Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Advice on buying a small vintage trailer

Hi everyone! I just joined this site because my husband and I are looking to buy a small older trailer. I have been looking on Craigslist at some, most built in the 70's and under 20 ft. We love camping with our two little boys, like projects, and my husband is pretty handy - so an older fixer upper seems like a great choice for right now, plus they are so cozy! I've heard old Shastas are often good. I know we should look for water damage in anything we look at. Are there any brands that we should consider or avoid, or any other buying advice anyone has? Thank you so much for any help you can give. We are soooo excited to be joining the vintage RV commuinity!
Hynes family

Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
20 Feet and under can be a challenge with a couple of younger kids - that size range is usually only a sleeping and cooking unit - no bathroom or shower, so limits types of campgrounds most likely to provide the missing elements. Certainly do-able, but something in the mid 20 foot range will probably cost about the same, but provide substantially more needed features.

Good luck, welcome to the group, and happy RVing!

John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard. Always like to get more vintage trailers on here. Look in the Vintage Forum in the photos thread and ours is the number one post. It is a 1979 Silver Streak...31 years old now.

If you want a well built older trailer look for a Silver Streak, Streamline or a silver Avion. The bottom of my list would be an Air Stream. These are really well made trailer and are all aluminum with a steel under frame. After 31 years ours does not leak.

With you up in Washington, you should be able to find some silver Streaks or Streamlines. They were manufactured in California and there are lots of them on the west coast.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, brands, buying help, small trailers, vintage