Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #15

Smile Close but no cigar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt View Post
GM has had internal regulators since late 70's....
Except in some GM motorhome chassis; our '85 has a 105 amp Lestek alternator with external Lestek voltage regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If it is a Lister Alt and reg. then you are not buying anything that will work. They went out of business years ago and nothing new will fit. A Penteck reg will work but you will need to rewire it and have the alt. rebuilt. Been there, done that.....
You're close, Billie; it's a Lestek alternator and regulator, and Penntex (PennTex Industries, Inc.) replacement parts. Penntex makes regulators and alternators that can be used in our motorhomes.
http://www.penntexusa.com/Lestek4412toPennTex.pdf
http://www.penntexusa.com/AltAppguide.pdf

TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
Except in some GM motorhome chassis; our '85 has a 105 amp Lestek alternator with external Lestek voltage regulator.

You're close, Billie; it's a Lestek alternator and regulator, and Penntex (PennTex Industries, Inc.) replacement parts. Penntex makes regulators and alternators that can be used in our motorhomes.
http://www.penntexusa.com/Lestek4412toPennTex.pdf
http://www.penntexusa.com/AltAppguide.pdf
Thanks for the correct spelling. I've heard horror stories of people that just put on a regular GM alt. or Reg. and it didn't work. The Penntex reg. works great in mine but I had to have the Alt. rebuilt because the guy at Penntex said they didn't have an Alt that would match. Having an older MoHo can be challenging.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #17

Thumbs up Fighting the corrosion worm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyaim View Post
Thank you all so much! He ran thru checked all the wires, didn't find anything disconnected or anything...went ahead and put everything back together. It fired up right away and had battery power. Basically, he did nothing, replaced nothing. So who knows!

Regardless, we are going camping this weekend...leaving today after work! I plan on sitting back this weekend with a nice tall long island!
Actually, by moving the connections, he rubbed off enough corrosion to re-establish electrical contact and allow it to work. This experience points up the importance of going through our older coaches and cleaning every electrical connection we find.

I use a small rotary wire brush in my old Dremel. After both sides of the connection are clean and shiny, I put on some silicon dielectric compound (from Radio Shack or your local auto parts store) to prevent it from corroding any more. You would be surprised at the number of things I've brought back to life that way...

Glad you'll be able to enjoy your coach this weekend!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #18

Well, the mh started right up no problem, showed good battery level. As soon as we pulled from the driveway it blew a fuse to the battery level then died. So nope, wasn't fixed. We made it about 30-45 seconds up the road. We had to unhook my car, go get the truck to hookup the dolly and jump the camper. DH was able to get the camper turned around, then basically coast home after it died again.

DH found a burnt wire that is connected to the isolator. He is ordering the isolator right now and doing some trouble shooting with the local rv repair shop here. OMG, cross your fingers this is it!!! We get 2 weeks vacation a year. Our vacation starts in a week on Saturday! We have plans to get away with NO kids for 4 days!!! After almost 19 years of marriage we've never gotten away for me than 1 full day and 1 night. We are so looking forward to this!
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #19

Well, Yesterday we bypassed the isolator and started up the mh using only the engine battery. She ran until we turned her off. The battery didn't drain and die on us. The new isolator will be here Wednesday. Hopefully it will be the answer!!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #20

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
May want to check your starter cable as well! There was a post a couple weeks ago about an alternator frying due to a short where the positive starter wire was touching ground.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #21

Well, I just picked up the isolator! I'm hoping for the best...
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #22

The isolator is installed. It started right up and kept on running! BUT, the fuel pump won't shut off, even when mh is off! And, if I turn on a/c the battery starts to drain. So I'm making hubby go get a new battery and trouble shoot the fuel pump issue.

I'm going camping this week one way or another!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyaim View Post
The isolator is installed. It started right up and kept on running! BUT, the fuel pump won't shut off, even when mh is off! And, if I turn on a/c the battery starts to drain. So I'm making hubby go get a new battery and trouble shoot the fuel pump issue.

I'm going camping this week one way or another!!!
Guys, please; stop and take a breath! If you just start throwing parts at the problem it can get very expensive! I'm suggesting that you think it through and DIAGNOSE the situation.

This is a diagram of the charging circuit that should be pretty close to what you have got. First, make sure you don't have a self-inflicted problem by going over your wiring to make sure that it is hooked up properly and all the wires are functional (not frayed, corroded, accidentally grounded somewhere, contacts clean and tight, etc.). THEN try to figure out what isn't working properly. Of course you have to know how something is supposed to work to figure out if it is working properly. If you suspect something is no good, HAVE IT TESTED. Batteries are easy to check. Here is what Fleetwood says about the fuel pump:
Quote:
Fuel pumps—P-30 Chevrolet 1980’s

Electric booster gas fuel pump, (Fleetwood installed) 1980’s P-30 Chevrolet Class A
Chassis. This fuel pump was normally located on the outer passenger side rear rail, right
in alignment with the fuel tank. The fuel pump may be a Holly Model ST802 or a Carter
or a Walbro. The engine oil pressure switch normally controlled this electric fuel pump.
After the engine is started, the oil pressure switch sends power to a bulkhead Bosch relay
that then sends power to the electric booster fuel pump. There are two fuses in the circuit.
One for the oil pressure switch, and one for the bulkhead relay.

The Chevrolet OEM vacuum fuel pump was still used and located at the engine front,
passenger side lower area. The additional electric fuel pump was added for vapor lock
conditions and lack of fuel in certain situations.

When the Fleetwood installed electric fuel pump fails, the engine has a hard time running
as the engine is starving for fuel. By-passing the fuel line around the electric fuel pump is
ok for an emergency repair situation as long as a Dealer/mechanic does this as a
temporary repair.

(Note) We have found some Chevrolet chassis that have an OEM electric fuel pump in
the gas tank along with the side mounted electric fuel pump installed by Fleetwood.
If you have specific questions about how something is supposed to work or need a diagram, I may have it in my files... just ask.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the "Carter street/strip" electric fuel pump on my 83 (454) externally (near the tank), The PSI was correct at 6 pounds.

Around town below 40 MPH the Carter was not needed BUT at 60 MPH and above the margine of fuel supply diminished until the external pump was turned on and the engine resumed normal levels of power.

Anyone ever replace the electric pump in the middle of NOWHERE...!!!

Finally decided to spend more money on a good mechanical fuel pump that would eliminate the need for a external critter so the "Edelbrock 1722" pump was ordered up, The Edelbrock pump is dang good cuz the PSI is at 6 which the Quad carb likes......And it will deliver 110 GPH flow....

Downside (not my opinion) is there is NO return line but on aftermarket fuel pumps none of them do....

During the late 60s and early 70s none of the big block muscle cars had them either but they had huge vent lines......

Jim

Tags
alternator, replacement