Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Question "ALTUS" battery monitor (VINTAGE)??

Hello All:
Anyone know anything about an "ALTUS" battery power monitor ?
Unit made in the 80's/90's, in Minneapolis Mn. , most likely for the marine industry.
Doing a web search took me to an ALTUS company but they claim no knowledge of this unit.
I suspect that it is looking at battery voltage only, given the size of the wiring (18 gauge stranded , color coded) which disappears into the dash and wire-loom harnesses.
Any information would be a big help !

73, John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #2

I think you're probably right John, just a simple voltmeter. Probably best used to check battery draw-down under heavy use situations, such as starting the engine, etc...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
I think you're probably right John, just a simple voltmeter. Probably best used to check battery draw-down under heavy use situations, such as starting the engine, etc...
I suspect your right Gary.
I have not "DRIVEN" the meter it's self with an external source as yet , will do that next trip to Ga.in the fall, if it proves to be just a glorified volt meter I will then get into the wiring harness and trace out what it is really looking at as well as where the "extra" wires go and hopefully what they are doing (if anything).
A word to other readers: If you make changes to wiring (or anything else) DOCUMENT THE CHANGES ! , draw schematics, take pix, make notes in the manuals of what you did , why you did it, when you did it, and keep ALL the documentation together .
Makes it easier to change back if needed, both for you and the next owner .
Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
If you make changes to wiring (or anything else) DOCUMENT THE CHANGES ! , draw schematics, take pix, make notes in the manuals of what you did , why you did it, when you did it, and keep ALL the documentation together .
Makes it easier to change back if needed, both for you and the next owner .
Boy, THAT is a fact, and excellent advice! The '88 Winnie we recently bought was far "cleaner" of "amateur re-engineering" than most in the wiring department - but even at that, there was enough to be a pain! The headlights only operated on low beam, the turn signal stalk switch normally used to dim the lights had apparently failed, and instead of replacing it properly, a former owner had simply massacred the wiring so that when the headlights were turned on, only the low beams were active.

I ended up completely re-wiring the headlights, using #10 wire thru relays direct to the battery, and switched by a new dash mounted dimmer switch, and wired so that in the hi-beam setting, both hi AND lo beams are operating - the lights are better now than when the MH was new. The windshield washer didn't work - someone had also butchered that as well, so had to fix it. Someone had installed a newer dash radio with cassette player - and even though the MH has nice front and rear stereo speakers, whoever wired the newer radio has wired ALL the speakers in series - and the impedance mismatch creates severe distortion, not to mention the lack of proper front/rear fader and stereo isolation.

BUT, in looking at older MH's, ours is FAR better than most in the "owner improved", butchered wiring department - but I suppose in the eyes of some, I am also guilty of "amateur re-engineering" of the electrical system!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical wiring, vintage