Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Air Horn Stopped Working

My air horn stopped working, but the regular car horn still works. Both are activated by the same push in the middle of the steering wheel. The air horn was loud... like a truck horn. Now I have a weak sounding car horn. Not even sure where it is located or hooked up. Any advice?

1990 Barth Regency

MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just looked at some pictures of a Barth Regency and they all had Hadleys right on top? Look there? Hey nice looking MH, so congratulations.

Air horns are simple but you need to find it and its source of air pressure. When you do the key elements are the solenoid and the pressure tank and the horn itself. You may have a horn that is one unit like a WOLO so no tank. If you do not have them on the roof.

The main reason for air horn failures are a stuck solenoid or no electricity to the solenoid, a gunked up horn which needs cleaning or/and a new diaphragm, or no air pressure from the source. If the source is a tank then you may have a leak or a break in a line

Some air horns are all one piece, with a compressor activated by electricity which powers the horn. If that is the type you have and the problem is electricity to it the the unit may be fine. If not then you can find replacements on line for not a lot of money.

I suspect the problem is electrical or a stuck solenoid. When you find it have someone hit the button while you see if you have electricity going to the solenoid, if so then move to air pressure.

A solenoid looks like an old 35mm film canister. Sometimes just a tap will free them up.

As an aside I replaced my car horn with a set of Hadley five inch electrical horns and they by themselves give a very nice and loud sound, not a lot of money either.

Good luck.

I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Thanks njs42. This gives me some idea what to look for. I know the horn is powered by an air source because it will not work at all until the coached is aired up. Now I just need to locate that solenoid and the air line. There are lots of wiring and solenoids all over the place.

South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency, 8.3 CTA Cummins, Allison Trans
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
BTW: If the diaphragm is bad inside the horn, you may be able to flip it over, that is as long as it is not cracked. I did that to mine and brought the horn back to life, as good as new.
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote