Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Does the code not say '0761? That would make them 2001 tires.
No, the 4 digit code is week/week/year/year.

HERE is a reference.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
That would mean 7th week maybe 1961. Lol. Not possible. They are 7th week 1996. You can google it but manufacturers sometimes put a star or a special character at the end to signify that the tire was manufactured before the year 2000.
Brain fart.. But it does look like a 1 at the end..

Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
No, the 4 digit code is month/month/year/year.

HERE is a reference.

Rusty
ya, brain farted.. Too many years under the Julian system. My story and I'm sticking to it
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Brain fart.. But it does look like a 1 at the end..
One tire appears to say 0761 and the other appears to be 1761, I will see If I can pics of the front tires for comparisson
Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
One tire appears to say 0761 and the other appears to be 1761, I will see If I can pics of the front tires for comparisson
Neither front tire has a dot stamp on the outside wall, The number must be on the other side
Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
No worries, Bill.. I'm sure it's 076. The fellas are right that it is probably a small symbol.

If it makes a difference, mine came with 1999 Goodyear's in 'like new' condition. I have 600 miles or so on them since I got it.. Funny thing is, they only had 50psi in them when I drove it home about 160 miles. Didn't know it then. Have 70 psi in now and they are still good. Would I trust them at 60-65mph cross country? No. But they will be fine for 50mph and less than 100 mile trips.. IMHO.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
ya, brain farted.. Too many years under the Julian system. My story and I'm sticking to it
So did I! I typed "month/month/year/year" when I meant "week/week/year/year".

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
So did I! I typed "month/month/year/year" when I meant "week/week/year/year".

Rusty
The tire pressure stamp on the tires says 90 psi max, they all had between 65 and 75 psi, So I pumped them all up to 85. I cannot find a tire pressure label anywhere in this camper, so I guess I am guessing at the pressure to put in them.
My brother is /was a long haul trucker and said some of the tires he ran in the day were as old as dirt and sidewalls were cracked and they were
re-grooved and then retreaded and done again and they still ran them, he said to keep the speeds down to 60-65 and check the tire heat from time to time, and don't let them get really hot, he suggested that armor all was my friend
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I have tons of paperwork but I have nothing showing when the tires were replaced, Guess I have to start saving up for tires
Good idea.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The tire pressure stamp on the tires says 90 psi max, they all had between 65 and 75 psi, So I pumped them all up to 85. I cannot find a tire pressure label anywhere in this camper, so I guess I am guessing at the pressure to put in them.
My brother is /was a long haul trucker and said some of the tires he ran in the day were as old as dirt and sidewalls were cracked and they were
re-grooved and then retreaded and done again and they still ran them, he said to keep the speeds down to 60-65 and check the tire heat from time to time, and don't let them get really hot, he suggested that armor all was my friend
On RV and truck tires the pressure on the sidewall is not the maximum it should ever have, it's the minimum pressure to support the maximum rating of the tire. Same with the tire charts, it's the minimum pressure required to support the weight specified.
To know the correct pressure you need to get it weighed on all four "corners", then go to the manufacturers charts for that tire. Use the highest weight on that axle and use it across all the tires on that axle. Do not run different pressures on the same axle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just one more fyi..Check with the manufacturer on the wheels as to what max air they can handle. I have seen 10 ply tires rated for 80-90psi 235/85R16's on 16 " wheels that were rated for 65 psi. Another accident in the making....
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #26

I got my new to me rig early this year and felt the same as the OP. Tires looked OK, lots of tread should last a few more seasons. They were cheap MasterCraft with no DOT code. After a couple flats and sitting on the side of the hi way waiting for a service truck I found the money to get them all replaced. Fortunatey they were rear blowouts and not to scary (other than the bang) one did cause damage to wheel well and trim.

If you continue to run with these out of date tires recommend you have a good road service package, spare tire, cell phone or proper tools and jack. And oh yeah, lots of extra time to sit on side of the hi way
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1163111510.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	25165   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1875022958.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	25166  

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On RV and truck tires the pressure on the sidewall is not the maximum it should ever have, it's the minimum pressure to support the maximum rating of the tire. Same with the tire charts, it's the minimum pressure required to support the weight specified.
To know the correct pressure you need to get it weighed on all four "corners", then go to the manufacturers charts for that tire. Use the highest weight on that axle and use it across all the tires on that axle. Do not run different pressures on the same axle.
I found the Tire label certificate in of all places under the dash and behind a carpet on the sidewall and It states my GVWR is 15,600 and both the front and rear tires are 225/70R19.5F 19.5 x 6 and all the tires should have 70PSI cold, looks like I have put too much air presssure in them,
I was not driving it like that, just moving it around the yard to mow the grass

What does that F stand for?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The F means load range F. The load range replaces the old ply ratings that were used for years.

bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires