to the GVWR already.

How much net cargo carrying capacity do you have to play with in your coach?
I'm considering dual slides directly opposite from each other and I already have a donor TT that has been burned but the parts I need are fine and I've tested them. Since my MH is 22 ft it leaves little room for slide outs so I'll be shortening the donor parts and be able to move both kitchen and dining suit out. Structure wise I'm not worried considering how overbuilt IMO Winnebagos from my era are. I'll add some extra support where needed. I'm a pretty decent welder and I've got access to all the square tubing I'll need. I'd prefer a slide-out in the rear right side for a larger bed but there really isn't room enough. Besides5 hrs sleep at night is the most my wife and I get anyways.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Seriously, I'm sure you can do the actual modification, and it sounds like a fun project,but ...

have you weighed your coach on all 4 corners when its fully loaded and how much below your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating are you now?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Seriously, I'm sure you can do the actual modification, and it sounds like a fun project,but ...

have you weighed your coach on all 4 corners when its fully loaded and how much below your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating are you now?
Nope I haven't weighed it yet but GVWR is 11,700 and I'm pretty sure I'll still be way below that when finished. I don't plan on pulling a toad or loading up alot of junk in it. It will be for my wife and I to live in full time so I will pay close attention to weight when we get to that point.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #12

If you do the dual slide directly opposite of each other won't you close off the whole back end when traveling?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Raging' if you do go through with this, please post pictures of the job in progress. I think it would be of interest to a lot of us.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That has been done. It was at a rally or something. A crew came in and did a RV makeover on a 22 ft Winnie.
It was also covered in MH magazine.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slideout