Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Or just for kicks try a tank of premium the next time you travel that pass you are concerned about.
If the engine is not tuned to use it that will only make your wallet thinner.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
If the engine is not tuned to use it that will only make your wallet thinner.
X2 two Eddie - X2.I agree.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombstoneJim View Post
The only place I have ever seen altitude compensating carburetors is on airplanes.

me to
we even had a semester on it and lots of tests back in the day
vote one for a tbi conversion.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Aiplanes have altitude compensating carbs..
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
It's a smog emissions loaded down low compression engine.The heads don't flow worth nothing.I worked on I would guess thousands of them while I worked as a engine tester at the Chevy Engine plant in Tonn,NY.All depends on how much depth $$$$$$ you want to put into it.Carb/dizzy rework will get you close to what Chevy claims it should be.Compression dictates much about cam choices and heads control flow rates.Again that could get expensive.Good thing is if you wanted to build for what it should be,you have a base in C.I.'s to build for torque,which is what you want.Cooling cast into the block with Siamese cylinders has to be mag'ed between the bores and the bore thickness needs to be sonic checked for thickness and shift before any internal work can be done which must be done with deck plates.The bores on these do move around alot.Remember a engine is just a air pump and the amount of gain from exhaust mods is relevant to the restriction of the smog heads,in part,your working with.Same holds true for intake,carb,cam.The heads restriction is like a funnel your trying to get around and those are 76cc chamber heads which a very low compression heads.It's because of that I am refraining from suggesting a EFI to replace the carb which then it wouldn't matter how high you where driving through.

So as everyone suggested carb/dizzy might be your cheapest.Just watch the timing on the dizzy.Don't go too wild.400's heads/head gaskets are not heat friendly.And before you do that,do a leakdown test and compression test to see where your at with this engine.Let us know how the compression tests works out and if you have a low cylinder.Don't lose sight of your working with a engine that is how many yrs old??.And you never said how many miles are on it.
Not arrogance-but I think a re-read is worth it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
I almost forgot.Altitude carbs have to have a consideration for the"possibility" of a increase flow rate to feed the engine(intake,heads, cam,intake valves/exhaust valve/exhaust).Your low compression stock engine almost doesn't.
I should have said because of the limits of his stock components.......that isn't a option.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #21

You have to manually lean an aircraft engine with a mixture knob. New Fadec controls do it for you. Same with aircraft fuel injection.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The distributer was taken out, cleaned and modified somehow by a close friend. He changed the springs and weights (I think) and made sure the bottom was all tickety-boo for MPG increase. This was done prior to our recent 11,000 mile trip. The unit is now proudly showing 001093 on her odometer so I would guess a tad over 100,000 miles are on her.

Going east we had no problems with all three of the passes on I-90 but coming west we kept running out of power. I did notice that four western states all see 84 Octane and we switched to 87 or 89 but not the 92 as the engine wouldn't really benefit from the increase. I was in Missoula MT when told about these special carburetors but the mechanic I was chatting with claimed he hadn't seen one in years because the EFI was putting specialty carburetor makers out of business.

They did advance my timing to help with the bigger heights upcoming and suggested I get the timing reset when I got back to our normal altitude area. This has been done. Thanks all for the information and suggestions.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
The distributer was taken out, cleaned and modified somehow by a close friend. He changed the springs and weights (I think) and made sure the bottom was all tickety-boo for MPG increase. This was done prior to our recent 11,000 mile trip. The unit is now proudly showing 001093 on her odometer so I would guess a tad over 100,000 miles are on her.

Going east we had no problems with all three of the passes on I-90 but coming west we kept running out of power. I did notice that four western states all see 84 Octane and we switched to 87 or 89 but not the 92 as the engine wouldn't really benefit from the increase. I was in Missoula MT when told about these special carburetors but the mechanic I was chatting with claimed he hadn't seen one in years because the EFI was putting specialty carburetor makers out of business.

They did advance my timing to help with the bigger heights upcoming and suggested I get the timing reset when I got back to our normal altitude area. This has been done. Thanks all for the information and suggestions.
These RV's typically have 4.11 or more rear end gear ratios with like yours a three speed automatic.They do get abit tired at around 80,000 to 100,000 miles.The reason for the range on that is it depends what cruise speeds the RV was run at.
I suggest you do the compression/leakdown tests to get a handle what condition you engine is at.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #24

Normally aspirated engines lose power with altitude. Only way around it is a blower or turbocharger. Cruel facts of life. All an altitude compensating carburetor does is adjust the mixture. The power still decreases.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Denise and I had a chat this morning an we have decided to retire Tinker and look for a bigger unit with larger EFI motor or a diesel pusher if I can find one we can afford. We only buy what we can pay cash for as we don't charge anything that we play in or on.

We have located a few "A" class units on the Island and will be going to look at them over the next week. Will apprise all of our progress.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #26

Hi Possum,

A newer RV sounds great, but don't buy one just to get over some mountains. Our first motorhome was a 1976 Midas Mini with a carbureted small block 400 Chevy. We drove this in the American and Canadian Rockies, and the only issue was that the automatic choke made it run way too rich under startup at high altitude until the engine warmed and the choke shut off and the black exhaust smoke ceased. For a later trip to the same area, I converted to a manual choke for just a few dollars and the engine started fine at altitude without using the choke (An old trick on carburetor engines at high altitudes used to be to stick a clothespin on the choke butterfly to keep it from activating). Gas engines run richer at higher altitudes since the mixture is the same, but the air has less oxygen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Denise and I had a chat this morning an we have decided to retire Tinker and look for a bigger unit with larger EFI motor or a diesel pusher if I can find one we can afford. We only buy what we can pay cash for as we don't charge anything that we play in or on.

We have located a few "A" class units on the Island and will be going to look at them over the next week. Will apprise all of our progress.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #27

I just can't stress how important it is for him to ascertain the condition of the engine his has first with the two tests I suggested.That should be the driving force behind any decision he and his wife makes.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The reason for the change of machines is that we want something bigger as we plan to do even more traveling up down and around. At times we found Tinker to be a tad restrictive of room and we were getting in one another's way.

The ones we are looking at are all 454 (5) powered and have minimum 4 speed automatics. Tinker will be retained and used when we go on extended fishing trips on the Island.

We do plan to go to Alaska and Florida in the next couple of years as Denise hasn't been to either place. The idea of having a back (separate) bedroom has Denise all a ga ga.

Thanks all for you suggestions and ideas. The Fuel Injector unit to fit Tinker is about $1,800.00 according to my buddy who owns a local auto parts store. Looking forward to getting on with the next phase of our RV adventures.