Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

After your roof top a/c units passed away....

Where did you turn for cooling comfort?
Window a/c?
Free standing unit that vents to the outside but stays in the room?
Bags of ice piled around? LOL
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You seem to have ruled out a new rooftop AC, why is that.

The free standing in-room unit pulls in outside air to compensate for the hot air that it's pumping out that pipe. Well, the unit itself doesn't actually pull in outside air, but outside air HAS to come in to replace the air being pushed out. This means that hot air is being brought in, so these units don't cool quite as well as a unit that vents the heat through a radiator or some other method that doesn't require pumping air out of the room. I discovered that trying to cool my boat with one. It got coolER inside, but not cool.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
You seem to have ruled out a new rooftop AC, why is that.

The free standing in-room unit pulls in outside air to compensate for the hot air that it's pumping out that pipe. Well, the unit itself doesn't actually pull in outside air, but outside air HAS to come in to replace the air being pushed out. This means that hot air is being brought in, so these units don't cool quite as well as a unit that vents the heat through a radiator or some other method that doesn't require pumping air out of the room. I discovered that trying to cool my boat with one. It got coolER inside, but not cool.
I guess I figure they are quite costly and I guess I would just rather put my cash into things that make the unit go and stop.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #4

New Coleman 15000 btu for $600, decent quality 15000 btu freestanding $400 and up. Add another $50 for hardware to hold it down and make a window insert for the vent. $150 savings is hardly worth the trouble imo.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Don't start down grading your rigs systems. Bite the bullet and replace the air unit. Some day when you are broke down beside the road in Arizona summer heat, you will be glad you replaced the air conditioner...that is if the generator still works. I know you have had your share of issues with your rig...I hope things get better.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
check cragislist and salvage yards might get lucky
Old 11-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

You keep asking for answers and help in fixing stuff over and over, if you don't like the answers why keep asking?

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

No comment to the above but updating post to add:

After the generator was installed, it turns out the rear a/c runs off it and that's why it hadn't previously come on lending me to assume it was dead.
Upon taking the unit to an RV shop that was recommended, he found out the rear cooled nicely and replaced the front with a brand new one altogether. Upgraded from 13k BTU to 15k, new shrouds on both, the new cover in the front and the cover that was in the front was transferred to the bedroom as it was broken in half from the get go.
Saaaa weeet!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

I have been thinking of the possibility of replacing the 2 rooftop A/C units with a dual-zone ductless mini-split. They are far more efficient, far quieter, and use much less energy than the rooftop units.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof